Sennheiser HD820
May 4, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #4,366 of 4,368
The Phonitor XE is a low impedance output (0.36 ohms) - the original Phonitor 2730 had a 9 ohm output impedance and was too noisy with low impedance headphones, but absolutely loved high impedance headphones.

May 4, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #4,367 of 4,368
IMO i'd skip the aftermarket cables and look for an OTL tube amp for the 820. That 300ohm driver really responds to changes in amplifier output impedance, which OTLs specialize in generally. Most solid state amps put out less than one ohm output impedance. OTLs are all over the place but tend to be much much higher, as much as 100ish OI. That creates a more optimal dampening factor for the driver. 300ohm dynamic drivers in general really thrive on tube amplification for this reason. I have an 820 and run mine at work with an old Woo WA3, and the difference between it and a solid state amp is quite noticeable. Everything sounds more spread out and separated, while also having slightly longer decay and an overall more natural sound. Just food for thought.
I am moving to Europe so wanted to hold off on anything tube. I assume it is similar to guitar amps and I would have to put on a transformer. Has anyone used the Woo Mini Tube amp with the HD820?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back