Can the Aune X7S be used as a preamplifier for the SMSL 200?
May 17, 2024 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Lovediy

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody. I have 2 desktop amplifiers: Aune X1S and SMSL SP200. I plan to use the X7S as a preamplifier for the SP200 because I want the Class A sound of the X7S and the powerful power of the SP200. Can anyone help me check the information of both machines, can they be combined without causing a fire or explosion? Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 3
Yes and No.

Yes as in you can use X7s as a pre-amp to SP200 without causing any fire/explosion.

No as in you might not be getting any of the 'Class A sound' from X7s. Class A means the amp section is running in Class A mode, but given you are using it as a pre-amp, where the analog music signal should be in Pre ( = before) Amp (= amplification) condition thus should not be processed by the Class A amp section. Using as a pre-amp, X7s should only act as a volume knob and not do any amplification to the signal. You will get the Class A sound if you double amp, but that most likely going to degrade SQ. If you don't double amp but only use X7s as pre-amp, you are kinda wasting your time since SP200 already has a perfectly fine volume knob.

Given what has been said, there is no harm in trying since you already own both. If X7s somehow has a zero gain buffer stage that does go through the Class A amp section, then maybe you will get the Class A sound at the end.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 3
Yes and No.

Yes as in you can use X7s as a pre-amp to SP200 without causing any fire/explosion.

No as in you might not be getting any of the 'Class A sound' from X7s. Class A means the amp section is running in Class A mode, but given you are using it as a pre-amp, where the analog music signal should be in Pre ( = before) Amp (= amplification) condition thus should not be processed by the Class A amp section. Using as a pre-amp, X7s should only act as a volume knob and not do any amplification to the signal. You will get the Class A sound if you double amp, but that most likely going to degrade SQ. If you don't double amp but only use X7s as pre-amp, you are kinda wasting your time since SP200 already has a perfectly fine volume knob.

Given what has been said, there is no harm in trying since you already own both. If X7s somehow has a zero gain buffer stage that does go through the Class A amp section, then maybe you will get the Class A sound at the end.
Thank you. Very specific and detailed explanation. I will test to see if it makes any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back