WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Oct 5, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #2,447 of 2,600
Incidentally the WA7d is on Massdrop right now for $649.99. The WA7tp tube power supply costs an additional $600, otherwise you get the standard solid state. There are 6 days left on the drop as of October 5, 2017.

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #2,448 of 2,600
I am tremendously tempted to get the WA7 while it is on Massdrop. Question to you all, I currently am running my Sennheiser HD 600s with an Aune T1 as a DAC and a Shiit Vali 2 as an amp using Amperex NOS 1703 tubes. This set up sounds good to me (vastly better than the Aune’s Internal amp. Can anyone comment if I will notice a meaningful increase in quality if I go with the WA7?

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #2,449 of 2,600
Well, I did it! I ordered the WA7 through Massdrop and got it yesterday. Setup was a snap. Even with the standard tubes the sound quality is great through my Sennheiser HD600 headphones. Of course, I may be be wanting these to sound better, but I’m listening to very familiar tracks that I thought sounded great through my Aune T1 Schiit Vali 2 combination and I do notice more detail and, surprisingly, more separation. I will continue to listen, after all there’s been no time for “break in” if that’s even considered necessary in the WA7. Of course, I love how the thing looks especially with the LEDs illuminating the tubes. A well spent $649.99 if you ask me. I’m going to go through this thread to look for suggestions for a tube upgrade.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #2,450 of 2,600
I just got mine through MassDrop and it is one gorgeous unit. I am using the solid state power supply and it sounds great on both my Fostex Purplehearts and my HD650's, so I am a happy camper. the only thing that I don't like about the HD650's is that they leak too much sound so that my wife can hear what I'm listening to (jazz or dinosaur rock) and becomes shall we say, "not happy." On the other had, the Woo Audio Fireflies definitely have the WAF, especially at night when the tubes glow nicely! :)

Nov 1, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #2,451 of 2,600
I thought that the standard Sovtek tubes sounded great. I think before I start obsessing about tube rolling, I'd spring for the power amp for the WA7d's and see what that would do. The Fireflies are my first foray into tubes, and I am skeptical as to how much different tubes will really affect the sound. The way I see it, any difference is likely to be slight, dependent upon the phones used, and the quality of the material being listened to. For example, I will sometimes take "medicine" and put on a well-recorded Led Zep soundboard tape, or Pink Floyd. Because the source material is good but not great (and sometimes not so great), I doubt that tube rolling would add anything to that sort of source material. Also, my hearing is starting to get challenged in my left ear, with low frequency drop-off and high frequency rolloff as well. So another strike. Finally, there is the reality that in Audiophoolese, "blows me away" means that there is a 10-15% difference; "sounds much improved is probably 10%, and "sounds better" is probably a 5% improvement. I go through this often with cables on my regular music system. Cables definitely can make an audible difference. Is that difference "OMG, I have a whole new stereo system now that I have replaced this cable or that cable?" -- highly unlikely. Can a cable smooth out a rough treble or tighten the bass? absolutely. Is an equipment upgrade worth hundreds or thousands, other than speakers? I guess that depends on your wallet. Case in point. I used an 02+ODAC before the Fireflies. Do I like the Fireflies better? Yes. Does it sound twice as good as the ODAC? No. Do it look twice as good? Absolutely, if not more!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #2,452 of 2,600
I thought that the standard Sovtech tubes sounded great. I think before I start obsessing about tube ruling, I'd spring for the power amp for the WA7d's and see what that would do. The Fireflies are my first foray into tubes, and I am skeptical as to how much different tubes will really affect the sound. The way I see it, any difference is likely to be slight, dependent upon the phones used, and the quality of the material being listened to. For example, I will sometimes take "medicine" and put on a well-recorded Led Zep soundboard tape, or Pink Floyd. Because the source material is good but not great (and sometimes not so great), I doubt that tube rolling would add anything to that sort of source material. Also, my hearing is starting to get challenged in my left ear, with low frequency drop-off and high frequency rolloff as well. So another strike. Finally, there is the reality that in Audiophoolese, "blows me away" means that there is a 10-15% difference; "sounds much improved is probably 10%, and "sounds better" is probably a 5% improvement. I go through this often with cables on my regular music system. Cables definitely can make an audible difference. Is that difference "OMG, I have a whole new stereo system now that I have replaced this cable or that cable?" -- highly unlikely. Can a cable smooth out a rough treble or tighten the bass? absolutely. Is an equipment upgrade worth hundreds or thousands, other than speakers? I guess that depends on your wallet. Case in point. I used an 02+ODAC before the Fireflies. Do I like the Fireflies better? Yes. Does it sound twice as good as the ODAC? No. Do it look twice as good? Absolutely, if not more!

