DAC and steamer separate vs one device
May 10, 2024 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

passballtotucker

New Head-Fier
I was wondering what the opinions on using a separate dac and steamer vs a device with both built in. The convenience of having both in one device is tempting to me but it wouldn’t be worth it if there are better options separate.

May 11, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 7
I was wondering what the opinions on using a separate dac and steamer vs a device with both built in. The convenience of having both in one device is tempting to me but it wouldn’t be worth it if there are better options separate.
It's like anything else. Separates give you more flexibility. Multi-function components give you convenience. Either approach can sound great. Take your pick.

May 13, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 7
Separate and if possible use an optical connection from streamer to dac: ST or LC fiber if possible (only select brands have these connections) or toslink if budget constrained.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #4 of 7
I would go for separates.
Steamers go kitchen, DACs go listening space.
That pun aside:
Separates.
.... UNLESS of course you found the streamer that also sonically floats your boat.
If you plan to go the chip DAC route anyway, and you're using iOS, I would strongly consider Auralic Altair.

If you want to experiment with alternative ideas regarding DACs, eg R2R, go separates.
Do not go cheap on the streamer, though - it would not benefit your listening experience.

May 13, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #5 of 7
Separate and if possible use an optical connection from streamer to dac: ST or LC fiber if possible (only select brands have these connections) or toslink if budget constrained.
Optical over i2s?

May 13, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 7
depends on music server and dac. usb is a viable option as well.

all in ones are generally cheeper

May 13, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Optical over i2s?
I2s is a protocols for board level communication between asic modules and not really designed for routing signal at that distance. I2S is also a kind of protocol and not a universal standard. Not sure why you ever want to use i2S unless recommended by the dac manufacturer to connect to streamer of the same brand.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back