SJY Audio Starry Night Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 16, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #436 of 443
A little update on MJ3 powering Starry Night v1. My MJ3 has been on 24/7 for around 2 weeks now, and I have logged some more time towards breaking it in. With that said, Starry Night sounds better when powered by the MJ3 now. Is it as good as running them off of a speaker amp? No, but it is far better than when I first tried the pairing. Would I recommend getting a MJ3 if most of your headphones are similarly speced to Starry Night? Again no, but for any of SJY's offerings Moonlight and onward, I would give it a whole hearted recommendation. My Moonlight sounds better running it off of the MJ3 than any of the other amps I have tried (ranging from $200 to $1,500 price range). I have yet to own a tube amp, and I may change my opinion once I acquire a $2k+ tube amp that is capable of driving planars, but that is still 2 years from now. :wink:

Just for reference with the MJ3, the more hours logged on it the bass improves. I am still not to the 100 hour + mark that other owners have hit though, lol.

Anyway, Have a nice day, and Happy Listening!

May 17, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #437 of 443
Horizon has arrived
Where is Horizon's forum?
This is my first time writing on head-fi.org

viewimage.php

viewimage.php

viewimage.php

viewimage.php

The Horizon is lighter than the Zmf Atrium I have, but it's still heavy for me.

May 17, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #438 of 443
Horizon has arrived

viewimage.php

viewimage.php

viewimage.php

viewimage.php

I think this has been the defacto SJY thread so it's probably fine to post it here vs separately making a thread?

They look awesome, though!

May 17, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #439 of 443
I think this has been the defacto SJY thread so it's probably fine to post it here vs separately making a thread?

They look awesome, though!

Nice to meet you. I am a non-English speaker and am not good at English. So I often use Google Translator.

Anyway, Horizon arrived quickly and I am listening to it today. Horizon is my second SJY Audio headphone. The first one was Umi.

Horizon clearly shows improvement over Umi. The exterior doesn't seem very cool by my standards :D

May 17, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #440 of 443
Horizon has arrived

viewimage.php

viewimage.php

viewimage.php

viewimage.php

Congrats on the new pair of headphones, and welcome to Head-fi. It could be worse looks wise considering this is the first pair of SJY headphones I purchased.

Attachments

• PXL_20240517_204105968.jpg
    PXL_20240517_204105968.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
May 17, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #441 of 443
Horizon has arrived

viewimage.php

viewimage.php

viewimage.php

viewimage.php

What are your impressions on Horizon's sound signature? How hard is it to drive? I have been looking into getting one but wasn't sure if my Aune S9C Pro would been enough juice.

May 17, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #442 of 443
What are your impressions on Horizon's sound signature? How hard is it to drive? I have been looking into getting one but wasn't sure if my Aune S9C Pro would been enough juice.
If you are running them through the balanced connection then it should be more than enough to power them. Horizon is way more efficient than his previous offerings.

May 17, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #443 of 443

The bass is slightly boosted and the female vocals stand out. (It doesn't stand out as massively as Edition 8.) The sound stage felt wide enough to make me feel slightly dizzy. I felt it was wider than HIFIMAN ARYA V2.
I'm confused as to whether it's an illusion caused by reverberation or whether the sound stage is actually wide.
-
I am using the HPA-A1000 mk2 as a headphone amplifier. When I set the volume knob to 1 o'clock to 2 o'clock with all hard gain turned on, the sound level became what I normally hear. This appears to be similar to Umi's driving difficulty. This is based on XLR connection. (For TH808, when using 6.35, the level is similar at 10-11 o'clock).
-
I'm not sure if the translation was done correctly (using Google Translator)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back