ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
May 3, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #12,512 of 12,522
These were my OG leopardwoods that made me fall in love with ZMF
image2.jpeg

The new Desart Ironwoods are stunning. Will have to reach out to ZMF for a future touch up.
1000001725.jpg

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #12,513 of 12,522
Hi Jonathan C, I am not sure I get this picture. Is this a picture of you?
You end up with a thick neck like this guy after a long listening session with the VC , builds up muscles. 😅 The pic itself is from a mugshot I believe, it spread like wildfire back in the day because of his neck.

May 5, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #12,514 of 12,522
Anyone using the ZMF Grand Silver Palladium with their VCs (or AC or CC)? Currently drive them with a Meze Silver Plated PCUHD cable (which sounds pretty good to me) and wanted to check if it’s worth the money as an upgrade.

Also, I should add, I feel like the silver cables are especially keen to pick up the current humming in my HP8, so wondering if an all-copper cable would be a better option for running the VC on the tubes.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #12,515 of 12,522
Today I installed the titan acoustic mesh (solid for closed zmfs) on my vc, and the treble now sounds really smoothed out and very nice. I was always very sensitive to sibilance (the focal elegia and beyerdyanmic headphones hurt my ears after a couple minutes) and even paired with tubes on the cayin ha3a I thought the vc treble can be a little bit hot at times (even with -2db high shelf filter from 6k+). According to my email question to zmf, they said that the acoustic mesh reduces treble response, while not really affecting the mids and the bass, and I have to agree. I have the ori pads in cowhide installed and couple with the acoustic mesh, my vc's have gotten a nice increase in bass and decay due to the Ori's bigger chamber and harder cowhide material, while getting a nice smoothing out of the treble. A nice mod to try out if your preferred sound signature is more in line with mine, though I suspect at this point my VC sounds sort of like the AC with these changes. 20240503_180646.jpg
Hi Grant0317, how have you been enjoying the VC with the HA-3A? Currently, I’m using the GSX mini with either the Topping D90 SE/RME ADI-2. Both pairings work really nicely. The VC is truly an all around headphone, as I listen to jazz, EDM, rock, etc. Every genre shines and vocals are always stunning. What has the HA-3A done to make the VC more stunning?

May 5, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #12,516 of 12,522
Anyone using the ZMF Grand Silver Palladium with their VCs (or AC or CC)? Currently drive them with a Meze Silver Plated PCUHD cable (which sounds pretty good to me) and wanted to check if it’s worth the money as an upgrade.

Also, I should add, I feel like the silver cables are especially keen to pick up the current humming in my HP8, so wondering if an all-copper cable would be a better option for running the VC on the tubes.
I too am interested in Palladium cable…currently running Norne Draug. Would love to see some comparison.

May 5, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #12,517 of 12,522
I too am interested in Palladium cable…currently running Norne Draug. Would love to see some comparison.
For what it’s worth, I own both multiple copper and silver/copper fusion cables from Norne, and found my early-version Drausk (very thick OCC copper) to be a better match with the VC than the fusion cables, obviously for my taste (I love a warmer, more organic timbre and limited treble emphasis and sparkle).

The Drausk doesn’t hamper the airiness of the VC’s soundstage in my view, and its propensity for bass extension and rich midrange is a lovely complement to the VC’s sound.

The qualities of the Norne fusion cables are great with the biocellulose driver headphones from ZMF, in my experience.

May 5, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #12,518 of 12,522
For what it’s worth, I own both multiple copper and silver/copper fusion cables from Norne, and found my early-version Drausk (very thick OCC copper) to be a better match with the VC than the fusion cables, obviously for my taste (I love a warmer, more organic timbre and limited treble emphasis and sparkle).

The Drausk doesn’t hamper the airiness of the VC’s soundstage in my view, and its propensity for bass extension and rich midrange is a lovely complement to the VC’s sound.

The qualities of the Norne fusion cables are great with the biocellulose driver headphones from ZMF, in my experience.
Mine is also old Norne Copper cable from early 2019. Thick and same sound attribute. Warm and relaxed

May 5, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #12,519 of 12,522
Hi Grant0317, how have you been enjoying the VC with the HA-3A? Currently, I’m using the GSX mini with either the Topping D90 SE/RME ADI-2. Both pairings work really nicely. The VC is truly an all around headphone, as I listen to jazz, EDM, rock, etc. Every genre shines and vocals are always stunning. What has the HA-3A done to make the VC more stunning?
Based on my limited time with the gsx mini (I only got to listen to it for about 30 min) it was a very neutral amp with lots of energy. I generally prefer warmer sound signatures like r2r dacs and amps like violectric 220. The ha3a in comparison to the gsx mini gives a softer presentation of the sound that smooths out the treble very nicely while retaining the details. The ha3a also changes in sound signature depending on what tubes you have installed. I personally like a warmer sound with lots of bass, so I opted for 12au7 mullards and 6v6gt brimars. The bass is fat and has presence, mids are warm and lush, and treble is rounded out softly. You can change the sound to how you want. If you wanted a more neutral or brighter sound with more clarity and detail, then you can get the sylvania or telefunken tubes.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #12,520 of 12,522

That's really interesting. I have tried a few different cables on my VC and like you, the OG Norne Drausk provides by far the best synergy for me 👍

May 5, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #12,521 of 12,522
Based on my limited time with the gsx mini (I only got to listen to it for about 30 min) it was a very neutral amp with lots of energy. I generally prefer warmer sound signatures like r2r dacs and amps like violectric 220. The ha3a in comparison to the gsx mini gives a softer presentation of the sound that smooths out the treble very nicely while retaining the details. The ha3a also changes in sound signature depending on what tubes you have installed. I personally like a warmer sound with lots of bass, so I opted for 12au7 mullards and 6v6gt brimars. The bass is fat and has presence, mids are warm and lush, and treble is rounded out softly. You can change the sound to how you want. If you wanted a more neutral or brighter sound with more clarity and detail, then you can get the sylvania or telefunken tubes.
Thank you. I’ve only owned the mini, so I don’t have a lot of comp time. Also, I’ve never listened to a tube amp or an R2R DAC. From what I can gather based on reading reviews, the sound signature is “warm.” I think I understand the “warm’ description, as my Audeze LCD 5 and LCD-XC are brighter than my Empyrean II or my VC respectively. I would imagine that the HA-3A will “warm” the sound of my Audeze LCDs.

May 6, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #12,522 of 12,522
Thank you. I’ve only owned the mini, so I don’t have a lot of comp time. Also, I’ve never listened to a tube amp or an R2R DAC. From what I can gather based on reading reviews, the sound signature is “warm.” I think I understand the “warm’ description, as my Audeze LCD 5 and LCD-XC are brighter than my Empyrean II or my VC respectively. I would imagine that the HA-3A will “warm” the sound of my Audeze LCDs.
Yeah I would say the ha3a pairs really nicely with audeze planars. I have a 2016 lcd2f and the ha3a livens up the sound quite a bit compared to my topping l70. Vocals sounded more natural, and while the lcd2 can sometimes sound dull on the l70, the ha3a gave a layer of warmth and smoothness to the sound compared to the l70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back