Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
May 31, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #2,356 of 2,362
I have managed to compare my pair of Mullard E80CCs to another brand-new pair of the same make, which were not burned in yet.
The new pair sounded thinner, brighter, lacking some low end. (Just like when mine arrived a few weeks ago.) The burned in pair sounds fuller, warmer, smoother, more natural with excellent (full but tight and controlled) low end. For those of you new to E80CCs, hang in there. These tubes said to need a longer burn in time than 12AU7s.
Yeah this was my experience, I needed around 75ish hours to fully burn in

May 31, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #2,357 of 2,362
A beautiful and impressive presentation with the Utopia and the HA-3A. Using the 1/4 jack and there is very little background noise as well which is really good.

1000032194.jpg

May 31, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #2,358 of 2,362
I think I've finally found a set of 12AU7's that will give my stash of E80cc/6085's a run for the money
Was able to find and successfully get a matched pair of Mazda 12AU7WA/6189 Silver (chrome) Plate Triple Mica's at a reasonable price. Probably because the ones I got are made by Mazda, but rebranded by Philips, and not the actual Mazda branded tubes that seem to be hovering at prices that are just as eye watering and rival the G73R Telefunken.

As mentioned above by Betula, Npatrix Djentbat and LXMc, yes most tubes including the E80cc need some burn in time to sound good (for anyone getting new 12AU7 or E80cc give them time as they really start to develop/change somewhere between 25-50 hours, and as one mentioned can be between 75-90 hours of run in)
But only a couple hours in (and really right out of the box) these 6189's sound great, and just seem to be getting better as time goes by and I listen to more sets of music.
Nice wide and deep sound stage, great instrument and vocal separation, nice tight bass, some sub bass rumble, and BEAUTIFUL highs. These sound as good as the best E80cc's I have. But it is a commitment and investment, and like the Amperex Bugle Boy 7316's I have (another great tube) they are susceptible to RFI (the DECT 5.0 headset I have for my work which is in the same room gives off some noise to the tube between tracks, turning off the transmitter for the head set or using a shield and the tube cage takes care of it for now)
I think I like the E80cc's a little bit more with the limited time I've got on these tubes, but more once I get some hours on them
Also the E80cc without the cage even with the headset transmitter on are DEAD QUIET (as are some of my more standard 12AU7's like the base Amperex Bugle Boys or RCA blackplates).

Just another reason I really enjoy this amp as it's a Chameleon.
Changes can be made to make it sound different (not always better, always different) to suit moods or styles with the WIDE range of tubes out there.
NOS tubes for all amps (300b, 6SNL7, KT66, EL34, 6V6G, 12AU7, E80cc) that are better than new production tubes keep disappearing at alarming rates, but so far good tubes for the HA-3A remain attainable and all price ranges.

I've got a few more E80cc's I've had a hard time finding coming in and still looking for others I don't already own
And I have a pair of made in the same Red Bank production facility as the Bendix 5992, Bendix Eclipse-Pioneer 12AU7W/6189 Yellow Logo triple mica's in bound for delivery next week.
Have read from others these pair well with ANY power tube but are REALLY GOOD with the 5992. Eager to prove this out (or not) with my 5992's
Once I get this batch of E80cc's, 12AU7 (and hoping a really obscure Visseaux 6V6G ST type tube is really coming, still negotiating as my first try to get these one of the tubes the seller told me died during testing), I might finally be able to just sit back, try some more combos/pairing of tubes, and enjoy the music.

Please don't get me wring as IMO there are still MANY great low cost tube combo's out there for the HA-3A that sound good, but so far I've found some GREAT combo's and it just makes me smile that I choose the right amp (for now, upgradeitis is always something to fight...no I should NOT go listen to the ZMF LordGwyn Aegis, with even more tube rolling combos....) and plan to just spend time with this amp. Well that is until the coming CanJam So CA, and many of the rumored IEM releases....Damn it never ends!)

And as always the above is IMO, and YMMV

Here' my wish to everyone here: hoping you find that sound signature they are chasing!

(My latest 12AU7 tubes, will post later about the Eclipse Pioneer, Amperex Orange Logo 6085's - Holland not US made, still can't find the US made ones - and some Valvo E80cc Yellow Logo's I've been able to find)
1717191504292.png

May 31, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #2,359 of 2,362
I think I've finally found a set of 12AU7's that will give my stash of E80cc/6085's a run for the money
Was able to find and successfully get a matched pair of Mazda 12AU7WA/6189 Silver (chrome) Plate Triple Mica's at a reasonable price. Probably because the ones I got are made by Mazda, but rebranded by Philips, and not the actual Mazda branded tubes that seem to be hovering at prices that are just as eye watering and rival the G73R Telefunken.

