Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
May 1, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #1,996 of 2,006
So if I use a sub and listen in "headphone only" mode does the sub get the lower frequencies instead of the headphones?
No, there is no internal crossover.

May 2, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #1,997 of 2,006
So if I use a sub and listen in "headphone only" mode does the sub get the lower frequencies instead of the headphones?
The idea there is that the HD600 has a very famously rolled off bass, and anybody hardcore enough to do this kind of thing would have a subwoofer with an LPF on it. Set the LPF and subwoofer volume to taste.

May 2, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #1,998 of 2,006
Well maybe this amp just isn't for someone like me. Would be nice to have a "one and done" solution for both speakers and headphones. But I'll just have to keep those two separate.

May 2, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #1,999 of 2,006
Well maybe this amp just isn't for someone like me. Would be nice to have a "one and done" solution for both speakers and headphones. But I'll just have to keep those two separate.
With this between the amp and sub:
https://www.schiit.com/products/sys

You have a one and done solution.

If this is somehow more of a pain in the ass than two solutions, I will be shocked.

However, as always, the choice is yours.

May 2, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #2,000 of 2,006
It's a great dual purpose amp, just not for your specific needs - unless @thefitz got the right answer for you.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #2,001 of 2,006
So I snagged the just an amp and have had it about a week now. I have a Bifrost 2/64 and Triangle Comete 40th speakers. First of all I love the volume precision of this amp. The last few amps I’ve had and have seem to go quiet to loud quickly, build is great as well. I think I’m having a hard time adjusting though to the transparency perhaps. I feel vocals have really taken over compared to my quad vena 2 amp. I can’t believe I’m saying this but I feel a bit of magic is gone from some songs I really like. One of my favorite bands the war on drugs I’m having a hard time detecting the synth in the background was the first thing I noticed on the song under the pressure. I’m gonna keep going with it for a few more days as it’s a major hit to send it back when I paid in Canadian.

May 3, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #2,002 of 2,006
So I snagged the just an amp and have had it about a week now. I have a Bifrost 2/64 and Triangle Comete 40th speakers. First of all I love the volume precision of this amp. The last few amps I’ve had and have seem to go quiet to loud quickly, build is great as well. I think I’m having a hard time adjusting though to the transparency perhaps. I feel vocals have really taken over compared to my quad vena 2 amp. I can’t believe I’m saying this but I feel a bit of magic is gone from some songs I really like. One of my favorite bands the war on drugs I’m having a hard time detecting the synth in the background was the first thing I noticed on the song under the pressure. I’m gonna keep going with it for a few more days as it’s a major hit to send it back when I paid in Canadian.
This is w speakers only? If comparing headphones, please if possible use the XLR output vs the SE output, it specs and sounds well better - esp on power hungry planars.

I bought my Rag 1 in 2016 after a long face off with my then Pass X-150 amp. The Rag 1 had a slightly narrower stage, and slightly less impact in the bass, and a whitish/washed bit around 6k - but these were all minor. The Rag 2 has more power, better bass impact, and a more coherent treble than the Rag 1. Between '16 and '23 I used my Rag 1 with Triangle Celius 202's (w/ ribbon tweet I installed along with lowering treble output) - and it was very nice.

Quad has been known to make some very excellent amps - not to mention speakers - I have a friend looking for a small high quality Integrated and this Vera 2 seems like a good choice to look into.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #2,003 of 2,006
This is w speakers only? If comparing headphones, please if possible use the XLR output vs the SE output, it specs and sounds well better - esp on power hungry planars.

I bought my Rag 1 in 2016 after a long face off with my then Pass X-150 amp. The Rag 1 had a slightly narrower stage, and slightly less impact in the bass, and a whitish/washed bit around 6k - but these were all minor. The Rag 2 has more power, better bass impact, and a more coherent treble than the Rag 1. Between '16 and '23 I used my Rag 1 with Triangle Celius 202's (w/ ribbon tweet I installed along with lowering treble output) - and it was very nice.

Quad has been known to make some very excellent amps - not to mention speakers - I have a friend looking for a small high quality Integrated and this Vera 2 seems like a good choice to look into.
I have pretty basic HP with the drop 58x. I didn’t have any real complaints with them but I rarely use them. I don’t even think there is a real issue other then I think the amp is just maybe not quite the match with my speakers which lack bass somewhat. The quad (and the little SMsL ao200 I had) both seemed just to help out more. The vocals sounds great. I’m gonna try out my other speakers with the amp later.
Thanks for your insights. I do like the quad amp, my only real complaint is it will suffer from interference when my phone is around. Whenever I get texts, messages or emails phone calls it will buzz annoyingly so I had moved it to a vinyl setup.

May 3, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #2,004 of 2,006
I have pretty basic HP with the drop 58x. I didn’t have any real complaints with them but I rarely use them. I don’t even think there is a real issue other then I think the amp is just maybe not quite the match with my speakers which lack bass somewhat. The quad (and the little SMsL ao200 I had) both seemed just to help out more. The vocals sounds great. I’m gonna try out my other speakers with the amp later.
Thanks for your insights. I do like the quad amp, my only real complaint is it will suffer from interference when my phone is around. Whenever I get texts, messages or emails phone calls it will buzz annoyingly so I had moved it to a vinyl setup.
Yes, very interested in what you report going forward - I'm a fan, but, reasonable and well considered opinions always welcome.

May 4, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #2,005 of 2,006
Yes, very interested in what you report going forward - I'm a fan, but, reasonable and well considered opinions always welcome.
Spent afternoon yesterday with no distractions comparing as best I could. Loves the Rag 2 with my headphones, easily the best they have sounded. Again with my speakers though I just kept coming back to feeling that vocals were dominating tracks and I was missing some bass I guess. I also fired up some games on my pc and felt the same that it sounded off. Maybe it’s just retuning my brain after hearing he speakers a certain way for a while. I feel like the soundstage is bigger with the rag 2, and definitely it destroys the little Smsl amp for clarity and not getting harsh once I got past 70db. The quad vena still just sounds more enjoyable and instantly could hear synths in some of the war on drugs songs I really like, as well as more engine noise in some of my pc games with racing or airplanes. However the vocals are not as defined. Anyways again I think it’s mostly just a sound signature thing then anything else. The rag 2 destroys the Hp output on the quad amP also.

May 6, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #2,006 of 2,006
So a small update on my madness. Had my partner (and kids came for a bit) come down and listen between the amps. All 3 preferred the Ragnarok 2 with the BF2/64. While my partner agreed that the bass ( and whatever you would call synth) in some songs was different they all liked the clarity, vocals, and overall sound of the Rag 2. So rather then lose a bunch of cash selling or returning it's probably better to just let my ears get used to it (Or buy speakers that have more bass which got me sleep on the couch look).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back