Questyle CMA18 Portable DAC with Headphone Amplifier
May 22, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #391 of 397
I received mine on Monday and have been listening to it exclusively since then. I love everything about the sound - I haven’t come across many sources that combine this amount of technical prowess with sheer enjoyability. Everything I listen to just sounds “right.” I’ve been using it with a 180ohm earbud and it has no problems driving the set to its full potential. I find it more enjoyable than my Mojo2 and my DC-Elite, both of which are phenomenal units in their own right. It makes me want to keep listening and to revisit songs, which is the sign of a keeper. If the CMA18 is representative of Questyle’s house sound, then I’m intrigued.

A few downsides, though. On low gain, using balanced out, I’m getting average battery life at best (maybe 6 hours). I’m also a little concerned about how hot this thing gets on high gain (around 47-48°C) and the impact on the battery in the long-term. Volume control could be a little more granular. Like some others have reported, the hold switch on mine rattles, which detracts somewhat from the otherwise stellar build quality. Would also be nice to have separate USB ports.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #392 of 397
Worth upgrading from Gryphon?
In my opinion, yes, if all you’re looking for is sound quality. I used to own the Gryphon and while I thought it was solid, I think the CMA18 easily outperforms it technically, while maintaining what I liked about the Gryphon (its enjoyability and “musicality,” for lack of a better word). The Gryphon offers more functionality, however (line out, line in, choice of filters, X-Bass and X-Space).

May 31, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #393 of 397
I received mine on Monday and have been listening to it exclusively since then. I love everything about the sound - I haven’t come across many sources that combine this amount of technical prowess with sheer enjoyability. Everything I listen to just sounds “right.” I’ve been using it with a 180ohm earbud and it has no problems driving the set to its full potential. I find it more enjoyable than my Mojo2 and my DC-Elite, both of which are phenomenal units in their own right. It makes me want to keep listening and to revisit songs, which is the sign of a keeper. If the CMA18 is representative of Questyle’s house sound, then I’m intrigued.

A few downsides, though. On low gain, using balanced out, I’m getting average battery life at best (maybe 6 hours). I’m also a little concerned about how hot this thing gets on high gain (around 47-48°C) and the impact on the battery in the long-term. Volume control could be a little more granular. Like some others have reported, the hold switch on mine rattles, which detracts somewhat from the otherwise stellar build quality. Would also be nice to have separate USB ports.
How does the CMA18 compare to D16? I've been wanting tp upgrade on the DC Elite and really liked the D16.

Jun 1, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #394 of 397
How does the CMA18 compare to D16? I've been wanting tp upgrade on the DC Elite and really liked the D16.
So you're wanting to upgrade from the DC Elite to either the CMA18 or D16? What is it you are missing from the DC Elite? Only curious since I just had both on hand for testing. I got to see/hear benefits of either.

Jun 1, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #395 of 397
So you're wanting to upgrade from the DC Elite to either the CMA18 or D16? What is it you are missing from the DC Elite? Only curious since I just had both on hand for testing. I got to see/hear benefits of either.
DC Elite’s soundstage is lacking to me. Height wise there’s a night and day difference when comparing D16 vs Elite.

I also prefer warmer IEMs and Elite’s mids are a little too thick for the VEX.

I’m pretty much set on D16 as an upgrade (which I prefer over the Elite) unless CMA18 can bring something to the table.

Jun 1, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #396 of 397
DC Elite’s soundstage is lacking to me. Height wise there’s a night and day difference when comparing D16 vs Elite.

I also prefer warmer IEMs and Elite’s mids are a little too thick for the VEX.

I’m pretty much set on D16 as an upgrade (which I prefer over the Elite) unless CMA18 can bring something to the table.
I’m not great at comparing sound signatures or at describing what I hear, but if I had to keep one, I’d keep the D16.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back