Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jun 1, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #8,266 of 8,274
I know this is a question thats been asked a thousand times in this forum. Im stuck in the loops between deciding to buy a WM1 but cant decide if I want to settle on the A or bite the bullet on getting a Z despite the steep cost increase. Im stuck on the thought of "is it enough of a difference to justify the increased cost?"

Obviously I know the hardware is definitely better and some people question if they would have bought one, especially after what the software over the years, including Walkman ONE has done to close the gap. But how large actually is the gap after all of this?

how exactly (subjectively) would you describe they are different in sound between both of them?

Im just impatient because my A55 is nearing its end of life after about 4.5 years with the battery showing age, and a recent accident cracking the screen and damaging the jack. And im in an awkward spot finally where i can comfortably afford a WM1A but am just of reach of a WM1Z in good condition that would be reliable and a solid device that would hopefully last me many, many more years. Kinda like a buy one and be done. In about a month or a few weeks if all goes well, i should be able to easily afford one though, i just need to make a decision on what my plans are

Any input would be helpful if its not of annoyance to anybody.
I have both and use the same MrWalkman configurations on both.

The biggest difference is the 1Z has a much bigger soundstage, deeper and wider. Also the low end extends deeper with better details. However the 1A is no slouch. What it has over the 1Z is a fuller, warmer mid bass and weighs significantly less.

So if you are a basshead, go for the 1A and save some money. Otherwise the 1Z can't be beat and with the right head/earphones and cable can match high end stereo systems when it comes to music enjoyment.

Jun 1, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #8,267 of 8,274
Meanwhile the weight of the 1Z is one of its best features for me. Feels like a mini gold brick, literally.
Not if you fly frequently then it fast becomes a PIA and can attract the wrong attention from security. Those that want the 1Z sound signature can get 95% there by just flipping the firmware, this was established years ago. WM1A & WM1z are just differing flavours of the same that appeal to differing tastes. Sony had to counter, this was and is the result today. As time passes you realise much of the industry is smoke & mirrors as the electronics are well matured and have been so for a long time.

Few DAP's are bad these days but the are not all guaranteed to be to your taste. Without colouration they would all be the same as neutral is what it is...

Q-6

Jun 1, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #8,268 of 8,274
I can see your points, between the satisfaction of knowing you own "the iconic gold brick" i will agree is glorious, but i also see the point of for about the money i would spend on getting a somewhat good condition WM1Z i could get a great condition WM1A and have it modded and get near the same if not the same performance for about the same price it would cost just to order a good 1Z, even a bit less.

Portability is somewhat important so itll be relatively lightweight, but ill also keep the device in a case for most of its life so i likely wouldnt get to just sit and appreciate its beauty very often if i did buy the 1Z

Ultimately I settled on a very good condition 1A that was quite a bit cheaper for its respective condition and also tested. Furtherdown the line ill decide if and when I want to get it modded. Im expecting to recieve it anywhere in the next 4 says to 2 weeks.

Thank you to all those that responded with your inputs. I hope itll be quite the upgrade from the A55 so i will be eagerly anticipating its delivery

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #8,269 of 8,274
I can see your points, between the satisfaction of knowing you own "the iconic gold brick" i will agree is glorious, but i also see the point of for about the money i would spend on getting a somewhat good condition WM1Z i could get a great condition WM1A and have it modded and get near the same if not the same performance for about the same price it would cost just to order a good 1Z, even a bit less.

Portability is somewhat important so itll be relatively lightweight, but ill also keep the device in a case for most of its life so i likely wouldnt get to just sit and appreciate its beauty very often if i did buy the 1Z

Ultimately I settled on a very good condition 1A that was quite a bit cheaper for its respective condition and also tested. Furtherdown the line ill decide if and when I want to get it modded. Im expecting to recieve it anywhere in the next 4 says to 2 weeks.

Thank you to all those that responded with your inputs. I hope itll be quite the upgrade from the A55 so i will be eagerly anticipating its delivery
i started off with the a55 to "trial" the sony house sound under mrwalkman cfw. a55 is like 80% of wm1a with both of them being cfw modded. i could tell right away that the 1a was superior. i was listening to cal tjader and those vibraphones sing beautifully with added body with cymbals sounding crisp and full. you're going to love it.

Jun 2, 2024 at 2:02 AM Post #8,270 of 8,274
Not if you fly frequently then it fast becomes a PIA and can attract the wrong attention from security. Those that want the 1Z sound signature can get 95% there by just flipping the firmware, this was established years ago. WM1A & WM1z are just differing flavours of the same that appeal to differing tastes. Sony had to counter, this was and is the result today. As time passes you realise much of the industry is smoke & mirrors as the electronics are well matured and have been so for a long time.

Few DAP's are bad these days but the are not all guaranteed to be to your taste. Without colouration they would all be the same as neutral is what it is...

Q-6
I agree, if I was happy with 95% I would have got the WM1A.

Jun 2, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #8,271 of 8,274
On a sidenote, how do you rate MUB1 compared to WM1A. That little powerhouse is building up quite a reputation for itself.
MUB1 is good DAC, I only use it with my macbook when I'm working. Compared to WMA1 it has more power. This affects the dynamics and resolution, but you should take into account that its notes are thicker than WMA1 and warmer.

Jun 2, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #8,272 of 8,274
I agree, if I was happy with 95% I would have got the WM1A.
I see them as different and much depends on the library, but the weight was something I just didnt like at all about the 1Z.

Q-6

Jun 2, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #8,273 of 8,274
I see them as different and much depends on the library, but the weight was something I just didnt like at all about the 1Z.

Q-6
I've been using my 1Z daily at home and when I go to the 1A to take out it feels like a feather :astonished:

Jun 2, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #8,274 of 8,274

I've owned Sony gear since the cassette Walkmans, but didn't get on a more quality focused path until my A15, which was the first one to accept lossless files prompting me to improve the quality of my library. I would upgrade to the next tier every couple of years so got to appreciate the step up from the A15 > ZX100 > ZX300 > WM1A > WM1Z. I found it addicting each time to attain a benefit in soundstage, clarity, texture, separation etc each time - diminishing returns, yes, mostly, but something that over time with focused listening to your valued music library can be easily written off in my mind.
I recently bought a low-priced used ZX300 to use when I don't want to risk damaging my 1Z, and to preserve it's battery life. I have since come to realize that my listening time to music with the ZX300 has literally doubled as I would quite often pass on using the 1Z due to weight/size and/or in situations I might damage it while doing things around the house. Also, I actually really like the ZX300 and find it totally satisfying to listen to. I did have a quick listen at my desk to the 1Z and definitely could notice and appreciate the difference in SQ, but for the price...
I think you've made a good move getting the 1A, you should notice a significant step up from your A55. Yes the 1Z MAY be a worthy step up, but that can always be a choice you could make a bit later, which may be appreciated more instead of going straight from the A55. The 1A maybe perfect for you, and then you have the choice to have it modded, but at least you haven't stretched yourself financially and have achieve a big step up - definitely go 4.4mm balanced.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back