suggestions for an amp for my sony cd1700?
Aug 25, 2001 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
i am looking for a home amp for my sony cd1700. these cans have been discussed a little around these forums, but if you don't know they have a warm analog sound, but sound best from digital sources. i'm guessing solid state is the way to go here.

what my setup will be is a high resolution digital source (like dvda or sacd player), into the amp through digital coax (if there is such an amp).

the requirements aren't written in stone--portable amps and analog out amps are fine too. let me know if you have suggestions for a good amp for these cans, especially you folks who own the cd1700.

thanks!
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2001 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 11
Wait - do headphone amps that take a digital signal even exist? What you're asking for is more of a Max/MSB Link II combo....

Aug 26, 2001 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 11
i don't know if they exist, i'm not too versed on headphone amps. if not, i'll entertain any suggestions for a good combo with the cd1700. with these cans you can really hear the quality (or lack) of your source.

is that the headroom max?

Aug 26, 2001 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 11
I think Coolvij means that the input to all headphones is analog, that the signal sent from a CD transport is digital and transformed to analog by a device like the Link II. The analog signal is then amplified and sent into the headphones. Basicly, you need a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) for the digital output.

Aug 26, 2001 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 11
Voyager summed it up nicely. I was saying - and feel I am correct - that you want TWO seperate things. You said you wanted combo reccomendations. Well, I would say go with the MSB Link II (Upgraded) and take the Headroom Max. Then again, I don't really know much about truly high-end gear, so take my rec. with a grain of salt.

Aug 26, 2001 at 9:54 AM Post #6 of 11
Think Grado RA-1. An SS amp designed to drive warm headphones (just about all grados) and low impedances. Though questions about noise levels with super sensetive phones like cd1700 have been raised, but wierd from a battery powered design. Usually so quiet. Worth considering.

Aug 26, 2001 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 11
yeah, i realized an external dac would have to be in-line with what i was suggesting.

okay, a better setup would be a sacd or dvda with both analog & digital coax outs. the digital outs go to my reciever which has better internal dacs, and the anaolg outs to my headphone amp. it is true, the cd1700 (and especially the ex70 and v6) will magnify any flaws in the source (such as noise). i want an amp to provide the best quality sound but without the annoyance of noise or distortion.

i would just continue using the headphone jack on my cdp, but even at the lowest setting most cds are just too loud on the cd1700.

i am checking out both the max (nearly $2k!!!!) and the ra-1. eeyssjr, are you saying if i used a battery power source on the ra-1 it would be quieter? please bear with me folks, headphone amps are a new animal to me. thanks for the help so far. any other suggestions at perhaps under $500 (if this were audioreview.com they'd have my head for not setting a price first
eek.gif
)?

i see the ra-1 is portable & under $500. looks pretty no frills. i wonder how it sounds?

Aug 26, 2001 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 11
Generally, batteries output virtually perfect DC voltage, with very little noise. So battery powered equipment (not including stuff like headroom portables amps with DC-DC converters), unless poorly designed or using inferior componants, usually are very quite.

I personally do not think it is worth it, compared with the other amps available on the market. The RA-1 is a very simple and low cost amp, but all the electronics are potted away so we don't know what's inside. In comparason, Headroom is very open about their designs, and you can clearly see that they have good designs and high quality parts.

In that price range, you could get a cheaper headroom amp like the little more power, a creek OBH11-se, or a tube amps like x-cans or MG-head. The tube amps may be too noisy/ warm for your headphones though...

Aug 26, 2001 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 11
BTw, are you sure the DACs in your reciever are better than your sources? It seems unlikely that a reciever's DAC would be better than a DAC on a decent SACD or DVD-A player...

and digital out only works for 44.1/16 redbook audio. You can not play back the high-res formats through a digital out.

Aug 26, 2001 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

BTw, are you sure the DACs in your reciever are better than your sources? It seems unlikely that a reciever's DAC would be better than a DAC on a decent SACD or DVD-A player...

thomas, i should clarify: my reciever is a future planned purchase for my ht.

i wasn't aware the digital outs only supported redbook. yes, i am after the highest bitrate available.

i just read a detailed review of the ra-1 and the conclusion was that lack of a ground on the volume pot increases rf distortion. i live where there are a lot of radio & cell phone towers (seattle), so this would be a big problem.

the x-can look promising. another review stated the x-can have a sharper low-treble, and a sweet midrange. the cd1700 excell at midrange bit have a slightly recessed treble. i worry the tubes would introduce too much hiss, though. plus the x-can is a sweet looking piece.

Aug 26, 2001 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 11
i justnoticed a few mentions of "ian's mod" for the cd1700. can anyone fill me in to what this mod is (and keep the suggestions for amps for the cd1700 coming!)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back