HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
May 21, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #1,411 of 1,420
May 21, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #1,413 of 1,420
I am now in agreement that the Gustard A26 (and VMV D2R and probably all Delta-Sigma DACs) sounds better when converting my PCM files to at least DSD 256. Are there any types of DACs that sound their best when getting an HQ Player upsampled PCM signal instead? R2R DACs?

May 21, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #1,414 of 1,420
I am now in agreement that the Gustard A26 (and VMV D2R and probably all Delta-Sigma DACs) sounds better when converting my PCM files to at least DSD 256. Are there any types of DACs that sound their best when getting an HQ Player upsampled PCM signal instead? R2R DACs?
Chord DACs for example as they will convert DSD back to PCM (adding all sorts of ultrasonic noise etc in the process, defeating the point of HQP upsampling to DSD). Chord DACs are recommended highest PCM input instead

Denafrips isn’t as cut and dry as they are a black box as to what is going on, but some people (myself included) prefer highest rate PCM on Denafrips DACs. My own experience is that DSD sounded a bit “soft” on the Pontus II (loss of dynamic range) which led me to think it was doing some sort of PCM conversion and wasn’t a true DSD DAC like Holo Audio, T + A etc. I sold my Pontus and picked up a May KTE instead for this reason.

Again, speculation on the Denafrips above as we don’t really know what’s going on inside but the Chord example is cut and dry

May 21, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #1,415 of 1,420
One can get most benefit out of HQPlayer with direct DSD capable DAC. They all can be considered to be delta sigma DACs, since they accept delta sigma modulated signal (what DSD is) on input and convert it directly to analog signal. A list of such devices is maintained here: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...tal-filtering/?do=findComment&comment=1280696
Another thread devoted to direct DSD capable DACs appears on Roon forum: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/best-native-dsd-dacs-for-use-with-hqplayer/132298/1943

So all direct DSD DACs are of delta sigma type, but most of delta sigma DACs are not capable of direct DSD path.

May 21, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #1,416 of 1,420
One can get most benefit out of HQPlayer with direct DSD capable DAC. They all can be considered to be delta sigma DACs, since they accept delta sigma modulated signal (what DSD is) on input and convert it directly to analog signal. A list of such devices is maintained here: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...tal-filtering/?do=findComment&comment=1280696
Another thread devoted to direct DSD capable DACs appears on Roon forum: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/best-native-dsd-dacs-for-use-with-hqplayer/132298/1943

So all direct DSD DACs are of delta sigma type, but most of delta sigma DACs are not capable of direct DSD path.
I am actually pretty happy with the sonics of the Gustard A26 via HQ Player conversion and direct DSD at 256 now that I have the LAN connection working. Even on the mid level HQP settings since my gaming laptop is running out of cooling to play well on the more demanding Sinc-m filters with 512+ modulators. I am considering building a super gaming computer to future proof my options for 1024 DSD direct DACs which will be no doubt more and more prolific in the coming years.

But then again I'm feeling guilty about blowing that much energy and so much heat into my room just so I can listen to a song. Which keeps blairing for some reason even after the que has ended until I hit stop. Like for hours sometimes if I had successfully fallen asleep.

I will measure the consumption of my laptop tonight with my KillAWatt meter but I have to imagine it is a few hundred Watts when the fans are screaming. And would be even more crazy with the cranked HQ Player settings in a big desktop.

The processor demand for HQP to send out PCM files that are upsampled to 768 is much less. if I can get similar sonics from a true PCM native DAC. But I am not buying anything as expensive as a Chord.

May 21, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #1,417 of 1,420
I am actually pretty happy with the sonics of the Gustard A26 via HQ Player conversion and direct DSD at 256 now that I have the LAN connection working. Even on the mid level HQP settings since my gaming laptop is running out of cooling to play well on the more demanding Sinc-m filters with 512+ modulators. I am considering building a super gaming computer to future proof my options for 1024 DSD direct DACs which will be no doubt more and more prolific in the coming years.

But then again I'm feeling guilty about blowing that much energy and so much heat into my room just so I can listen to a song. Which keeps blairing for some reason even after the que has ended until I hit stop. Like for hours sometimes if I had successfully fallen asleep.

I will measure the consumption of my laptop tonight with my KillAWatt meter but I have to imagine it is a few hundred Watts when the fans are screaming. And would be even more crazy with the cranked HQ Player settings in a big desktop.

The processor demand for HQP to send out PCM files that are upsampled to 768 is much less. if I can get similar sonics from a true PCM native DAC. But I am not buying anything as expensive as a Chord.
I've undervolted both my gpu and cpu and while they do draw a combined 120 watt at DSD512 with light 512+fs the whole pc is whisper quiet (gpu temperature 32 degrees cpu temperature 55 degrees). If you don't chase super 512+fs @1024 and you undervolt and watercool you can have an extremely energy efficient HQPlayer computer that's very silent too!

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #1,418 of 1,420
I've undervolted both my gpu and cpu and while they do draw a combined 120 watt at DSD512 with light 512+fs the whole pc is whisper quiet (gpu temperature 32 degrees cpu temperature 55 degrees). If you don't chase super 512+fs @1024 and you undervolt and watercool you can have an extremely quiet energy efficiency HQPlayer computer that's very silent too!
There really isn’t much to chase after dsd1024 anyway, unless you are looking for added noise

May 21, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #1,419 of 1,420
Here you can see details about 44.1k to DSD512 conversion on my notebook HP ZBook G8: CPU i7-11850H max. 47W and GPU A2000 max. 24W. Of course it depends on particular hardware. No DSD1024 but I also don't have such a goal. My current DAC has a sweetspot at DSD256.

1716321083387.png

May 21, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #1,420 of 1,420
I made various power consumption measurements right at the plug of my laptop with a KillAWatt meter.

My laptop just coasting along with a browser open is cruising at 17 Watts, 1% CPU, 37% RAM. Briefly spiking to 37W when launching a new tab.

HQ Player streaming Qobuz via HQP Client to DSD256/ ASDM7EC -super/ p-s-g xla is 38W additional, 8% CPU, 46% RAM.

Drag and dropped Full WAV files in HQ Player sound slightly better and use 48W. additional.

Changing to DSD512/ ASDM7EC super 512+ increases the load to 67W and 14% CPU.

sinc-mga won't load for any DSD and locks up the program every time. It doesn't even try to load. The CPU goes straight to 1%. But it will play for PCM768 and sounds well rounded and natural whereas poly-sinc-gauss xla is more spacious but slightly more artificial.

PCM768/ p-s-g-xla/ TPDF sounds very close to DSD with the Gustard A26. More reverb, less robust and natural. PCM 48 to 768 is much less demanding using only 6W additional over the idle power.

I then plugged the entire power strip into the KillAWatt. The A26 is only coasting at 3W although it does get warm. The VMV P2 Headphone amp idles and plays at 12W

The whole strip is passing 110W when playing DSD256 including the router (I'm connecting to the A26 via LAN) and several vampires. So I feel better now knowing that playing PCM converted to DSD is only really costing 50-60 W additional for the conversion despite the fans in my laptop blaring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back