Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jun 6, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #7,171 of 7,178
Probably shouldn’t do that…

Why not? Either way I don’t understand why I only get sound from the Midgard if the Echo Mk2 is on. Shouldn’t both amps get a signal even if only one amp is on?

Jun 6, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #7,173 of 7,178
Nah, G2 is going to be delta sigma, at least to start. I don't think even Schiit can capture the magic of the Gumby using DS.

Now, it may be a great sounding DAC, don't get me wrong. It's just that the Yggy OG and the Gumby OG have a sound untainted by the mass proliferation of APx500s.

What do you think tube amps would sound like if they also had to pass the gate of an APx500? That's right, dry, analytical, non-romantic....
Yeah Gungnir Multi-bit and Yggy OG- both use the OG chips. Two very special DACs.

Jun 6, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #7,174 of 7,178
So I bought a pair of XLR splitter cables which allows me to connect two amps from the Gungnir Multibit. So one is the Midgard and the other is the Feliks Echo Mk2 (using XLR to RCA adapters). But an interesting thing has happened. I only get sound from the Midgard if my Echo Mk2 is turned on. Once I turn it off then no sound from the Midgard. Any reason why that is? If both amps are on then I get sound from both. Just switch the headphone from one amp to the other.
I have run into a similar, yet different scenario, which I think is related:
- My Gumby’s balanced output is connected to a Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE preamp
- The two single-ended outputs are connected to a Ray Samuels Audio The Apache SS headphone amp and a Woo Audio WA2 tube headphone amp
- If the Wyred 4 Sound preamp is off, the sounds from the other two amps is completely limited (weak, distorted)

My best guess is that when the Wyred 4 Sound preamp is off, it affects the ground or drains voltage from the Gumby, impacting the sound of the other two amps. When the W4S preamp is on (muted or not), all is good.

I mention this because it sounds like it could be a similar electrical scenario with regards to what is affecting your Gumby.

Jun 6, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #7,175 of 7,178
Nah, G2 is going to be delta sigma, at least to start. I don't think even Schiit can capture the magic of the Gumby using DS.

I get what you’re saying but I don’t ever underestimate Jason, Mike and Co. about what amazeballz things they can accomplish. Myself, coming from hating about 97% of ESS implementations, I’ve come to respect what Schiit is able to do with it and on their lower end stuff no less. Mike is a goddamn wizard with dac design in my book.

Jun 6, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #7,176 of 7,178
Jun 6, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #7,177 of 7,178
Possible problems with grounding and whatnot. I think tube amps are fine with it but your SS amp could go poof.

Okay well it was just something I wanted to try out. Cheaper than getting some kind of switcher box.

Jun 6, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #7,178 of 7,178
Of course Mike is a wizard but he doesnt have the AD chips to work with anymore. Curious to see what they use.
I guess best case scenario is a More is Better Jr.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back