Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
May 17, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #767 of 780
What does this switch in the menu mean, "programmed power supply" What exactly does it program? Switching doesn't seem to change anything

1000030479.jpg

May 17, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #768 of 780
What does this switch in the menu mean, "programmed power supply" What exactly does it program? Switching doesn't seem to change anything
Is that on the latest firmware (1.2)? I don't have such button, or the "pen" in the bottom row.

May 17, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #770 of 780
Just a personal observation, but from a reviewer perspective, rather than a consumer, I find it interesting how, for example, the L&P DAPs thread has hardly any complaints about their $3.5k-$4.5k audio players with a more primitive user interface (in comparison to N3U) or their lack of wi-fi/streaming. And the same with LPGT and lack of wi-fi/streaming. Or SP3000T with the same dual JAN6418 tubes having a similar battery performance of 10+ hrs with a solid opamp and 6.5-7hrs with tubes (while I'm getting about 7.5hrs with N3U under the same playback conditions, Tubes).

So, could it be that customers of the upper-end flagship daps are less critical than customers or potential buyers of the entry-level dap models like N3U? Or maybe a different level of expectations? I would think the opposite, because, tbh, I'm very impressed by the sound of N3U in Classic Tube
Agreed on everything except modern has my ❤️😜

May 18, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #771 of 780
Just a personal observation, but from a reviewer perspective, rather than a consumer, I find it interesting how, for example, the L&P DAPs thread has hardly any complaints about their $3.5k-$4.5k audio players with a more primitive user interface (in comparison to N3U) or their lack of wi-fi/streaming. And the same with LPGT and lack of wi-fi/streaming. Or SP3000T with the same dual JAN6418 tubes having a similar battery performance of 10+ hrs with a solid opamp and 6.5-7hrs with tubes (while I'm getting about 7.5hrs with N3U under the same playback conditions, Tubes).

So, could it be that customers of the upper-end flagship daps are less critical than customers or potential buyers of the entry-level dap models like N3U? Or maybe a different level of expectations? I would think the opposite, because, tbh, I'm very impressed by the sound of N3U in Classic Tube mode.
A reviewer's perspective is a far step from a consumer's perspective. Name one consumer that has had an OEM send them expensive electronics for a try and buy? As long as the consumer has skin ($$$) in the game, their opinion matters. The cost of the device is irrelevant because most consumers can't afford to make a poor choice

May 18, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #772 of 780
A reviewer's perspective is a far step from a consumer's perspective. Name one consumer that has had an OEM send them expensive electronics for a try and buy? As long as the consumer has skin ($$$) in the game, their opinion matters. The cost of the device is irrelevant because most consumers can't afford to make a poor choice
… which leads to the consumer also being biased towards the product he bought: validate the choice.

May 18, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #773 of 780
… which leads to the consumer also being biased towards the product he bought: validate the choice.
I tend to believe a person who paid for a device has more interest in what the product is vs what was promised and will be more critical and less likely to accept the littlest of issues. Now I'm done with the hijack if you want to further discuss feel free to PM

May 18, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #774 of 780
Thanks. I'll try to say something this weekend😄but I'm new in this regard with no experience
Just say it how you feel in your own time.
I have considered both but only have place for a budget DAP personally as my current DAP the Onkyo DP-X1 is way past it best (battery degradation and slow interface).

The N3 Ultra appealled to me because of the tubes and price however the implementation and restrictions are not for me. I think , correction, I have instead gone down the Hiby R4 route.

I need for some funds to become available before I can buy another DAP so there is plenty of time to watch and wait to see how the N3 Ultra and other new DAP's mature with updates and more user feedback before the actual purchase.

Yes I am also investigating some desktop tube amps to possibly pair with a cheaper DAP and a safer path to tube sound nirvana.

I too cannot at this time justify spending the sun's required for the DAPs I would like to own ie A&K SP3000T etc.

May 18, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #775 of 780
Just say it how you feel in your own time.
I have considered both but only have place for a budget DAP personally as my current DAP the Onkyo DP-X1 is way past it best (battery degradation and slow interface).

