Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Jun 6, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #6,496 of 6,505
all stock tubes in the mk1 and mk2. That mk1 + upgrade tubes is very good. Thank you for your input. I am seriously considering the Mk1

I don't have that many IEM to use in desktop system, so MK1 is indeed better option here. Only that MK2 black chassis is very very inviting.

Just one more question as I saw many are using adapters such as dual CV6 to 6SN7 or dual 6J5 to 6SN7. I also saw Zach using 12au7 to 6sn7. Can I do that in the MK1?
It is every interesting and exciting with so many options to choose.

Thank you so much you help
The quad adapters are an electrical thing. They work in both versions of the amp - its not an amp specific thing. You might need to question on an amp that doesnt autobias, but both amps have autobias circuits. My favourite best price to performance are Mullard CV6 white or red prints as a quad set with Elrog 300b. If you have the cash to start here, you will compare all others to this. If you find a better alternative, you almost certainly wont be buying spares or you would have paid 2-3x more in finding something better and probably wouldnt afford or find a identical spare set! CV6 are plentiful, 6j5/6c5 are massively expensive and quad matched sets are truly expensive and borderline unavailable.

Dont forget the rectifiers, many shout the virtues of Raytheon 22de4 Japanese Grey or black plates, myself included.

If i has to make the choice between v1 and v2, i would take the £1500 towards new Elrogs / WE300B. You would be rocking an incredible amp for just £500 more i.e. CV6 quad, adapters and 22DE4.

If you are cash rich and want the additional refinements Andy mentioned, then only the mk2 will do it. But if you want to jump to best sound for minimal outlay, go v1.

Jun 6, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #6,497 of 6,505
Nobody can evaluate someone’s peace of mind, money is much simpler thing to count :)
Is it? I get stressed by some stupid dollars sitting around doing nothing, and much prefer the peace of mind of turning those useless dollars into piles of electronics :)

Jun 6, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #6,498 of 6,505
Deleted

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #6,499 of 6,505
all stock tubes in the mk1 and mk2. That mk1 + upgrade tubes is very good. Thank you for your input. I am seriously considering the Mk1

I don't have that many IEM to use in desktop system, so MK1 is indeed better option here. Only that MK2 black chassis is very very inviting.

Just one more question as I saw many are using adapters such as dual CV6 to 6SN7 or dual 6J5 to 6SN7. I also saw Zach using 12au7 to 6sn7. Can I do that in the MK1?
It is every interesting and exciting with so many options to choose.

Thank you so much you help
yeah personally i would have went with the mk1 just to save a little bit of cash (that could used for tube rolling), but i really like the black chassis that only the mk2 has.

both mk1 & 2 can be used with adapters, but i haven't tinkered too much outside of 6SN7. I wouldn't really roll 12AU7s in here; those who have tried don't speak well of it. CV6 (quad) and 6J5 (quad) has had better reviews. There are also many others such as 6F8G and 6XXX variants that might yield great results as well.

Jun 6, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #6,500 of 6,505
Is it? I get stressed by some stupid dollars sitting around doing nothing, and much prefer the peace of mind of turning those useless dollars into piles of electronics :)
Many people told me that money burns a hole in my pocket:)

Jun 6, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #6,501 of 6,505
yeah personally i would have went with the mk1 just to save a little bit of cash (that could used for tube rolling), but i really like the black chassis that only the mk2 has.

both mk1 & 2 can be used with adapters, but i haven't tinkered too much outside of 6SN7. I wouldn't really roll 12AU7s in here; those who have tried don't speak well of it. CV6 (quad) and 6J5 (quad) has had better reviews. There are also many others such as 6F8G and 6XXX variants that might yield great results as well.
The 12 series need 12v adaptations ... i.e. additional transformers? Sounds messy and problematic to me. There there are SO many 6SN7's / 6jJ5's / 6c5's / cv6 and all their derrivatives i would leave 12 series as a last thing. I think you will find happiness or bankruptcy long before then !! :p

Jun 6, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #6,502 of 6,505
Personally I would take the MKII, if only for the peace of mind you mentioned. It's open box, so a ex demo unit, so not much use, the MKI has been used a unknown amount but by being a MKI we can safely assume it's been used extensively, 1 year warranty as well is like buying it new, that's nothing to sniff at I would say.

Jun 6, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #6,503 of 6,505

Mines black :)

Jun 6, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #6,504 of 6,505
Oh and the MKII besides being black (which looks awesome btw) has a vastly superior volume knob, the most annoying thing about my HA-6A to me is the lower number of steps, like a breath of fresh air when using my HA-300 MKII's volume control in comparison.

Jun 6, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #6,505 of 6,505
The 12 series need 12v adaptations ... i.e. additional transformers? Sounds messy and problematic to me. There there are SO many 6SN7's / 6jJ5's / 6c5's / cv6 and all their derrivatives i would leave 12 series as a last thing. I think you will find happiness or bankruptcy long before then !! :p
Yes. Imo don't bother with 12au7, go straight into quads. Many people love Mullard CV6 White prints, I also like KenRad 7193 and Pinnacle 6J5, all quads are insanely good.
yes it didn't even cross my mind that I could use the 12au7 before until I watched Zach's Ha300 review. It is also because I came from the Ha3a which uses 12au7, so I have a couple of 12au7 lying around. I am more interested in the CV6. They look.... intimidating and retro with all the wires.

The quad adapters are an electrical thing. They work in both versions of the amp - its not an amp specific thing. You might need to question on an amp that doesnt autobias, but both amps have autobias circuits. My favourite best price to performance are Mullard CV6 white or red prints as a quad set with Elrog 300b. If you have the cash to start here, you will compare all others to this. If you find a better alternative, you almost certainly wont be buying spares or you would have paid 2-3x more in finding something better and probably wouldnt afford or find a identical spare set! CV6 are plentiful, 6j5/6c5 are massively expensive and quad matched sets are truly expensive and borderline unavailable.

Dont forget the rectifiers, many shout the virtues of Raytheon 22de4 Japanese Grey or black plates, myself included.

If i has to make the choice between v1 and v2, i would take the £1500 towards new Elrogs / WE300B. You would be rocking an incredible amp for just £500 more i.e. CV6 quad, adapters and 22DE4.

If you are cash rich and want the additional refinements Andy mentioned, then only the mk2 will do it. But if you want to jump to best sound for minimal outlay, go v1.
Thank you so much for your help Jon. I'm seriously torn by the options haha.

I have a mk 1. I don’t think anyone’s ever had a mk1 side-by-side with a mk2, but the company line seems to be that the mk2 plays better with more sensitive headphones, with very little change in sound. I have no noise problems with Caldera whatsoever, even that’s insensitive enough to block tube noise. And some tubes are dead quiet even with sensitive headphones. So value wise, definitely the mk1.

However, what is the cost of your peace of mind? Are you going to wonder incessantly about the mk2? Does that extra year of warranty give you confidence? Does the murky past of the mk1 give you pause? I think that’s the question you need to answer, money or peace of mind?

Personally I would take the MKII, if only for the peace of mind you mentioned. It's open box, so a ex demo unit, so not much use, the MKI has been used a unknown amount but by being a MKI we can safely assume it's been used extensively, 1 year warranty as well is like buying it new, that's nothing to sniff at I would say.

Yes it is very hard to know what will give one the peace of mind. My mind is being torn apart now. And the black chassis hahaha

I am enjoying this thread and the community more than actually making decision which amp to buy tbh. Thank you so much for all getting together to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back