Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
May 30, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #1,951 of 1,953
It's such a beautiful and powerful amplifier. I recently received one and am happy to join the club!
I am not even rolling any tubes at the moment because the sound with stock is already great.

There are possibilities for improvement, but that is astonishing because of how great it already sounds.

And this...I almost dropped mine, hahaha.

The back was so heavy and the front so light that it tricked me,
and I grabbed the amplifier in the middle when I should grabbed it directly on the back.
It was tense; I saved the situation with my fingers :)

One thing, and one thing only, is that I am not particularly fond of its stepped volume.
The nob itself is amazing, and clicks are lovely, though.
But it would be much better if there were at least double steps or even better triple.
One step is noticeably louder, or if you go down, quieter.

Other than that...Haaaaaapppppyyyy :)

Cheers!
Yeah the sound with stock tubes on HA6A is good enough. Of course, to bring it from good to great, NOS tubes is the way to go.

I have been listening with the NOS Mullard preamp tubes (and with NOS RCA 22de4 and SE el34) as I personally like a warm, smooth and rich sound signature. Recently just purchased a matched pair of Philip Miniwatt and I was like OMG 😮 the sound stage and mid range presentation becomes more spacious, treble becomes slightly more extended without harshness and the bass hits harder while keeping the desirable warm and rich mids.

To me, the HA6A can sound like a TOTL tube amp when driven by holy grail NOS tubes.

May 30, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #1,952 of 1,953
Would someone like to hazard a general characterization of the "sound" of EL34s vs KT88s and even vs 300Bs?
It’s almost the same characterization as TR (el34) vs UL (kt88) on the HA6A.

I personally prefer the more romantic, sweet and warm mids of el34 as compared to the more dynamic, neutral and transparent kt88 sound in general.

May 30, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #1,953 of 1,953
To me, the HA6A can sound like a TOTL tube amp when driven by holy grail NOS tubes.
I thought it sounded very TOTL right now with the stock tubes. :ksc75smile:

Maybe next year, I will do some tube rolling...but I will enjoy the sound as it is.
As a matter of fact, I always appreciate small imperfections.
There is nothing wrong there unless it's a big one.

I use it in TR mode and don't intend to try UL. :)
And I will feel a bit bad because I don't hear any noises in the background. :laughing:

I just put the CD in the transport, enjoying this beautiful, full-bodied sound. :)

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back