The GRADO SR-60 Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #781 of 869
No, you are not wasting your time...they are great headphones.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #782 of 869
Preferring the sr60 over the hd650?...that's just not right

lol just kidding but seriously, I know they're entirely different but how can OP claim to get the same SQ from a little portable MP3 rather than an amp setup with one of the finest dynamics ever?

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #784 of 869

Hello guys, Valiente here.  I'm still enjoying my Grado SR 60. However, lately, I am disturbed by that my right side of headphone suddenly losing sound when the right side of the split cable as shown on the picture. Losing a signal on the right side is not comfortable to ears especially that sometimes I am moving my head and my my body when I am turned on with the music. Now, I am left like a frozen fish when listening so the right side of cable is not moved. Guys, please help. Can I open the Y thing so I can fixed the wires? Kindly assist me if you have this kind of experience, too.Thank you.

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #785 of 869
yes, you can, internally from jack to headphone it is just four wires in the case of the sr60i, so you can carefully open the y split along the small side lines where the two parts are glued together. i often did this modifying my grado cables, use a sharp knife to cut (and maybe some brut force to open).

Aug 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #786 of 869
Ok, I made some modifications to my new (to me; really used though) SR60's and they sound awesome.  I had my kids put them on and try some of their music with them and my 10- and 12- year old's eyes got really big and they both said "Whoa!".  2 new fans, 3 if you include me.  I'm gonna keep playing with these things.  

I can't imagine a huge performance jump to price ratio with these as opposed to the other Grado models.  I paid $28 for these so that is a huge price/performance ratio.  I'm intrigued by the possibility of better sound but don't want to pay a fortune.  At the same time, there is something to be said for excellence and enjoyment, regardless of the price.  

Already so good though....

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #787 of 869

Guys, I cut the cable at the Y -shaped area. There are three colored wires, 2 blue wires, 1 for left and 1 for right, 1 red wire, and 1 white wire. Grado wires are better than my cheap headphones before. I assume cable changing can be done. My Grado SR60 is 5 years old already so I am very confident to cut it and play along with it. I think I must try modding headphone too. I want to try to buy another Grado headphone, the addicting sound can't be ignored. 

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #788 of 869

Guys, I cut the cable at the Y -shaped area. There are three colored wires, 2 blue wires, 1 for left and 1 for right, 1 red wire, and 1 white wire. Grado wires are better than my cheap headphones before. I assume cable changing can be done. My Grado SR60 is 5 years old already so I am very confident to cut it and play along with it. I think I must try modding headphone too. I want to try to buy another Grado headphone, the addicting sound can't be ignored. 

I had the same problem with my SR60i's recently.I had owned them for 3.5 years and used them exclusively on a daily basis for roughly 4-5 hours a day (sometime more) and after years of the cups rotating a full 360 degrees on the gimbles (metal rods) the left side eventually began cutting out intermittently,and for awhile i could get the sound to stay on so long as the cord was set just right,but in time the problem increased and the right side began cutting out as well.

not wanting to have to open the headphones myself or cut the wires i instead opted to write to grado via e mail ( info@gradolabs.com )
and ask how much it would cost just to re-cable them. within an hour of sending my e mail i had a response telling me that $25 would cover the cost of repair and shipping back my headphones.i sent them (from Yuma,Az) in with a check for $25 on Oct 4th, - they arrived at Grado Labs in NY ( Grado Labs ,4614 7th Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11220 ) on the 7th and I received them fully repaired and re-cabled yesterday afternoon on the 15th.

so all in all a very fast turn around (8 days from when they received them to me getting them back, of course i can't say they are always that quick as they initially told me it would be " at least two weeks" so YMMV ) and only costing me $25 instead of $79 for a brand new set which would need to be burned in again.suffice to say I am more than happy with Grado's outstanding service.If You are able to repair them yourself that's great,you can save the $25 and apply it towards modding them.(i know when i have enough I will order the SR225i and  then begin modding my SR60i). but (for now) if like me, You are not yet confident with a soldering iron and taking the cups apart to make sure the wires aren't also maybe disconnected from the driver) then I think you'll be very happy with Grado's service and turn around time

now that I have them back I am going to order these 1/8" plated wheel collars-> http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK188 for my Grado SR60i (and the SR80i's i ordered to hold me over til my SR60i returned) so that the gimbles and cups won't rotate which hopefully this will add prolonged life to the cable/cord.

the only reason I ordered the SR80i instead of another pair of SR60i is that I knew I would be getting my SR60i repaired and wanted to hear how much difference the extra $20 made in sound quality and sure enough,once they were fully burned in the SR80i offer much more clarity in the upper mids and highs (too much on some albums at first,but after 100 hours burn in they sound just perfect,no piercing highs or sibilance to report since then) and offer a little more bass as well.I love both models and would be hard pressed to pick a favorite.

anyway I hope that helps and that you get your Grado's working soon again whether you repair them yourself or send them in.

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #791 of 869
Wow those prices are insane and inane (prices ranging from $139 to $294!!!) .damn it man, haha, wow - I love my SR60i and my SR80i but would never pay above Grado Labs retail price for stock cans.(if they were modded that would be a different story)

First off though anyone can create an Amazon store if they have an account.If I were so inclined I could go to Amazon right this second and launch a store and put my Grado SR60i's up used for $350 (or a billion for that matter). it's just an asking price (much the same as anyone on eBay can ask any price they want).I imagine these sellers (and there are quite a few of them i see) are trying to take advantage of people who want to buy Grado's in country's where they aren't distributed and sold.

I believe (and someone correct me if i am wrong here) that Grado does not allow official distribution outside of the Continental United States and therefor if you live in Canada or Australia or somewhere like that you either have to have a friend stateside or find a seller willing to ship it overseas etc or pay exorbitant prices for Grados as they are rare there and imported,hence the extremely high price of the SR60i on Amazon.I'd bet those sellers are willing to mail Grado's pretty much anywhere on the planet.

My guess would be that Grado don't want their distributors selling in specific markets outside of the CONUS area to lessen the chance of fakes cropping up,and if that's the case then this method seems to work as I have never heard of any fubar Grado products.I'm not saying there's no such thing,but I've never seen it.

this  link may provide more answers (I just now found it) -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/466022/international-grado-owners

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #795 of 869
  This is really powerful and mighty cans, just for 80$.

You're not kidding,the SR60i are the best bang for the buck on the CONUS market period. and to those who say Grado's prestige series lack bass or are too shrill,all they need to do is burn them in for over 100 hours and properly EQ them and not only does it bring out ample amounts of bass,yet bass that is very well detailed and very warm, and the highs really do sparkle once broken in.and I have never heard another headphone (under $350) match the SR60i for gorgeous forward mids granted they don't have much in the way of soundstage,but for $79 new you won't find anything else than even comes close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back