LAiV Harmony R2R DAC Impression and Reviews
Jun 5, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #286 of 293
Sure. Since you asked, my source is the USB out from a Hiby RS8 to a Holo Red (Used as a DDC to convert to I2S) which with then go to the Laiv (when I get it) which then will feed my Burson Solo Voyager via XLRs with the end of the chain being a set of Focal Utopia 2022 headphones. At the moment, I have the Cyan 2, but I'm returning that and will use the DAC from the RS8 until the Laiv Arrives. The Cyan 2 sounded fine, but I wasn't awestruck. I think the Laiv may be a bit more future proof, and may be better for some older tracks that may benefit from OS.
Nice amp and cans! Using a Dap as a Dac is interesting. The R8ii has been on my radar.

Jun 5, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #287 of 293
Sure. Since you asked, my source is the USB out from a Hiby RS8 to a Holo Red (Used as a DDC to convert to I2S) which with then go to the Laiv (when I get it) which then will feed my Burson Solo Voyager via XLRs with the end of the chain being a set of Focal Utopia 2022 headphones. At the moment, I have the Cyan 2, but I'm returning that and will use the DAC from the RS8 until the Laiv Arrives. The Cyan 2 sounded fine, but I wasn't awestruck. I think the Laiv may be a bit more future proof, and may be better for some older tracks that may benefit from OS.
If you want to be awestruck, try adding an extra 2 zeros to your budget.

Jun 5, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #288 of 293
Nice amp and cans! Using a Dap as a Dac is interesting. The R8ii has been on my radar.
The RS8 has a surprisingly nice R2R Dac. I'd driven my Focal MG Clear Pros with the DAP and it sounds great. So while I wait on the Laiv Harmony, I'm using the line out 4.4 to dual XLR via a Hiby Dock to the Burson. Not bad for a week or two. My Laiv is supposedly shipping this week per an email from them.

Jun 5, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #289 of 293
Got it in to my bedroom system and will compare over the next week to the Denafrips.

EDIT:

So far, right out of the box, I can say that as of May 2024 **FOR a $2700 price DAC ($2675 after coupon)** compared to what else is out there now:

10/10 Design
10/10 Packaging & Unboxing Experience
10/10 Interface
TBD on the sound but I CAN say that I would choose this over the Rockna Wavelight, which I have also owned. I'm still comparing to the Terminator II-12th, but this thing pretty close and has a pleasing sound.

After I placed my order, I got a personal email from Weng Fai Hoh thanking me. Love the personal touch.

IMG_5152.jpg
Any more sound impressions you can share? I also have the DSHA-3FN and Utopia OGs, currently using the Matrix X-SABRE PRO (MQA) dac, and have been considering switching it out for the LAIV Harmony dac.

Jun 6, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #290 of 293
That's like adding zeros to a forum. That doesn't improve anything.

Jun 6, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #291 of 293
Might as well spend 50k on 2 channel and stop coping with TOTL headphones 🤣

What are you on about man? Suggesting someone go from 3k dacs to 300k systems 🤣

Jun 6, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #292 of 293
I also have the DSHA-3FN and Utopia OGs, currently using the Matrix X-SABRE PRO (MQA) dac, and have been considering switching it out for the LAIV Harmony dac.
What is it about your current chain you hope the LAIV DAC will improve? I have one on order and have been looking at a DSHA-3FN for my OG Utopia when available from Nitsch later this summer. Any insight you have on strengths/weaknesses of this chain would be much appreciated.

Jun 6, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #293 of 293
Or not.

My current €500 network setup beats my previous €5000 network setup. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back