ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
Apr 26, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #2,476 of 2,487
Oh, it has enough power. I'm running it off Low Z and it's at about 70% power with a comfortable volume level jamming to Incubus. It can easily get too loud. Is the low and high just impedance? For some reason, I thought it was Gain. Also, I managed to get a hold of a used Sonnet Morpheus - much excite! The Schiit Modius is doing a pretty great job though.
High Z - 100 Ohm Tap (ZMF Dynamics)
Low Z - 8 Ohm Tap (Planars)

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #2,477 of 2,487
High Z - 100 Ohm Tap (ZMF Dynamics)
Low Z - 8 Ohm Tap (Planars)
Interesting. I get a few extra decibels out of the High Z on the Susvara. Still, everything is working beautifully now. I even have the RME hooked into the chain.

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #2,478 of 2,487
Any thoughts on the best EL84s? I grabbed a set of the Preferred Series EL84 Power Vacuum Tube (Matched) from TheTubeStore.com - no clue if they'll be good.

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #2,479 of 2,487
Any thoughts on the best EL84s? I grabbed a set of the Preferred Series EL84 Power Vacuum Tube (Matched) from TheTubeStore.com - no clue if they'll be good.
These were my top 3 when I had my Pendant. All Welded Plate, Foil Disc Getters

RFT EL84 Welded Plate Foil Disc Getter
Tungsram EL84 (WPFDG) 58’
Valvo Sittard EL84 (WPFDG) 55’

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #2,480 of 2,487
These were my top 3 when I had my Pendant. All Welded Plate, Foil Disc Getters

RFT EL84 Welded Plate Foil Disc Getter
Tungsram EL84 (WPFDG) 58’
Valvo Sittard EL84 (WPFDG) 55’
Thanks for the info!

PXL_20240427_005147668~2.jpg

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #2,481 of 2,487
I haven't heard those!

There are many opinions out there. Some tubes are so incredibly rare and hard to find (welded plate foil getter type stuff) and others are impossibly expensive (like GEC/Osram EL84's), but my tastes right now are resting on Sylvania black plates 6BQ5's. Very affordable, a little noisier than alternatives, but so tasteful and natural.

There's a pair of Tungsram EL84's with welded plates and foil getters on Reverb (and a pair on Ebay too). Those might be the rarest and best sounding EL84's on the market currently.

Apr 27, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #2,482 of 2,487
If those are the Preferred Series 7189, those are some of my favourite tubes in the Pendant. They’re actually Russian tubes from the 80’s that The Tube Store have cleaned up. They’re a great, punchy, clean, detailed tube with some real midrange magic.

I personally tend to like tubes that maintain the punchy, aggressive nature of the Pendant, and for me that’s the above, RFT foil getters, Tungsram foil getters, and Telefunken smooth plates (mine are red-tip medical-selected, which seems to make a difference).

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #2,483 of 2,487
If those are the Preferred Series 7189, those are some of my favourite tubes in the Pendant. They’re actually Russian tubes from the 80’s that The Tube Store have cleaned up. They’re a great, punchy, clean, detailed tube with some real midrange magic.

I personally tend to like tubes that maintain the punchy, aggressive nature of the Pendant, and for me that’s the above, RFT foil getters, Tungsram foil getters, and Telefunken smooth plates (mine are red-tip medical-selected, which seems to make a difference).
Perfect. I have a couple on the way to try out. I managed to get a set of new early Tunsgrams in addition to the tube store ones. Should be set for a long time after this.

Apr 27, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #2,484 of 2,487
Apr 27, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #2,485 of 2,487
Famous last words 😈
Very famous considering the amount of gear I've gone through in the last couple years. I'm cutting back right now though and trying to just focus on the music. The Pendant has this sick gritty crunchy feel to it that I really love. It can drive all my headphones, which is essentially dropping down to 5 anyways, and it's gorgeous and tunable. I'm in the trying to endgame phase. Morpheus on the way. A couple sets of headphones on the way, and then I'm done. No new headphones I want to try. No new amps or anything either. Not quitting, just settling for now 😂.

Apr 27, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #2,486 of 2,487
The Pendant has this sick gritty crunchy feel to it that I really love. It can drive all my headphones, which is essentially dropping down to 5 anyways, and it's gorgeous and tunable.
Agreed. The Pendant SE is such a good amp in so many ways. It's crazy how prices have gone down on it and it seems kind of overlooked in the ads. Not sure if people think it's just ZMF-centric? Definitely not (I never owned a ZMF headphone, though I plan to at some point!). It's a crazy good amp, unbeatable for the money IMO.

Briefly compared it to the Mogwai SE Rev 2 I recently picked up and while the Mogwai is the fuller, richer sounding of the two (no surprise due to bigger transformers), the Pendant was no slouch! Could easily be someone's only tube amp for its versatility, ease of use, power output and rock solid reliability.

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #2,487 of 2,487
Agreed. The Pendant SE is such a good amp in so many ways. It's crazy how prices have gone down on it and it seems kind of overlooked in the ads. Not sure if people think it's just ZMF-centric? Definitely not (I never owned a ZMF headphone, though I plan to at some point!). It's a crazy good amp, unbeatable for the money IMO.

Briefly compared it to the Mogwai SE Rev 2 I recently picked up and while the Mogwai is the fuller, richer sounding of the two (no surprise due to bigger transformers), the Pendant was no slouch! Could easily be someone's only tube amp for its versatility, ease of use, power output and rock solid reliability.
And that's exactly why I grabbed one. I do wish for a 4-pin balanced output and a balanced input, but the 2-3W of power unbalanced is plenty. For the price, I don't think it can be beat without going to the 3 or 4k price bracket or with 300b.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back