The N3 Ultra appealled to me because of the tubes and price however the implementation and restrictions are not for me. I think , correction, I have instead gone down the Hiby R4 route.

I too cannot at this time justify spending the sun's required for the DAPs I would like to own ie A&K SP3000T etc.
What implementation bothers you ?

May 18, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #776 of 780

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I was trying to make a different point in my post. It's my observation from a reviewer's perspective about the comments I read from consumers who spend 6-7x more on their DAPs in comparison to N3U and they don't mind a more primitive UI, lack of wi-fi/streaming, or poor battery life. That is why I was curious that maybe consumers who buy more expensive DAPs have different expectations and are less critical of the features?! Yes, their opinion matters, and I was trying to understand why some consumers of higher-end DAPs are less critical than those of budget entry-level DAPs like N3U. That's all :)

May 18, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #777 of 780
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I was trying to make a different point in my post. It's my observation from a reviewer's perspective about the comments I read from consumers who spend 6-7x more on their DAPs in comparison to N3U and they don't mind a more primitive UI, lack of wi-fi/streaming, or poor battery life. That is why I was curious that maybe consumers who buy more expensive DAPs have different expectations and are less critical of the features?! Yes, their opinion matters, and I was trying to understand why some consumers of higher-end DAPs are less critical than those of budget entry-level DAPs like N3U. That's all :)
That's because the target customers of higher-end DAP's aren't strapped for cash and can buy as many high-end DAP's as they want. Until they find one that might fulfill all of their needs. Whereas most budget oriented customers are placing all their eggs in one basket, ultimately expecting a more complete or all-rounder performance from their DAP.

That's the reason why budget customers are more critical and why high-end customers are usually less bothered.

May 18, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #778 of 780
That's because the target customers of higher-end DAP's aren't strapped for cash and can buy as many high-end DAP's as they want. Until they find one that might fulfill all of their needs. Whereas most budget oriented customers are placing all their eggs in one basket, ultimately expecting a more complete or all-rounder performance from their DAP.

That's the reason why budget customers are more critical and why high-end customers are usually less bothered.

That's understandable, though by definition budget entry-level devices will have only a subset of features in comparison to high-end. But anyway, just an observation, the same as I find how some of my readers who buy only high-end DAPs dismiss N3U because of its price without even giving it a chance...

May 18, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #779 of 780

Or maybe they are the old guard who still carry around their entire library in 1tb/1.5tb microsd cards and so don't really need any of the other features.

I rarely connect my dap to WiFi (EM noise precaution, senseless purist mindset), but I am growing more accustomed to using streaming services to find new music, saving them temporarily, and then downloading the lossless/high res versions later.

Battery life is a matter of what you're used to. People who have used daps since a decade ago are accustomed to 5 hour battery life and can live with it. More is definitely better, nobody will complain about that.

Though in the end these "nice to haves" all fall short of the most important aspect, sound quality. If a players sounds like ass, I won't even look at it's other features.

You get a player and fall in love with its sound, not features done infinitely better on your smartphone.

May 20, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #780 of 780

So, could it be that customers of the upper-end flagship daps are less critical than customers or potential buyers of the entry-level dap models like N3U? Or maybe a different level of expectations? I would think the opposite, because, tbh, I'm very impressed by the sound of N3U in Classic Tube mode.
I think to some degree those that buy the really expensive DAP's are more about the bling than the technical capabilities. There was this tiny Portable audio dealer I bought some stuff from (has since moved into a larger location). He sold A&K DAP's and he told me he would sell 7 or 8 a week like clockwork. He said it was mostly Bay Street (financial district) guys who bought the A&K DAP's so money was not an issue. They would walk in and simply ask for the most expensive DAP he sold no questions asked.

It was what their peers bought so they bought them to with no real thought about sound quality. It was more about the status symbol of owning something crazy expensive like their coworkers. You can't complain about something you don't understand or haven't taken the time to compare to alternative DAP's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back