Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #1,247 of 1,257
Yes or a black piece of metal with a yellow LED

It is more than that.....at least for me

I called .....THE MACHINE 😜

NOMAX

PS.I'm really looking forward to getting something that really makes sense again 👍
❗❗️I can really only advise everyone to listen to it❗❗

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #1,248 of 1,257
PS.I'm really looking forward to getting something that really makes sense again 👍

I am also looking forward to getting my Wandla GSE Edition soon. I pulled the trigger only on your recommendation. If it is not as good as you told me, I might well rip your head off! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cheers,
Bernie

Jun 5, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #1,249 of 1,257
It is more than that.....at least for me

I called .....THE MACHINE 😜

NOMAX

Lol you are preaching to the choir! I have been a Ferrum fan since the OOR, and I believe I was the first person to mention their new DAC in the works before it was even known as the WANDLA.

Can't wait to be able to upgrade my unit to GSE, use the spacial audio with my LCD-R, and get rid of MQA as an added bonus :wink:

Jun 5, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #1,250 of 1,257
I am also looking forward to getting my Wandla GSE Edition soon. I pulled the trigger only on your recommendation. If it is not as good as you told me, I might well rip your head off! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cheers,
Bernie

🙈🙈🙈🙈

NOMAX

PS.Have confidence in the skills and expertise of this young guy from Uk 👍
(Thanks also to Ferrum Audio for getting involved in something like this with him.....this would not have been possible without them and their hardware)

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #1,252 of 1,257
If the current Wandla can be upgraded via firmware to match the golden edition, why is the golden edition so much more expensive? Or have I missed something....
Because significant R&D time and cost was put into the development of both the firmware and hardware changes. If there was no price change it wouldn't have been possible to do in the first place.

The decision was made to merge the new hardware changes over to new units of the regular Wandla as this means new production is one hardware variant, thereby preventing additional costs associated with producing two physically different versions and allowing the price increase to be lower.

Having the GSE outright replacing existing wandla would be bad and leave people no choice if they wanted a Wandla without the additional features. But having no upgrade option would leave existing wandla owners pretty disappointed and needing to sell and purchase a whole new unit.

This way the GSE and new changes are available for those that will enjoy them and can be purchased for existing units (with the exception of the hardware alterations/voltage divider circuit) , and if you don't want them the existing wandla is still available at the same price

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #1,253 of 1,257
Because significant R&D time and cost was put into the development of both the firmware and hardware changes. If there was no price change it wouldn't have been possible to do in the first place.

The decision was made to merge the new hardware changes over to new units of the regular Wandla as this means new production is one hardware variant, thereby preventing additional costs associated with producing two physically different versions and allowing the price increase to be lower.

Having the GSE outright replacing existing wandla would be bad and leave people no choice if they wanted a Wandla without the additional features. But having no upgrade option would leave existing wandla owners pretty disappointed and needing to sell and purchase a whole new unit.

This way the GSE and new changes are available for those that will enjoy them and can be purchased for existing units (with the exception of the hardware alterations/voltage divider circuit) , and if you don't want them the existing wandla is still available at the same price
Any new info about the availability of ordering the GSE firmware update? Waiting not so patiently.... :) Thx

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #1,254 of 1,257
@GoldenSound

I'm sure most people will think to themselves when they have the upgrade
Oh man🙈....all these years we are discussing which model sounds more open...has a bigger stage etc etc🤣
Yes, that will all be things of the past....that's why the few hundred euros are actually a real bargain👍

NOMAX

PS.Maybe you can convince a DAP manufacturer to at least integrate the same spatial setting...in any case, I would buy it immediately😎
(Assuming something like this can be compatible with a DAP in terms of hardware?)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2024 at 12:48 AM Post #1,255 of 1,257
Thank you to Ferrum and Cameron for the Wandla GoldenSound Edition! :) I am loving it! :two_hearts:

It sounds so natural and alive! I will even use it for recording my own music bringing to the analog world through Wandla GSE and back to the digital world through the RME.

It is also fun to use! I like the tube mode and can't wait to hear other future tube implementations as those would be interesting for listening and recording as well as I use a lot of virtual instruments and they need a bit of sweetness in character.

About the spatial enhancement (mid/side technique) implementation is nice and again fun to use! Is it ok to like the speaker mode when listening on headphones? I actually like that it is even more subtle than the headphones mode, but time will tell as I only have had an hour with the unit.

Now I want to have a different amplifier! lol. I have been using the HPA4 and the HDV 820 for the Susvara and HD800S, but I want to find a better match for them, specially for the Susvara. I have in mind the Prelude, the Bliss (not a fan of the size and heat), the Oor (but they might release a Gen2 soon as they have been doing with all of their products), and the HM1 that would finally devastate whatever is left in my wallet :sweat_smile:

HM1 is the clear upgrade from the HPA4. You'll keep the sheer neutrality of the HPA4 and add all the refinements to it and you get the HM1. Other ones you listed lean toward more warmth and bass focused signature than the HPA4 which to me would not align with what you like with the HPA4

Jun 6, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #1,256 of 1,257
HM1 is the clear upgrade from the HPA4. You'll keep the sheer neutrality of the HPA4 and add all the refinements to it and you get the HM1. Other ones you listed lean toward more warmth and bass focused signature than the HPA4 which to me would not align with what you like with the HPA4
Thank you for sharing your thoughts! That’s good to know and I will try getting the HM1 and report back :) I am guessing it will pair well with the Wandla GSE 🤞🏼

Jun 6, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #1,257 of 1,257
@GoldenSound

I'm sure most people will think to themselves when they have the upgrade
Oh man🙈....all these years we are discussing which model sounds more open...has a bigger stage etc etc🤣
Yes, that will all be things of the past....that's why the few hundred euros are actually a real bargain👍

NOMAX

PS.Maybe you can convince a DAP manufacturer to at least integrate the same spatial setting...in any case, I would buy it immediately😎
(Assuming something like this can be compatible with a DAP in terms of hardware?)
Any new info about the availability of ordering the GSE firmware update? Waiting not so patiently.... :) Thx
No new info atm, Ferrum has said it should be ready late this month, or possibly very early next month, so shouldn't be much longer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back