The Qudelix-5K thread
May 11, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #4,756 of 4,761
Anybody here using the Qudelix just as a DAC for desktop listening? Any hints?
Not me. It's a portable device with a battery and Bluetooth so that's what I am using it for.

Your setup doesn't make much sense but I won't kink shame, you do you.

Also, instead of Peace, use Aqua.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #4,758 of 4,761
I don't have a dedicated DAC apart from some USB C dongles. Would that be any better?
If it's your best device then yeah sure. It also depends on what are you using with, it's perfectly fine for IEMs and probably most non-hungry cans but it will not be sufficient for certain headphones.

May 12, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #4,759 of 4,761
Not me. It's a portable device with a battery and Bluetooth so that's what I am using it for.

Your setup doesn't make much sense but I won't kink shame, you do you.

Also, instead of Peace, use Aqua.

I don't have a dedicated DAC apart from some USB C dongles. Would that be any better?
Agree with other posters that it depends on what you are trying to use the Qudelix 5K for.

Qudelix 5K has always been about portability and Bluetooth for me as well. My main desktop DAC/amp is the RME ADI-2 and I am very happy with it (I use some EQ for my Aeon 2 Noire but dont need 10 or 20 bands). It obiously is also in a different price bracket. My 5K is pretty much just used as a Bluetooth receiver for IEMs when on the go.
If it's your best device then yeah sure. It also depends on what are you using with, it's perfectly fine for IEMs and probably most non-hungry cans but it will not be sufficient for certain headphones.
Just want to add that having some extra headroom for harder to drive headphones is important especially if you use EQ. I tend to listen at lower volumes but the Qudelix 5K volume was pretty high (possibly close to max) when I tried using it with my Aeon 2 Noire (tried it out of curiosity). In contrast, with my SE846s, I can still hear music if the 5K is at min volume (phone volume around 90-100%). I absolutely love the 5K as a portable bluetooth receiver. It has allowed me to continue using IEMs on the go and the Qudelix 5K pretty much goes where I go (and has since I got it almost four years ago). As far as dongles go, the 5K pretty much replaced my Dragonfly Cobalt, which is now collecting dust somewhere.

May 12, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #4,760 of 4,761
Anybody here using the Qudelix just as a DAC for desktop listening? Any hints?

I have some nice new headphones incoming and realised that the amp in the Qudelix probably wouldn't cut it. It was juuuust giving me enough power for my 6XX with a balanced cable and the high performance mode turned on, but I like knowing that I have plenty of extra headroom.

So here's my current setup: Qudelix into the RCA line-in on my old Fiio K5. I have performance mode on and the Qudelix volume maxed (if this is the wrong approach please let me know). It's great being able to use the Qudelix PEQ as I really hate the clumsy Windows solutions like Peace.
I would do 2 things that might improve sound:
1) Get a "powered Hub". These only send digital signal from your source and no possibly "dirty" power. The hub gets power from a "wall wart"; and that cleaner power goes to the Qudelix. (Example ONLY: https://www.amazon.com/Aceele-𝟏𝟎𝐆𝐛𝐩𝐬-Extension-Adapter-Chromebook/dp/B0C2YN8F7Z/ref=sr_1_2_sspa)
2) Don't overpower The Fiio Amp. OK to keep the Qudelix in performance mode, but I'd guess that you'll get better sound around 70-80% output than at 100%. (Olay with it some) Most amps like to start clipping when at 100%; And standard input to the fiio (And most amps, is 2V. but a little less, could be cleaner and the Fiio can make up for any needed extra power. (Be sure not to mix balanced output to unbalanced amp, and vice versa, just to be safest for the electronics.)

May 13, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #4,761 of 4,761
Hi there ,ordered my 5k last week. I'm.very excited that I've got a great product. Just one thing I've seen in reviews a couple of times refers to its soundstage which is getting me down a little. That it is not too holographic..?... It say it is spacious but does not achieve this?.. my set will be OTG only, Samsung A13. Sennheiser ie600 iems., using Bluetooth LDAC hopefully without any issues!.. (seems this sound is as good better than wired usb-c if getting the full 990 bt connection)

The quote;; "The 5K can sound very dynamic and impactful, especially from the balanced output, while it presents a well extended and spacious soundstage that is not too holographic or layered but it has an excellent positioning accuracy"

The other thing is this continual assertion that balanced will make the headphones, basically sound better, "better layering".. that's another sticking point that is a little taxing as it will mean I will have to sort out a 2.5 balanced connection in order to achieve the best sound for my money.. I have also been told to relax and I will not notice a difference between 3.5mm vs 2.5mm.

Hi again, and thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back