SACD Player alternative to CDSA SE?
Jul 4, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
two other players you should look into are the wadia 581i se and the cary 306 sacd pro.

Before I committed on a CDSA SE two months ago, I have a good listen to 3 machines : Emm Labs CDSA SE, Emm Labs 2 box flag ship (Transport + DAC), and Cary 306 SACD Pro.

My impression was the two box flag ship is audibly better than the CDSA SE - though not by a large margin. Both have the same character and I would say the CDSA SE is 93 - 97% of the two box flag ship, but at around 55% of its price.

The Cary 306 SACD Pro has a very different sound signature - a tad warmer, richer sounding, but to my own ears it is one notch audibly below the CDSA SE. The latter has much better staging, imaging and resolution, especially in terms of micro dynamics.

I bought my own test CDs with me for the auditioning. Amongst them is a FIM K2 HD 076 (Track 1 and 3). This is one good testing CD to really test the capability of a CD player. It is not SACD but should provide a good objective basis.

For SACD, the Emm Labs has no peers at its price point.

F. Lo

Aug 22, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #18 of 19
Got the CDSA recently!

Extremely resolved, yet musical and pleasantly natural presentation.
Not a hint of congestion, harshness, glare or floor noise.
Fast. No smearing of guitar strings. Nice separation between instruments, big soundstage.

Excelent, amazing player. Couldn't be happier with my current gear.
Go EMM Labs and never look back!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before I committed on a CDSA SE two months ago, I have a good listen to 3 machines : Emm Labs CDSA SE, Emm Labs 2 box flag ship (Transport + DAC), and Cary 306 SACD Pro.

My impression was the two box flag ship is audibly better than the CDSA SE - though not by a large margin. Both have the same character and I would say the CDSA SE is 93 - 97% of the two box flag ship, but at around 55% of its price.

The Cary 306 SACD Pro has a very different sound signature - a tad warmer, richer sounding, but to my own ears it is one notch audibly below the CDSA SE. The latter has much better staging, imaging and resolution, especially in terms of micro dynamics.

I bought my own test CDs with me for the auditioning. Amongst them is a FIM K2 HD 076 (Track 1 and 3). This is one good testing CD to really test the capability of a CD player. It is not SACD but should provide a good objective basis.

For SACD, the Emm Labs has no peers at its price point.

F. Lo

great impressions. thanks for writing them down. the 306 pro and cdsa se are both high on my list for when and if i ever decide to try another player.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoFreire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got the CDSA recently!

Extremely resolved, yet musical and pleasantly natural presentation.
Not a hint of congestion, harshness, glare or floor noise.
Fast. No smearing of guitar strings. Nice separation between instruments, big soundstage.

Excelent, amazing player. Couldn't be happier with my current gear.
Go EMM Labs and never look back!
smily_headphones1.gif

glad it worked out. emm labs never fails to impress. though i haven't heard the one box unit yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back