Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
May 3, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #6,511 of 6,519
I've seen the Violectric amps a couple of times in the Classifieds here, but hadn't looked into them before. I'll have to do some research — thanks for the recommendation. I was thinking of getting the iFi go blu for when I'm away from my desk as I've read good things about it. Which iFi do you have/like?

May 3, 2024 at 1:15 AM Post #6,513 of 6,519
I recently got a pair of renewed HD 660S2s for $399 on Amazon and I'm really enjoying them. I'm primarily listening to newer artists including Lorde, boygenius, Julien Baker, Halsey, and then mixed in with some older artists like ABC, Florence + the Machine, R.E.M., Silversun Pickups and so far, for almost all of the tracks I've listened to (several times), the HD 660S2s do not really leave me wanting for more.

Halsey's Ya'aburnee feels like a great example of the headphones to do well in both the mid range and the bass (sub bass?) without struggling. I'm running them off of a fairly lower-end, entry-level FiiO K11 combo DAC/amp as that's all my budget really allowed for at the moment.

I'd love to hear what others are using to power their HD 660S2s and any recommendations you all might have. I won't say that these are "end game", but I do feel like these will last a very long time and are a great value (to me at least).
My HD660S2 headphones sound very nice from Lotoo Paw Gold Touch, balanced.

May 3, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #6,515 of 6,519
Do you have any solid state amps that you've liked with the 660s2's that you'd recommend? I haven't tried tube amps yet, but I plan to eventually so I appreciate the recommendations.
I really enjoy the Violectric V222 with them. Punchy bass, good sound stage, Timbre is excellent. Of course IMHO....

May 3, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #6,516 of 6,519
I've seen the Violectric amps a couple of times in the Classifieds here, but hadn't looked into them before. I'll have to do some research — thanks for the recommendation. I was thinking of getting the iFi go blu for when I'm away from my desk as I've read good things about it. Which iFi do you have/like?
Violectric amps have a warm, full sound. Especially the older ones, such as the V220/V281 and V280/V200. I have also heard some very nice things about the new V202/V222. Other new ones can get Very expensive and are apparently a little more neutral.

I have an iFi Pro iCAN. It was pretty expensive, used. But pretty much any iFi has bass boost and I don't find that the HD660S2 needs a ton of power.

I bought both the above amps used and I traded for my Schiit Valhalla 2. You can save a lot of money if you get creative.

May 3, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #6,517 of 6,519
Hagerman tuba suits the hd660s2 very well but it is no longer for sale.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #6,518 of 6,519
FWIW, I am a big fan of the S2 with the Mjolnir 3. Maybe it’s overkill, but so far I’m not itching to upgrade my cans; the S2 scales as well as the 6-series rep suggests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back