Schiit Kara - Impressions Thread
May 7, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #196 of 208
After several weeks of playing Kara in x4 mode I am convinced that the higher gain stage needs to warm up to express itself. If x1 is in use for a long time, switching x4 on does not provide a correct comparison.

Leaving x4 on a long time completely opens the soundstage and provides a very dynamic and rich tone. Also very linear amplitude-wise, with similar presentation at low and high volumes. Still neutral and not the 2nd harmonic color of tube sound.

x4 is now my preferred gain stage, in my case driving Tyrs and transparent/wide-range large Magneplanars. Balanced connections from Yggy+ OG and to Tyr.

I also have Tyrs driving a pair Magnepans. In my case a pair of 1.7i. I am using a Schiit Freya S usually on x4 (Yggy OG). I would like to upgrade my pre-amp and I am thinking about getting a HoloAudio Serene. However I am wondering if the Kara is enough of an improvement over the Freya S that with the Serene the juice may not be worth the squeeze. I do like the ergonomics of the Serene with digital volume level readout and power button on front.

May 7, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #197 of 208
Hi friends. Just to kind of follow up on a previous post here of mine. Managed to spend some considerable time with the Final Audio D-8000 (original tuning) while using the Schiit Kara strictly as a headphone amplifier.
My findings are that the High Gain setting is the money shot with this headphone in terms of voltage/current output relationships. It is the best gain setting and I’ll hover around 60 to 70% of the volume dial depending on the recording/ mastering/mixing levels, which is more than enough volume I think to satisfy anyone.
Anyhow. The Kara being as neutral and uncoloured as it is offers a nice window into the soul of your other existing equipment if you will. I feel the match between the D-8000 and the Kara is that of a good one. The D-8000 is definitely a headphone that can tell you a lot about your existing setup or sound chain and what the Kara does for the D-8000 is it helps keep its bass in check while offering a nice clean, quick and punchy sound.
A good example is the album ‘Genexus’ by Fear Factory.
I find you need an amplifier that is quick in transient response and attack. The Kara definitely has this and when listening to ‘Genexus’ the Kara delivers so much enjoyment and accuracy to this type of music. Really excels with music that is complex and fast.
Overall, The D-8000 tells me so much about the Kara’s character. It isn’t the deepest or more holographic sounding amplifier and it isn’t seriously rich in tonality. It also doesn’t elevate bass. What the Kara delivers is accuracy and speed on a nice level soundstage that isn’t embellished in any way. The treble is clean. The bass is even and I really enjoy how the amp just allows my other existing equipment to show its true character. I’m really glad I bought the Kara. I think the value for it is insanely good and the amplifier itself sounds so different than any of my other existing amps and that is what I truly wanted. Difference. 👍
Kara is a good amp and delivers one of the best even keel sonic presentations I think I’ve ever heard.
As I finished off listening to Genexus with the D-8000 and the Kara I said to myself, ‘man, there really isn’t anything wrong with this.’
…I just keep tapping my feet, fellas. I don’t find fault. I’m just switching off and enjoying what I’m hearing. In short. Kara is a win with the D-8000 in my experience.

Attachments

• IMG_7842.jpeg
    IMG_7842.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
May 8, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #198 of 208
Checking in again, this thread seems to have died down. Anyway thought I would mention about the two speaker cables I had described earlier. I have a new amplifier (Hypex NilaiDIY500 stereo amp), and with that amp I am using the Blue Jeans Cable 10 Ga Belden with locking bananas. With the Hypex amp, the BJC cables sound great. Plenty of Bass and dynamics, very transparent, beautiful midrange, etc. I theorize that the Hypex amp has a much larger damping factor and maybe this makes it less sensitive to variation in speaker cables? Just a guess...

The Schiit Kara preamp and the Hypex amp are a very good combination. I am using the 1X buffered output on the Kara and the mid gain (21.8 dB) setting on the Hypex. Speakers are 91.5 dB efficient.
I also have the same Nilai500DIY but mono amp. I am considering either to get this Kara or Holo Serene. I just want a transparent preamplifier. Don't feel like spending too much too. Initially, wanted to change DAC as I wanted to upgrade from my Chord Cutest but still I cannot find fault on it. I am loving my Cutest. Therefore, I am considering to get a good transparent preamplifier. Currently, I am using my M5si as a preamplifier. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #207 of 208
I also have Tyrs driving a pair Magnepans. In my case a pair of 1.7i. I am using a Schiit Freya S usually on x4 (Yggy OG). I would like to upgrade my pre-amp and I am thinking about getting a HoloAudio Serene. However I am wondering if the Kara is enough of an improvement over the Freya S that with the Serene the juice may not be worth the squeeze. I do like the ergonomics of the Serene with digital volume level readout and power button on front.

Why not ask Ron about it. I couldn't imagine the Kara keeping up with the Serene, tho. https://www.youtube.com/@Newrecordday2013/search?query=Holo Audio Serene

May 10, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #208 of 208
Why not ask Ron about it. I couldn't imagine the Kara keeping up with the Serene, tho. https://www.youtube.com/@Newrecordday2013/search?query=Holo Audio Serene
Thank you. Not sure if Ron has heard the Kara. I know he liked the Serene much better than the Freya N. However the Kara by all indications is much better than the Freya N. I agree there is probably enough going on with the Serene to give you something worthwhile for you extra money. Ergonomics and even sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back