Reversible AKG K701 bass mod
Feb 22, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #122 of 398
You know, the bumps on the SRH 940 bothered me a bunch more. I don't even notice them and the pads are much more comfy on the Q 701.

go to e baby section in any shopping mall. They sell these cotton wraps that is suppose to wrap around e seat belts on prams to made it more comfortable for e toddler. Buy one n wrap around e headband. Problem solved. Some more it is washable

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #123 of 398
go to e baby section in any shopping mall. They sell these cotton wraps that is suppose to wrap around e seat belts on prams to made it more comfortable for e toddler. Buy one n wrap around e headband. Problem solved. Some more it is washable

Thanks for the good idea, but I have no pain at all with the Q 701, which is what I said there. In fact, I finished wearing the Q 701 for more than 3 hours straight without any pain whatsoever.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #124 of 398
  Has someone already asked Tyll to graph a bass modded Q 701? I'm very curious to see what it does exactly.

So am I. I've sent an email to Tyll when posting about the mod here, and basically he was interested. But he said he had a lot of other things to do. Maybe if somebody could lend him a modded model he'd give them a listen. If anybody else feels like it, please send him an email, maybe he has the time to measure it now.

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #125 of 398
How to Mod the Q701 bass port:

Quote:

2. START W/ THE RIGHT GRILL!! Find a thumb tack. It's too fat to go all the way through, so don't worry about poking anything. Once you have penetrated the hole of your choice (just the tip), gently, but forcefully begin to rotate counter clockwise. You should notice the grill spin ever so slightly.

3. Now just "pry" open w/ the tack or turn over and it should fall off. You can see the mechanism and peeking out from the shadows is...

4. THE FOAMY! Pick up, place on desk. Don't forget which side is which. Honestly, I have no idea if this matters, but one side is darker than the other.

5. 2 screws! UNSCREW them!! Sadly, I did not snap a photo for the next step, so I'll do my best here:
   a. The cover is "snapped" in on the L and R sides w/ one of those little "plastic hook" thingamajigs that push out.
   b. Start w/ the one on the right (it was easier for me) by pushing in and up...carefully.
   c. Be mindful of the wire guide covers as those also need to be "popped" out.
   d. The left side was very difficult for me, so be aware you may need to use some trickery here.

6. Honestly...to me...it looks like one of those little band-aids for razer cuts, lol.

7. All you really need to do here is pry the tape/glue up enough to get hold of it with...

8. Tweezers! I use LA CROSS. High quality from Wal-Mart. You'll need to do quite a bit of pulling here, but it worked for me.

9. I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Lastly, apply the stickers.

The end.

Bump for props and Q701 late comers like myself.

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #127 of 398
  I just did the bass mod and it was a piece of cake to do. All I must say is why don't the Q701 come with the sticker removed by default because it is that much better without it!

I think AKG just didn't know what it sounded like with it off. Also, when it's off it's more likely to get dust or hair inside to the driver.

The K400 doesn't sound so good with this mod, so maybe AKG tried it in the past with other models and it didn't give them good results.

AKG should either A) experiment with the mod and release a Q702 (or similar) or B) release a stock Q701 with K712 pads.

I bet they could tune the Q701 with the port mod and even have it sound good with K712 pads.

I really want to try and tweak the port mode to make it compatible with K712 pads. When I tried that combo it was warmth overdose.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #128 of 398
Oh come on, not yet another incarnation of the same headphone. We already have umpteen models of the K701. What we really need is a measurement of this mod
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #129 of 398
From the guide above:
"b. Start w/ the one on the right (it was easier for me) by pushing in and up...carefully.
c. Be mindful of the wire guide covers as those also need to be "popped" out.
d. The left side was very difficult for me, so be aware you may need to use some trickery here."

A usefull hint to this procedure:
The whole earcup is fixed to work like a ball joint, it can move in all directions. Tip the cup forward, notice a little hole appearing on the round suface otherwise hidden. Take an appropiate tool, stick it in the hole and push to release the hinge. Then tip the cup backwards to access the second hinge.

Hope this makes sense.

Mar 2, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #130 of 398
  Oh come on, not yet another incarnation of the same headphone. We already have umpteen models of the K701. What we really need is a measurement of this mod
smily_headphones1.gif

Tyll is usually quite a busy guy, but hopefully he will answer my email request for this very thing. If you guys also want to try to loan him a modded Q 701, email him here:
tyll@innerfidelity.com

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #133 of 398
  Sonic have you gotten a reply from Tyll?

Nope, not yet. If more of you email him, he may answer. He is quite a busy fellow. Between being Editor in Chief of Innerfidelity and the biggest voice in the headphone world, he can sometimes take months to reply. From my experience, it was this way while awaiting an answer to an inquiry about Innerfidelity's graphs.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #134 of 398
So glad I found this thread.
I am a big fan of the Sennheiser HD600/650, and listening to the thinner, more analytical, bass lighter sound of the stock Q 701 was hard to bear.
Tried the round white tape removal bass mod on my Q 701's, and really like the results a lot.
Better bass impact, a more balanced, slightly warmer sound overall, vocals, and other instruments such as piano's, etc., strangely enough, even seem to take on more weight and body.
Another strange side effect is that the modded Q 701's seem to go louder without breaking up.
This mod makes this headphone much more listenable in my opinion.
Was thinking about selling my Q 701, but I am seriously having second thoughts now!

Thanks for this simple yet very effective mod!
LD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back