As mentioned above by Betula, Npatrix Djentbat and LXMc, yes most tubes including the E80cc need some burn in time to sound good (for anyone getting new 12AU7 or E80cc give them time as they really start to develop/change somewhere between 25-50 hours, and as one mentioned can be between 75-90 hours of run in)
But only a couple hours in (and really right out of the box) these 6189's sound great, and just seem to be getting better as time goes by and I listen to more sets of music.
Nice wide and deep sound stage, great instrument and vocal separation, nice tight bass, some sub bass rumble, and BEAUTIFUL highs. These sound as good as the best E80cc's I have. But it is a commitment and investment, and like the Amperex Bugle Boy 7316's I have (another great tube) they are susceptible to RFI (the DECT 5.0 headset I have for my work which is in the same room gives off some noise to the tube between tracks, turning off the transmitter for the head set or using a shield and the tube cage takes care of it for now)
I think I like the E80cc's a little bit more with the limited time I've got on these tubes, but more once I get some hours on them
Also the E80cc without the cage even with the headset transmitter on are DEAD QUIET (as are some of my more standard 12AU7's like the base Amperex Bugle Boys or RCA blackplates).

Changes can be made to make it sound different (not always better, always different) to suit moods or styles with the WIDE range of tubes out there.
NOS tubes for all amps (300b, 6SNL7, KT66, EL34, 6V6G, 12AU7, E80cc) that are better than new production tubes keep disappearing at alarming rates, but so far good tubes for the HA-3A remain attainable and all price ranges.

I've got a few more E80cc's I've had a hard time finding coming in and still looking for others I don't already own
And I have a pair of made in the same Red Bank production facility as the Bendix 5992, Bendix Eclipse-Pioneer 12AU7W/6189 Yellow Logo triple mica's in bound for delivery next week.
Have read from others these pair well with ANY power tube but are REALLY GOOD with the 5992. Eager to prove this out (or not) with my 5992's
Once I get this batch of E80cc's, 12AU7 (and hoping a really obscure Visseaux 6V6G ST type tube is really coming, still negotiating as my first try to get these one of the tubes the seller told me died during testing), I might finally be able to just sit back, try some more combos/pairing of tubes, and enjoy the music.

Please don't get me wring as IMO there are still MANY great low cost tube combo's out there for the HA-3A that sound good, but so far I've found some GREAT combo's and it just makes me smile that I choose the right amp (for now, upgradeitis is always something to fight...no I should NOT go listen to the ZMF LordGwyn Aegis, with even more tube rolling combos....) and plan to just spend time with this amp. Well that is until the coming CanJam So CA, and many of the rumored IEM releases....Damn it never ends!)

Here' my wish to everyone here: hoping you find that sound signature they are chasing!

(My latest 12AU7 tubes, will post later about the Eclipse Pioneer, Amperex Orange Logo 6085's - Holland not US made, still can't find the US made ones - and some Valvo E80cc Yellow Logo's I've been able to find)
1717191504292.png
Tube rolling is a never-ending rabbit hole. Pain and pleasure hand in hand. :)
That said, there are average tubes, good tubes and some excellent tubes. With excellent tubes the 3A quickly becomes a £2000+ amp ($2500+), but it is actually worth it as the potential of this amp is surprisingly high.
I tried a bunch of good amps, some retail around £3K-4K (Ferrum, HPA4 and so on), but at this point I think for me the only upgrade path would be something like the Envy or other 300B amps, most likely the Aegis. Sadly, for those I would have to double my budget, so for now I just immensely enjoy my 'overtubed', maxed out and great value HA-3A.

May 31, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #2,360 of 2,362
Tube rolling is a never-ending rabbit hole. Pain and pleasure hand in hand. :)
That said, there are average tubes, good tubes and some excellent tubes. With excellent tubes the 3A quickly becomes a £2000+ amp ($2500+), but it is actually worth it as the potential of this amp is surprisingly high.
I tried a bunch of good amps, some retail around £3K-4K (Ferrum, HPA4 and so on), but at this point I think for me the only upgrade path would be something like the Envy or other 300B amps, most likely the Aegis. Sadly, for those I would have to double my budget, so for now I just immensely enjoy my 'overtubed', maxed out and great value HA-3A.
Betula!

Well said and could not AGREE with you MORE!
Bravo!

Jun 1, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #2,361 of 2,362
I just received a pair of used Sylvania 6v6GTY to see how they compared to their Bendix siblings.
1000006582.jpg

I was a bit worried seeing how smokey one of the tubes looked inside but they seem to be working just fine. They were about 1/3 of the price (used, not NOS) but haven't had a chance to compare directly to the Bendix yet, or really do much more than confirm they aren't dead.

I also found an eBay seller with multiple single Mullard e80cc's who was willing to match a couple (I know it's been said this isn't a big deal with the auto-bias but if I can get them that way all the better). Hopefully have them in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #2,362 of 2,362

1717191504292.png
Hi NJoyz, I know nothing about tube amps, except for various narratives I have heard concerning the way in which they elevate sound. I am very much interested in purchasing the HA-3A too. Why is it that everyone is so keen to "roll" the tubes? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back