Tube rolling thread | UltraSonic Studios
Apr 21, 2024 at 2:55 AM Post #3,631 of 3,641
Sunday morning with a view.

Philips4654_PhilipsEBC3.jpg

Forgot to mention that this combo has no glow. Due to the coating both tube types leave nothing outside.

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #3,632 of 3,641
Yesterday was 20th of April 2024. 3 years ago I made this post marking the moment Eternity arrived in my home. A good moment to listen to Anathema - Eternity, the album which inspired me to propose the name of the amplifier to Tomas. Being close to Infinity, his major project at that time, was accepted. Other proposal was Chameleon because we wanted to make an amp to rule them all, manual grid bias on top of an amplifier where you will have no limit. Almost.

Eternity3years.jpg

Happy birthday Eternity!

EternityAnathema.jpg

Apr 22, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #3,634 of 3,641
I've seen something really strage this morning on Ebay:

1713768053302.png

EL3(N)G? Octal base? Do not seem to be rebased because the coating goes also a little bit on top of the base. On the base you can see Philips Miniwatt Made In Australia. I have never seen something like this. Most probably it's an EL33.

PS. Another strange one, what's this? EL12N with side contact socket?

1713768616614.png

Later edit: It seems it exists. EL6E.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #3,635 of 3,641
I think it is a good moment to say a few words about Philips EBC3 (52/KYL) and how it sounds. Until now I avoided to say too much because I wanted to spend more time with it. Now, after a week of listening to it in the select company of the Philips 4654 (yes, no change for a week) I think I am able to say more. Of course do not expect about very drastic or detailed remarks, I feel more and more that everything we do here is very subjective and everyone needs to find its own opinion.

EBC3.jpg

I am used with 4654 in the company of EL3N or EBL1, so EBC3 will be compared to those. Compared to both types, which are close in style in my view (and it is normal since I use the pentode from EBL1 which is electrically equivalent to EL3N) and the only difference might be the house sound, and even that one is close for the red series and sometimes I start to think it does not really matter so much for these types, EBC3 is brighter sounding, more delicate and thin but in the same time very detailed. One thing I like at it is that it is very extended on high frequency area, more than many of the input tubes I use. Because of this it sounds very transparent, letting you hear more from the 4654 and in general the output tube you pair it with. This can be an advantage but also a disadvantage, because sometimes you want to compensate something. EBC3 does not compensate or add too much of its own signature and if the paired tube is not close to what you like, it might make you think it misses something. In my case, listening a lot to the 4654 in the last months, I started to understand also its defects, so many times when I was feeling that EBC3 is not a proper input I was realizing that basically the problem comes from output and 4654 can be sometimes dry or dull sounding depending on the recording. Here the WIRAG EL3N or RT EBL1 were adding something on top and changing a little bit the sound. Of course, 4654 can also shine and when it shines it cannot be beaten. Thinking about EBC3 always takes me to the EL32. Both are somehow thin, delicate but also very nice for vocals and acoustic instruments. If I think that EL32 is an EL2 with different base and then go back to the moment each tube type was released, well, I might imagine that EBC3 can be compared to an ancient EL32 with Philips Eindhoven flavor. Now imagine that and you will get an idea. Do I like it? Very much and I consider it very special, one of the best input tubes I have tried.

Apr 27, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #3,636 of 3,641
I wanted to take a break from the red series and return to the normal tubes. From time to time it's ok to see how you revisit some of your old combos and if indeed they sound as good as you remember they were. This one, Philips EL84 with Fivre 6SL7 was maked in my notes as "energetic and with good bass, wet sound".

PhilipsEL84_Fivre6SL7.jpg

First of all, this is what I call "extreme gain combo" because EL84 on output is around 20 while 6SL7 on input is around 70. A little bit at the limit and my volume knob is around 9AM, so 25% on low gain setting. So yeap, it's energetc, has good bass and it's also wet. I cannot contradict what I have said about it many months ago. A good one, if you want a more lush and musical signature. This is for me a tubey sound, but the problem of the tubey sound is the tubey sound itself. LOL And now I start to understand those solid state guys when they claim the tubey sound adds distortion, lacks some separation or makes everything more forgiving, rounded somehow but also masks detail. It somehow veils the music with a pleasant tone on top of the recording. Like a sepia filter, makes it somehow comfortable but you know in your mind that it's not the correct sound. Anyway, it's good to have this option from time to time.

