Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Dec 10, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #2,296 of 6,930
Considering purchasing an MJ2 to pair with my Gumby. Really attracted to the excellent macrodynamics and slam.

However I'm a little concerned from several comments that the MJ2 doesn't have great extension, particularly in the sub-bass. Is that true? And if I'm looking for an amp to pair with the Gumby that has great slam and excellent extension and soundstage, is there something else I should consider instead?

I don't really own many amps, so I can not confirm if the MJ2 lack sub-bass. I am currently using the mj2 / gungnir MB stack with HE1000 and TH-X00. It definitely gives enough power to the bass department to put a smile on my face. You can also get into tube rolling if you want more bass. I am sure there are some great tubes out there that add great sub bass. Comparing to my other portable DAPS, I dont see any problem with the mj2 / gungnir stack. It is a landslide victory in terms of performance.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #2,297 of 6,930
Considering purchasing an MJ2 to pair with my Gumby. Really attracted to the excellent macrodynamics and slam.

However I'm a little concerned from several comments that the MJ2 doesn't have great extension, particularly in the sub-bass. Is that true? And if I'm looking for an amp to pair with the Gumby that has great slam and excellent extension and soundstage, is there something else I should consider instead?

I found that subbass is dependent on the tubes on the MJ2. For the 2c51/5670 tubes the WE 5 Star Triple Micas have nice subbass but it’s a little loose. Going from the Seimen’s E88CCs to the Phillips Miniwatts E188CCs there’s a jump in punch and lower end extension.

Dec 10, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #2,298 of 6,930
I found that subbass is dependent on the tubes on the MJ2. For the 2c51/5670 tubes the WE 5 Star Triple Micas have nice subbass but it’s a little loose. Going from the Seimen’s E88CCs to the Phillips Miniwatts E188CCs there’s a jump in punch and lower end extension.
I agree, tubes can make a noticeable difference in the sound.

Dec 10, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #2,299 of 6,930
Okay thanks, sounds like the MJ2 is still a good option as long as it is possible to get good extension, even if it means I must try out different tubes to do so. I'm not really sure I will enjoy tube rolling but I suppose in the end it will be worth it!

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #2,301 of 6,930
Honestly just get some 5670s and be done with it. They are cheaper, easier to find and sound pretty damn good.

Dec 11, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #2,302 of 6,930
LISSTs make an excellent palate cleanser between tubes. But if you're really worried, get Jotunada for less than half the price.

But I'd lean MJ2.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #2,303 of 6,930
Thanks for the advice! I also strongly considered a Freya+Jot combo, which might have been awesome, but I'll probably never know, since I just placed the order for an MJ2 instead. Currently waiting in the backorder queue.

Dec 15, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #2,304 of 6,930
Out of interest, would you say the potentially weak sub-bass is purely due to tube choice or an inherent part of the amp's sound signature, accentuated by the tubes? That is, relative to something like an OTL amp (paired with high impedance headphones) is the Mjolnir 2 "bass light"?

Dec 15, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #2,305 of 6,930
I can't say that I ever really found a lack of sub bass even with the LISST I do much prefer the sound overall with my iFi 6922 though.

Dec 15, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #2,306 of 6,930
Trying to decide whether to buy Jotunheim or Mjolnir 2 for my HD600, HD800S and Utopia.

Advantage of Jot is I don't need to worry about power cycling or leaving it on unattended, so I can either switch it on and off as and when I need to listen on HPs, or if I know I'm going to be using HPs several times that day I can just leave the amp on all day and not worry about the risk of electrical fault. Disadvantage of Jot is it sounds a bit flat and sterile to my ears.

Advantage of Mjolnir 2 is it's a more engaging listen with better 3D soundstaging. Disadvantage is it runs hot, so I wouldn't want to leave it on unattended, and being a tube amp I also wouldn't want to power cycle it multiple times a day.

If I decide to go for Mjolnir 2, would it dangerous to put it in my wooden hifi rack shown in the pic below? It would sit on the top shelf (displacing the Mac Mini and Bifrost) on top of a granite tile, with approximately 6 inches gap between the tubes and the top of the cabinet.

37902227694_b408c1f047_o.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #2,307 of 6,930
Trying to decide whether to buy Jotunheim or Mjolnir 2 for my HD600, HD800S and Utopia.

Advantage of Jot is I don't need to worry about power cycling or leaving it on unattended, so I can either switch it on and off as and when I need to listen on HPs, or if I know I'm going to be using HPs several times that day I can just leave the amp on all day and not worry about the risk of electrical fault. Disadvantage of Jot is it sounds a bit flat and sterile to my ears.

Advantage of Mjolnir 2 is it's a more engaging listen with better 3D soundstaging. Disadvantage is it runs hot, so I wouldn't want to leave it on unattended, and being a tube amp I also wouldn't want to power cycle it multiple times a day.

If I decide to go for Mjolnir 2, would it dangerous to put it in my wooden hifi rack shown in the pic below? It would sit on the top shelf (displacing the Mac Mini and Bifrost) on top of a granite tile, with approximately 6 inches gap between the tubes and the top of the cabinet.

37902227694_b408c1f047_o.jpg

I think you've answered your own question. What's more important? Heat dissipation or sound quality?
Plus, that top shelf with 6" above the tubes should be more than adequate and the shelf is fully open in the front and rear.
These are small signal not power tubes. Contact Nick T at tech@schiit.com for your final answer and piece of mind.
I own all 3 of those phones, my personal preference is for the MJ2 with the right tubes, over Jot.

Dec 27, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #2,309 of 6,930
Thanks for the advice! I also strongly considered a Freya+Jot combo, which might have been awesome, but I'll probably never know, since I just placed the order for an MJ2 instead. Currently waiting in the backorder queue.

I've been in the queue since Nov. 30. At that time it was:

"Status: Backordered. Orders placed now estimated to ship the week of December 29th."

I just checked, now it says:

"Status: Backordered. Orders placed now estimated to ship the week of January 19th."

No big deal, though it would have been nice to get email alerting me.

Dec 27, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #2,310 of 6,930
Getting a pair of iFi 6922 for New Year, really excited to compare them to my current Siemens E188CC that I enjoy most of the time now. Has anyone tried iFi tubes in MJ2 yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back