The tube power supply is night and day better then the solid state. If your ranking of sayings to perceptions is the standard then I would have to say something like 'blows me the crap out the d*mn door' :wink:

Nov 1, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #2,453 of 2,600
The tube power supply is night and day better then the solid state. If your ranking of sayings to perceptions is the standard then I would have to say something like 'blows me the crap out the d*mn door' :wink:
Just great. Another freakin' $650 I have to plow into the system. As soon as somebody buys my unused Noble X's that have about 30 min. on them, I'll put that $$ towards the tube power supply . . . they do look extremely cool at night! :)

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #2,454 of 2,600
congrats to new WA7d owners. We recommend to enjoy the amp and "get to know it" before doing any upgrades. No rush.... The sound will improve with every use.

Try this track with WA7 + HD800. No one can say HD800 is light on bass. It just need a good quality amp/DAC. :) This is a CD rip to .WAV file. Nothing fancy....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnr6whab8j5nuxt/01 Hey You.wav?dl=0

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2,455 of 2,600
I thought that the standard Sovtek tubes sounded great. I think before I start obsessing about tube rolling, I'd spring for the power amp for the WA7d's and see what that would do. The Fireflies are my first foray into tubes, and I am skeptical as to how much different tubes will really affect the sound. The way I see it, any difference is likely to be slight, dependent upon the phones used, and the quality of the material being listened to. For example, I will sometimes take "medicine" and put on a well-recorded Led Zep soundboard tape, or Pink Floyd. Because the source material is good but not great (and sometimes not so great), I doubt that tube rolling would add anything to that sort of source material. Also, my hearing is starting to get challenged in my left ear, with low frequency drop-off and high frequency rolloff as well. So another strike. Finally, there is the reality that in Audiophoolese, "blows me away" means that there is a 10-15% difference; "sounds much improved is probably 10%, and "sounds better" is probably a 5% improvement. I go through this often with cables on my regular music system. Cables definitely can make an audible difference. Is that difference "OMG, I have a whole new stereo system now that I have replaced this cable or that cable?" -- highly unlikely. Can a cable smooth out a rough treble or tighten the bass? absolutely. Is an equipment upgrade worth hundreds or thousands, other than speakers? I guess that depends on your wallet. Case in point. I used an 02+ODAC before the Fireflies. Do I like the Fireflies better? Yes. Does it sound twice as good as the ODAC? No. Do it look twice as good? Absolutely, if not more!

I got my WA7 from Massdrop too and have the solid state power supply. Just wasn’t able to drop the additional $600 at this time. I have upgraded the tubes over the Sovtek. Frankly I didn’t run it with the Sovtek long enough to fully evaluate them, but the upgraded Reflector tubes seem excellent. I don’t know about the $140 upgraded tubes however, I’m going to let these tun for a while. I have enough experience with tubes to know tubes can make a tremendous difference. I spent a fair amount on an Amperex 7308 for my Aune T1 DAC/Amp and it Upgraded the sound notably. I tried a series of tubes with it and some like the Voskhod tubes gave a far more “in your face” impact. The 6C45s used with the WA7 aren’t tubes I have experience with before this and I don’t think are as easy to get as the tubes I used with my Aune and my Schiit Vali2. Perhaps this is dealt with in this thread and I intend to read through it when I get a chance. Good luck with yours. As for the power supply, I will read others experience and see what they say to decide if I will get one once I have the $ to do so.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #2,456 of 2,600
I got my WA7 from Massdrop too and have the solid state power supply. Just wasn’t able to drop the additional $600 at this time. I have upgraded the tubes over the Sovtek. Frankly I didn’t run it with the Sovtek long enough to fully evaluate them, but the upgraded Reflector tubes seem excellent. I don’t know about the $140 upgraded tubes however, I’m going to let these tun for a while. I have enough experience with tubes to know tubes can make a tremendous difference. I spent a fair amount on an Amperex 7308 for my Aune T1 DAC/Amp and it Upgraded the sound notably. I tried a series of tubes with it and some like the Voskhod tubes gave a far more “in your face” impact. The 6C45s used with the WA7 aren’t tubes I have experience with before this and I don’t think are as easy to get as the tubes I used with my Aune and my Schiit Vali2. Perhaps this is dealt with in this thread and I intend to read through it when I get a chance. Good luck with yours. As for the power supply, I will read others experience and see what they say to decide if I will get one once I have the $ to do so.
In my experience matching is most important with the 6c45 , a well matched pair of standard tubes will sound better than a random pair of premium tubes . Power supply upgrade is much larger gain than 6c45 rolling , probably 10 to 1

Nov 7, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #2,457 of 2,600
In my experience matching is most important with the 6c45 , a well matched pair of standard tubes will sound better than a random pair of premium tubes . Power supply upgrade is much larger gain than 6c45 rolling , probably 10 to 1
10 to 1, that’s amazing! I think the WA7 with the SS sounds great so far. Clearly I have to start saving!

Nov 8, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #2,459 of 2,600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back