LTA VELO - Headphone Amp / Preamp
Jun 2, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #91 of 101
Looking forward to getting a Velo sometime later this year. @JacobLTA , in this circuit which affects the overall sound signature the most - the preamp tubes or the power tubes? I've been building quite a collection of rare top-tier NOS tubes to try with this amp.
They both contribute and finding the right synergy between preamp and output is important. If you already have strong, well matched and balanced output tubes, 12AT7 rolling will have a larger impact.

Has anyone used matched Brimar/Footscray CV455s as input tubes?

(sorry if an answer was posted here & I mssed it somehow)
Excellent low noise and low microphonics tube! I like these best with KenRad 12SN7GT.

Jun 5, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #92 of 101
Sitting here listening and gushing over my pair of GEC A2900 triple-micas in my Quicksilver HPA just imagining how sweet these tubes are going to sound in a Velo...:thinking:

For those that already have one, which power supply option did you choose? Has anyone tried it with both the stock and upgraded linear PS?

Jun 5, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #93 of 101
Sitting here listening and gushing over my pair of GEC A2900 triple-micas in my Quicksilver HPA just imagining how sweet these tubes are going to sound in a Velo...:thinking:

For those that already have one, which power supply option did you choose? Has anyone tried it with both the stock and upgraded linear PS?
I have both the LPS and the stock power supply. The LPS is a little fuller sounding with a wonderful bass line. The stock power supply does a great job as well. You need to put around 150 hours on the amp. With either PS it is dead quiet and very transparent. You want to make sure you have a good source. I also like the footprint of the amp a lot.

Jun 5, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #94 of 101
Welp, I did a thing. I did some wandering the streets of Hong Kong (great hifi town) on business and stumbled into a shop that set me back a bit. But now I have a great selection of NOS to try rolling.
1000020174.jpg
1000020181.jpg
1000020184.jpg
1000020187.jpg

Jun 5, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #95 of 101
I picked up 6 matched pairs.
GE 12AT7 JAN
Brimar 12AT7
Kenrad 6SN7 GTB
Sylvania 12SN7
RCA 12SN7 coin base
Fivre (?) 12SN7 (1950s italian)

I'd post pictures of the haul, but I have them all bubble wrapped for transport home. Still on the road for another week and a half, so I'm not gonna be able to try them for a bit.

Still pretty happy with the haul, though.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #96 of 101

I just saw these tubes listed F.S. at $1,769.30 on fleabay. Is that for real?

(never heard of them)

Jun 5, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #98 of 101
I just saw these tubes listed F.S. at $1,769.30 on fleabay. Is that for real?

(never heard of them)

Lol, I was just about to say that is a really high price until I saw the price of the A2900 in the case in @Mumbles06 Hong Kong picture. Is that $3500 USD???! I knew these were rare but dayum! Here's what Brent Jesse has to say. I have both types.

6060:

This rare tube is the Brimar answer to the Genalex A2900. It was also made by Mullard which are even harder to find. It has a similar construction to the A2900. These are sometimes called the "Brimar Yellow-T" tube due to the large capital letter "T" in a yellow triangle on the glass. The best of these were made by Brimar at their Footscray, UK factory in the 1950s. Mullards were mostly made at the Mitchum UK factory and a few at Whyteleafe, both made mainly military tubes. Virtually all of these are phono grade, they are very quiet. There are later Brimar versions with the "T" logo on a white triangle, but these are not as desirable, sonically, and when found should not be nearly as expensive. The Brimar tubes made for the military lacked the yellow T label but are otherwise identical. Watch for the uber rare triple mica version! The Yellow-T tubes are remarkable for their air, realism, and seductive warmth, and unfortunately are getting as rare as the A2900 tubes! The even rarer Mullard tubes can be found either with 6060 labels or sometimes relabeled ECC81.

A2900:

The even scarcer A2900 is in the "Gold Monarch" series by Genalex. Genalex was the premium line of tubes produced by the Marconi-Osram Company in England. It has wide, flat black plates and white lettering on the glass, the words "Gold Monarch" in white script, with the red Genalex decal logo around the top of the tube. There is also a British domestic version with the grey and blue GEC decal on the glass, that was not exported. These are true audiophile tubes, with tightly controlled noise specs, designed with audio perfection in mind. Any scarcer and these would be museum pieces!

Jun 5, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #99 of 101
Nah, those prices are HKD, so divide by 7.8 for USD.

Jun 5, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #100 of 101
The Velo is sounding great with some Philips box plate and Japanese grey plate 12SN7 (Old RadioShack NOS). Great timbre and vast soundstage with the Sony R-10. Very natural dynamics excellent detail.

Jun 5, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #101 of 101
Nah, those prices are HKD, so divide by 7.8 for USD.

Thanks. Still, $450 a tube for A2900...wow. Can't say I disagree with the premium price though. They really are amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back