SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 18, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #15,691 of 15,696
I wonder if most people in this thread would agree with this percentage about the difference between the a306 and the AM2. I know that sometimes, in this hobby, the quest is just to get that final 10%. But, I really want to know the sound of the Sony house. I have some DAPs and I've had others... but I've never had a Sony... Having a collection of IEMs... like listening to music and not having a Sony DAP? This cannot happen under my own laws. 😂

The A306 is a great little DAP, and it is perfect for portable use.
The evaluation of % difference is kind of meaningless, as it really depends on the use case. i.e. If using it while exercising, running (treadmill or outdoors), it should be more than enough. But if listening in a quiet environment, where you want to forget the outside world, then maybe not. While the % may be small, the difference may be that it cannot get you into that immersive state.

Same situation when buying a laptop. The ultra thin/light ultrabook is better for mobile use. But it does not have the power or the features of a heavy gaming laptop. Different tools for different usage requirements. Each has their place.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 7:49 AM Post #15,692 of 15,696
The A306 is a great little DAP, and it is perfect for portable use.
The evaluation of % difference is kind of meaningless, as it really depends on the use case. i.e. If using it while exercising, running (treadmill or outdoors), it should be more than enough. But if listening in a quiet environment, where you want to forget the outside world, then maybe not. While the % may be small, the difference may be that it cannot get you into that immersive state.

Same situation when buying a laptop. The ultra thin/light ultrabook is better for mobile use. But it does not have the power or the features of a heavy gaming laptop. Different tools for different usage requirements. Each has their place.

Of course I just made up the 90%... The point was that you can get a very good Sony experience without spending thousands of $$$... :wink:

May 18, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #15,693 of 15,696
I would however recommend finding an uncapped one if you can to be honest as it just covers you for more headphones if you need it in the future.
as i have had the uncapped and capped version, this is also my view. Low gain for iem = absolutely enough.

however, don't forget that the capped version has even less power in low gain in comparison to uncapped low gain.

May 18, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #15,694 of 15,696
Of course I just made up the 90%... The point was that you can get a very good Sony experience without spending thousands of $$$... :wink:
Yes, I absolutely agree.
Like the 3 bears fairy tale, there is a Large, Medium, and Small. They are all good, in their own way, and each is a perfect fit for people at that particular stage of their musical journey.
So it depends....
For some, maybe the small used to fit perfectly, but their tastes are changing, and it's starting to feel restrictive, or they are just curious to try the next size?
For others, they are happy, and see no need to change.
And this is the hard part, to be happy with what you have, and have no desire, or curiosity, to change. For many years, I upgraded equipment infrequently, and bought and used a player for many years.
Then I was afflicted with an upgrade virus, and the changes became more and more frequent. The cost also kept going up, and up.
Only recently, after a particularly virulent episode, have I managed to regain some control. For the moment, the sickness is under control.
Or at least, exceptions are only made occasionally, for good/interesting/inexpensive experiments.

May 18, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #15,696 of 15,696
as i have had the uncapped and capped version, this is also my view. Low gain for iem = absolutely enough.

however, don't forget that the capped version has even less power in low gain in comparison to uncapped low gain.
I do believe that the Sony S-Master, being a clean, and efficient Direct Digital solution, would sound good from a capped player.
But obviously, the capped power limitation does impose restrictions, so I would not want to get a capped player.
My bias about having lots of power comes from home stereo experiences, where I was shocked by how good a pair of small Spendor LS3/5A speakers sounded, driven by 2 x 200Watt bridged mono amplifiers. (Sima W3050 stereo power amps bridged to mono mode, I believe) You would not think these little speakers could handle that much power, but they just sing with that setup. Of course the amplifier quality had a lot to do with it...

Fortunately, this is just a theoretical concern for me, as all the players available where I am are uncapped, so I have not had to make that hard decision, of needing to spend the extra effort, and cost, to import an uncapped model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back