Evolving the UM Reference: A New Chapter for the Mason Series—Mason Nuit Étoilée & Soleil Tombé
May 8, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #196 of 202
I’d like to express my gratitude to Uncle Wilson from Jaben Singapore for providing me with the opportunity to demo the UM Mason Soleil Tombe.

My listening sessions were mainly with DAP - Shanling m9 (m9 & kobo 475), L&P p6pti, and LP6AE; desktop - Dethonray M1, Shanling m30 pro and Onix Miracle. I own UM Mason Fusang CIEM (OG), Indigo CIEM, and MM CIEM. My impressions focused on comparing the new Mason - ST with OG Mason, as each UM product line is different.

In general, I noticed that ST follows the OG, which is known for its details and separation. It sounds slightly wider and less warm. It’s very smooth and cohesive. It exhibited a more natural and analog character.

ST pairs well with my selection of DAPs and desktops. However, to maximize its potential, it’s noticeable when I listened with M1 and Miracle, both under “IEM mode” and M30 pro (Tube / high gain). The extra quality power from the desktop adds very well-controlled note weights.

Although the ST I demoed is a universal IEM, I paired it with Eletech Baroque eartips, and the seal is as good as my other UM CIEMs.

To conclude, UM did a good job updating its Mason product line with new BCD tech. Paired with a good choice of source, it’s a relaxing and inviting listening experience with a natural and linear bass transition that doesn’t compromise on depth.

IMG_6764.jpegIMG_6765.jpeg
IMG_6760.jpeg
Hello
I’m curious about your M30. How do you like it compared to your DAP’s and desktops driving headphones?
Thanks!

May 8, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #197 of 202
Hello
I’m curious about your M30. How do you like it compared to your DAP’s and desktops driving headphones?
Thanks!
Hey! Whilst we wait for @frogbeanz to see your post, what would you like to know about the Shanling M30? I have one too. The current iteration is the M30 Pro which comes with the upgraded player unit and the power amp module.

The M30 power amp module puts out 3.8W per channel @32ohm. So, it drives most HPs. It drives even the Susvara nicely.

Jaben SG has a nice product page for it: https://www.jaben.com/products/shanling-m30

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #198 of 202
Hi @swedishpat and thanks @Kiats for chiming in. In addition, it has options for Tube, non Tube and by pass. I like how they implemented the nu tubes.

Also it’s a modular system and its future proof. Shanling has a great track record updating the modules and firmwares.

Give it a try, you may like it 😊

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #199 of 202
Hey! Whilst we wait for @frogbeanz to see your post, what would you like to know about the Shanling M30? I have one too. The current iteration is the M30 Pro which comes with the upgraded player unit and the power amp module.

The M30 power amp module puts out 3.8W per channel @32ohm. So, it drives most HPs. It drives even the Susvara nicely.

Jaben SG has a nice product page for it: https://www.jaben.com/products/shanling-m30

Hi @swedishpat and thanks @Kiats for chiming in. In addition, it has options for Tube, non Tube and by pass. I like how they implemented the nu tubes.

Also it’s a modular system and its future proof. Shanling has a great track record updating the modules and firmwares.

Give it a try, you may like it 😊
Thanks for your reply guys!
I was interested in this transportable all in one unit a few years ago. But I didn’t get it because some mention of streaming issues. Did they take care of that issue with the new streaming module?
I think the new version is a bit overpriced for me but I wonder if buying a used older model with the new more powerful amp for a couple grand and adding the streaming module later would work like the new version? Or did they update the new version more besides just the streaming module?
The power is very impressive! How would you compare it to similar priced 5K desktop amps? Almost as good? Even with susvara?
Thanks!!

May 10, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #200 of 202
Thanks for your reply guys!
I was interested in this transportable all in one unit a few years ago. But I didn’t get it because some mention of streaming issues. Did they take care of that issue with the new streaming module?
I think the new version is a bit overpriced for me but I wonder if buying a used older model with the new more powerful amp for a couple grand and adding the streaming module later would work like the new version? Or did they update the new version more besides just the streaming module?
The power is very impressive! How would you compare it to similar priced 5K desktop amps? Almost as good? Even with susvara?
Thanks!!
I came from OG m30 and slowly upgraded to the current m30 pro. Exactly how you described above.

I use Apple Music for streaming with no issues so far, maybe @Kiats can share his streaming experience 😊

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #201 of 202
I came from OG m30 and slowly upgraded to the current m30 pro. Exactly how you described above.

I use Apple Music for streaming with no issues so far, maybe @Kiats can share his streaming experience 😊
No issues for me either. I use QQ Music, Apple Music and Tidal. @swedishpat I would to get thrown off by teething issues. Other brands have those as well, though folks tend to be more forgiving.

I too started life with the original M30 and replaced the power amp module and the player module as they came out.

Well… $5K amps… hmm… It compares favourably with the Phatlab RASA and Wells Audio Milo. Also because it is more flexible. Not to mention, it is not just an amp. :)

May 10, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #202 of 202

No issues for me either. I use QQ Music, Apple Music and Tidal. @swedishpat I would to get thrown off by teething issues. Other brands have those as well, though folks tend to be more forgiving.

I too started life with the original M30 and replaced the power amp module and the player module as they came out.

Well… $5K amps… hmm… It compares favourably with the Phatlab RASA and Wells Audio Milo. Also because it is more flexible. Not to mention, it is not just an amp. :)
Sounds great!! I will have to look into getting one sooner than later! Thanks for letting me know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back