Luxury & Precision E7: Impressions and Discussions
May 17, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #106 of 116
E7.jpg

I recently purchased a Luxury & Precision E7 which arrived yesterday. I've been a very happy P6 Pro owner for awhile now.

It's still burning in, but what I'm hearing so far is sublime. Not as analogue as the P6 Pro and notes aren't quite as rounded or full, but very close for a delta sigma player. Technical performance is higher without a doubt, the P6 Pro can sound vague by comparison. The E7 is incredibly resolving with superb background blackness.

Physically the difference in size & weight is minimal too - the E7 is vastly smaller & more pleasant to handle than many of the Android bricks out there.

I've very impressed thus far, but have compiled a small wishlist of potential improvements. L&P have demonstrated their commitment to improving their players through firmware so perhaps there's a chance they might take a look at some of these areas in future updates.

E7 Improvement Wishlist

- Reduce lag / delay in USB Music mode while watching videos, ideally down to P6 Pro levels
- Improved interface scrolling speed / responsiveness
- Back arrow icon disappears periodically, need to click Search icon to return it
- Double Tap to Wake enabled
- Ability to create playlists with English names (currently defaults to Asian characters)
- Ability to sort music by Genre
- Option to sort tracks based on filename (currently defaults to alphabetical order of Track Name metadata, ignores Track Number)
- Option to allow playback to keep playing when IEM is unplugged (very convenient for A/B testing)
Sort tracks based on track number is a must.

May 17, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #107 of 116
I have to admit I am not hearing anything changing sonically while tweaking the voltage slider: I tried with both DD and BA/hybrid IEMs but the result is the same to my ears. No change. Maybe I don’t know what to look for, but nothing obvious is happening in terms of presentation.

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #108 of 116
I have to admit I am not hearing much changing sonically while tweaking the voltage slider: I tried with both DD and BA/hybrid IEMs but the result is the same to my ears. No change. Maybe I don’t know what to look for, but nothing obvious is happening in terms of presentation.
I haven't been able to detect a difference either.

May 17, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #109 of 116
I haven't been able to detect a difference either.
Zilch! Figure I just leave it on auto and maybe it's in a future FW update.

May 17, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #110 of 116
I have to admit I am not hearing anything changing sonically while tweaking the voltage slider: I tried with both DD and BA/hybrid IEMs but the result is the same to my ears. No change. Maybe I don’t know what to look for, but nothing obvious is happening in terms of presentation.

This is a tough one! At first, I didn't hear any changes. Then I thought I was hearing a little bit of clarity in dynamics (a little like changing the tuning to high dynamic mode). Then I started to look for tracks that would clearly show changes and I am lost again, haha. I tried my Utopia in addition to my IEMs but that didn't help. If my understanding is correct, it should give us headroom with waveforms like below but you have to hit those peak voltages which might be too loud anyways. Maybe it will show better with hard to drive cans? Anyone?

1715989694615.png

May 19, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #111 of 116
Can anyone care to share as to how E7 compares to p6 pro ti99? I am particularly interested in finding out which device is more bassy or thicker sounding
if there is any difference. I have Rhapsodio SV3 + FC cable which generally sounds awesome on ti99 (with classical, jazz, vocal - can't get anything better)
but tends to get overpowering on bass occasionally depending on songs, which I want to tame with more neutral player. How's the EQ performing on E7?
Ti99 only has pre-defined EQ setting so not much help there...

May 19, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #112 of 116
Can anyone care to share as to how E7 compares to p6 pro ti99? I am particularly interested in finding out which device is more bassy or thicker sounding
if there is any difference. I have Rhapsodio SV3 + FC cable which generally sounds awesome on ti99 (with classical, jazz, vocal - can't get anything better)
but tends to get overpowering on bass occasionally depending on songs, which I want to tame with more neutral player. How's the EQ performing on E7?
Ti99 only has pre-defined EQ setting so not much help there...
I have the P6 Pro (not the Ti99) and the E7 and they're quite different. The P6 Pro sounds more analogue with smoother & slower attack, and is also more bass dominant. The E7 has a similar sound signature but is slightly leaner, brighter & faster but more technical with a deeper, taller soundstage, blacker background and is more resolving.

Going back to the E7 settings, I'm struggling to hear a difference between HT & LD. Whereas with HD I hear a clear, obvious change. Has anyone else noticed this?

May 19, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #113 of 116
I have the P6 Pro (not the Ti99) and the E7 and they're quite different. The P6 Pro sounds more analogue with smoother & slower attack, and is also more bass dominant. The E7 has a similar sound signature but is slightly leaner, brighter & faster but more technical with a deeper, taller soundstage, blacker background and is more resolving.

Going back to the E7 settings, I'm struggling to hear a difference between HT & LD. Whereas with HD I hear a clear, obvious change. Has anyone else noticed this?
This sounds quite promising I might ask for demo unit from MT if available. Thanks for sharing..

May 19, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #114 of 116

LD is a bit flatter since it is meant to be closest to a monitoring neutral sound. HT sounds a bit more tuned for ACG, like the P6PTi is: a bit more mid centric and dynamic. Subtle, I agree, next to HD. :)

May 19, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #115 of 116
This sounds quite promising I might ask for demo unit from MT if available. Thanks for sharing..
Agree with @Bosk: because the E7 is based on a DS DAC, rather than R2R, it is more technical and dynamic. But without the digital glare you normally get with DS DACs. It is well tuned to be smooth and still organic. :)

May 19, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #116 of 116
Another couple of changes I'd love to see in upcoming firmwares:
  • Album art icons & metadata track title displayed inside playlists (currently filename is displayed)
  • Option to disable the onscreen volume control whenever the physical volume knob is turned
  • Playback of current track to restart from then beginning when physical Back button is pressed (currently returns to previous track instead)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back