What's the most versatile amp?
Jul 23, 2001 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dngl

He'd rather show hisbuns than wear fur.
I'm looking for an amp that can do a good job driving the Senn HD580/600 (300 ohm), Grado RS-1 (32 ohm), and the Sony CD3000 (32 ohm).*

I listen to mostly classical (orchestral, choral, guitar), with rock (everything from rh kid-a to pink floyd to beatles to nin) coming a close second, and bluegrass/folk in third.

The amp will be fed by either a Denon DCM-370, NAD C541, or Sony SCD-333ES. Probably the Denon.

*explanation: I only have the Sennheiser HD580 cans now, but plan to eventually acquire the others (in the looong term
wink.gif
) because I feel they each suit different needs.

Jul 23, 2001 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 7
With that trio you will pretty much have the bases covered in terms of different headphone sounds.

...No wait, you forgot neutral phones! Got to get a pair of AKG501 too.
wink.gif

The RA-1 will drive them all with ease. I have the HD-580 and the SR-225 and they sound fantastic with that amp when I auditioned it.

Humm maybe I should get the RA-1 !
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2001 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

...No wait, you forgot neutral phones! Got to get a pair of AKG501 too.

So you find the HD580/600 to be un-neutral?

Jul 23, 2001 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 7
Definently Jan Meier's Corda HA-1.
First of all there are the 2 different outputs: 120 ohm and 0 ohm. This allows you to customize the sound for each headphone you plug in - some may sound better with a smoother warmer sound. Fine, go for the 120 ohm jack. Some may sound better with a more accurate sound. Fine, go for the 0 ohm jack.
Second, the adjustable crossfeed is to die for. It can be all the way off, low, mid, or high. I prefer the low setting - it really removes listening fatigue. I never turn it off.

Jul 23, 2001 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 7
Jon Beilin,

I own the MG Head/Senn 580/Beyer DT250-80, and just recently the Grado 325. My rig consists of the MG/NAD c541/Nordost Ics. For classical and jazz music the MG brings out the best in the 580, great detail without being fatiguing and good tight bass (ie Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man or Coltrane's Love Supreme). I started tube rolling after about 2 months of getting my ears accustomed to the stock tubes with the 580. I currently have a Mullard CV4004 and a pair of Ei EL484s. I have also upgraded to the Clou Red Jaspis cables. The results are deeper bass (not Grado deep, but still deep for Senns), yet retaining the great detail.

I have not spent much time with the MG/325 combo because I recently took delivery of a CHA47 amp (specifically for the 325).
For classical and jazz, I would highly recommend the MG Head.

Regards - reynman

Jul 23, 2001 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

I have not spent much time with the MG/325 combo because I recently took delivery of a CHA47 amp(specifically for the 325).

reynman, can you post your initial impressions regarding this combo?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back