People love tube amps because in their mind they fix the problem of the solid state. It's true, but they fix it by creating another problem. The real sound is between these, taking advantages from both and fixing both kind of signatures. And here come in place the modern designs of tube amplifiers like UltraSonic and other started to manufacture. Those amplifiers are not sounding tubey but also not digital and flat. Neutral and sharp but not synthetic. Dynamic and also clean and low distorted. A good modern tube amp cannot be touched by classic tube amps and also not by solid state. It is above both of them.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #3,637 of 3,641
But the Fivre 6SL7 on top of Philips WIRAG EL84 was only for a test, to make a reference point. The real combo is with EBC3 because I want to investigate how EBC3 scales and behaves with something with higher gain and which is warmer and more musical. A good try would be EL6 but I want to spare those to these tests at the moment.

PhilipsEL84_PhilipsEBC3.jpg

Surprisingly, the sound became instantly more dry but also not so forced in the midrange. Less veil but the same congested soundstage and separation. A more "correct" sound but the lack of separation and resolution seems to be a problem of the EL84 and not the 6SL7. I have to say I am surprised, I was expecting to scale more the EL84 with EBC3. I was also expecting that EBC3 is less dry and the dryness was a problem of EL50, well it's a problem of both. Volume went now to 11PM, more towards what I am used to have.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 4:17 AM Post #3,638 of 3,641
And since we are here we need to do one more thing. EBC3 underperformed with EL84 and did not fix the problem I had with the reference combo with 6SL7. It was different, I called it more correct but it missed that kind of "wow" factor. But the "wow" factor came now, on something I was afraid to try because I had less expectation.

PhilipsEL84_MullardECH3.jpg

I put the Mullard ECH3 on input on top of the Philips EL84 to check if I use it with more gain on output if I can somehow fix the unexciting sound I got from it when I first tried it on top of EL50. Well, what I am hearing now surpasses both combos I tried earlier and it is the winner of the day. ECH3 now sounds very good on top of Philips EL84. It had not brought more detail but made everything thicker and more focused. This sound has authority and this is something we should not ignore because many combos lack it.
This combo will go to my notes, and I will let it more here. Note that I use the hexode triode strapped from the ECH3, not the triode. I explained my strange way of strapping it some posts earlier. Not the way it should be done but you know, we do what we can. People should buy dedicated adapters for this if they want to try it.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #3,641 of 3,641
I am glad that I found an usage scenario for the Mullard ECH3 where I think it surpasses some of the previous tubes I have tried. While it will not necessarily change my preferences, it might have a strong point to say in my 3rd league of tubes if it will prove to be good with several other outputs. The problem is the gain, which is lower than what I usually prefer on input so it might limit my choices for output. We will see.

MullardECH3.jpg

I like a lot to read and investigate these small low rating tubes which I plan to use in the input. I have a feeling this is a very interesting area with a lot of potential. Because the chavalry of the audiophiles has not be interested in these, they remained unknown and many of them cheap. No problem, I am here to decypher their mysteries. This new chapter I have started is somehow justified after I finished with the big pentodes and spent a lot of time with them. Now, we try to find proper inputs for those, with the same Philips pedigree and why not, maybe some other brands which were still good in the early stages. I look forward to try different types of ECF1, EBF2, ECH3 ST shaped and so on. Of course I will go for the pentodes/hexodes in these because the diodes are no use for me and triodes usually have lower ratings for my amplifier. I would love to try a Telefunken tube from the same era but well, Telefunken EBF2 are harder to find and an idea more expensive.

Pinwise nothing special, all should work fine in the EL2 adapters and I'll decide later which types will be chosen to buy maybe 1-2 spare pairs of dedicated adapters. Of course for the ones which have a G2 I need to put the 6V6->6J5 adapter under the EL2->KT88 but it's no problem. As you can see, Pin 1->4 are the same, Grid 1 on top with anode on pin 8 and G2 where existing on pin 7. Pin 5->6 are usually different but those do not really matter because are usually used by the secondary component in these multi component types. The pentode is more or less using the standard pins.

1714234650316.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back