Ibasso Discrete portable DAC with R2R D16
May 20, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #481 of 489
I have a lot of curiosities about both the D16 and the PB5. Those little user guide cards are almost not useful. Does anyone know of the existence of some more technical manuals?

May 20, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #482 of 489
I wonder if anybody knows to what sampling rate of DSD D16 converts/oversamples input digital signals into.

Cayin’s 1 bit DAC products have available options being DSD 64/128/256 for RU7 and DSD 64/128/256/512 for N7, but there seems to be no related specification explicitly for D16.

From the product page, it shows that 6.144MHz (approximately DSD128 rate and little more) is fed into the PWM modulator and 49MHz is fed into the DAC from that PWM modulator (approximately DSD1024 rate and little more)

I guessed that this means D16 runs either DSD128, or DSD1024. If it is DSD128, it would be a bit disappointing, being inferior to RU7. On the other hand, maybe the 6.144MHz is not 1 bit and it runs DSD1024, which is remarkable.

I wonder if anyone knows well about this. I am also willing to ask iBasso directly if no one knows.
For me, I don't care. It is the sound that matters and the D16 is excellent sounding, great depth, width, separation and dynamics. And easy to use. I was able to compare it to the Hugo 2 and easily prefer the D16. Natural true sound is what I enjoy.

May 20, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #483 of 489
For me, I don't care. It is the sound that matters and the D16 is excellent sounding, great depth, width, separation and dynamics. And easy to use. I was able to compare it to the Hugo 2 and easily prefer the D16. Natural true sound is what I enjoy.
I agree with you in that the sound is what that matters. With D16 also having excellent measurement specifications, it doesn’t really matter that much.

Just curious about it, with one concern of having heard of high noise floor of DSD64, though I have seen only highly positive opinions about D16’s noise floor.

By the way, you gave us the comparison between D16 and Hugo 2 that I was searching for quite a while! Thanks!

May 20, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #484 of 489
I agree with you in that the sound is what that matters. With D16 also having excellent measurement specifications, it doesn’t really matter that much.

Just curious about it, with one concern of having heard of high noise floor of DSD64, though I have seen only highly positive opinions about D16’s noise floor.

By the way, you gave us the comparison between D16 and Hugo 2 that I was searching for quite a while! Thanks!
High noise floor of DSD64 on the D16? I have never had that and I use sensitive headphones like the Focal Utopia and the iBasso SR3.

To me, the D16 has a more natural and real life sound compared to the Hugo 2. The Hugo is a very good dac and very enjoyable but there is a difference between the two.

May 20, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #485 of 489
High noise floor of DSD64 on the D16? I have never had that and I use sensitive headphones like the Focal Utopia and the iBasso SR3.

To me, the D16 has a more natural and real life sound compared to the Hugo 2. The Hugo is a very good dac and very enjoyable but there is a difference between the two.
Oh, I didn’t mean on D16. I think what I heard was about the noise floor when playing DSD64 NOS, that DSD64’s sampling rate is not quite sufficient and requires oversampling and such for high quality sound.

May 20, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #486 of 489
Oh, I didn’t mean on D16. I think what I heard was about the noise floor when playing DSD64 NOS, that DSD64’s sampling rate is not quite sufficient and requires oversampling and such for high quality sound.

I think you may be confused. The higher the DSD rate is the higher the noises, but they are pushed up further the upper spectrum by aliasing and hence antialiasing have to be more aggressive, the same as filtering. Some people like to enjoy higher DSD rate, which I was into. But it isn’t always the case. Most of it comes from the algorithms behind it and not all of them are good. The best way for the digital music as I have witnessed is actually NOS but being done correctly. NOS is actually DSD32 as it has no Oversampling at 32 bits. SACD is the rate of DSD64

May 20, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #487 of 489
I think you may be confused. The higher the DSD rate is the higher the noises, but they are pushed up further the upper spectrum by aliasing and hence antialiasing have to be more aggressive, the same as filtering. Some people like to enjoy higher DSD rate, which I was into. But it isn’t always the case. Most of it comes from the algorithms behind it and not all of them are good. The best way for the digital music as I have witnessed is actually NOS but being done correctly. NOS is actually DSD32 as it has no Oversampling at 32 bits. SACD is the rate of DSD64
Thanks for your information. I thought I knew what I was talking about, but now I don’t think so. I really gotta study the operations of DACs properly…

Apologies for the confusing comments of mine previously.

May 22, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #488 of 489
Which format do you listen to most?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back