RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
May 11, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #6,031 of 6,034
You need to double check what model you have. Sounds like you have the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, not the RME ADI-2 FS. They are different products. A quick internet search of the two models in your search engine of choice should make that pretty clear.
Ah yes, of course, thank you. They're too similarly named for having such a significant difference. I think I was caught out by that when I bought it as an analogue input would have been be useful (sorted now with my Waxwing).

May 11, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #6,032 of 6,034
Very true, there are sonic improvements but as the price goes up there will be diminishing returns with the investment. The RME ADI-2 is a bargain IMO with all its capabilities and customizable functions. I appreciate the recent developments they accomplished with the software/remote dashboard for the PC.
I agree. It's a remarkably competent device that does more than I'll ever need but it's good to know that whatever I throw at it, it can handle. The PEQ was the defining feature for me as I need EQ and when I discovered the 'Remote' dashboard I was sold, it made what I thought was going to be a tedious task setting it up into a simple and easy one. There may be better sounding DACs for the price (although reviewers say it's close) but none do as much or look as cool as the ADI-2. I love it, it's a keeper for me.

May 11, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #6,033 of 6,034
I have purchased Violectric V-222 amp and use RME ADI-2 as DAC, honestly the difference in sound is minimal, V-222 is slightly warmer in sound, but the quality is not better, just different, I assume the same difference applies to tube amps.
My Violectric has more power, which I honestly don't need, I don't play louder now than before just because I have more power, is it worth the difference? for me it was as I like a slightly warmer sound, but the cost is not worth it unless you have the money to spare.
I'm surprised. I don't have very good hearing (I'm old) but the difference between listening on my ADI-2 and S17 amp is clear to me - aside from the extra bass 'weight' that the amp gives, it offers more detail with better sound stage and is more open. I was very happy with the ADI-2's headphone output but when I got the amp I could hear much more. This is only to be expected really as the ADI-2 is primarily a DAC with an amp bolted on, it's not bad at all but it can easily be improved. Cables maybe? They made a big difference on my system, I am very impressed with Supra cables (no connection).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back