The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 22, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #22,486 of 22,500
FYI we've had a few people email us anticipating a new AB1266. For the record, we're currently not working on this, too many other projects. ABYSS_SMILEY_tiny.png

woo_audio_wa33_jps_edition.jpg
The Rangers are in the playoffs. :thinking:

For now.

May 23, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #22,487 of 22,500
Every time I listen to the 1266 TC to see if I want to sell, it kicks my rear end and tells me to sit down :beyersmile: I don't know if any headphone rocks as hard as the 1266

May 23, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #22,488 of 22,500
Every time I listen to the 1266 TC to see if I want to sell, it kicks my rear end and tells me to sit down :beyersmile: I don't know if any headphone rocks as hard as the 1266
there isnt. its the most fun sounding headphone there is

May 23, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #22,489 of 22,500
LMAO...I've had 1266 since January and just discovered - accidentally - that I've been wearing them about 2 inches too high on my head.

I thought the top screw was loose, so I had tried to check while listening and accidentally pushed the headphones down. It was like someone switched on a 10db bass shelf. It was ridiculous!

They felt fine on my ears, but thinking about it now my actual ear canals have been at the very bottom of the ear cups. What an idiot!! This is like someone's given me a free upgrade on what were already my favourite headphones.

NOW I'm finally hearing the subwoofer effect people have been talking about. I've honestly been sitting here cackling away to myself. It's like having a jet engine next to my ears.

I've put on Korn's Freak on a Leash for a laugh because it's the boomiest song I know. It's like being at a gig. Totally mental. And it's bringing another dimension to basically everything else I'm playing. Even classical.

This is an absolutely insane experience. I dread to think how many people have walked away from these headphones unimpressed all because they didn't get a proper fit.

If you've been lacking bass, folks, try this out.

Today is only a few hours old for me and I already know I"m going to get ZERO work done. Sounds good to me :)

May 23, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #22,490 of 22,500
there isnt. its the most fun sounding headphone there is
For me, Utopia and Stellia come really close and are a nice alternative. Stellia especially surprised me, it's more of a "commercial" product, but it can rock hard from a simple dongle ... it's actually mind bending what you can get with Stellia from Dragonfly Red when you have a 15k+ system sitting next to it and you ask yourself ... do I really need all of that 🤣

May 23, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #22,491 of 22,500
For me, Utopia and Stellia come really close and are a nice alternative. Stellia especially surprised me, it's more of a "commercial" product, but it can rock hard from a simple dongle ... it's actually mind bending what you can get with Stellia from Dragonfly Red when you have a 15k+ system sitting next to it and you ask yourself ... do I really need all of that 🤣
I loaned out my Utopia before your Bliss arrived. Looking forward to getting it back!

You were right about 1266 on Bliss, btw. It's fantastic. Preferred it on Bliss over Envy. Better dynamics and punch. It's more 'lovely' on Envy the way it stages and images, which you would expect on tubes vs solid state. But the imaging sounds more highly resolved on Bliss, more distinct.

May 23, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #22,492 of 22,500
LMAO...I've had 1266 since January and just discovered - accidentally - that I've been wearing them about 2 inches too high on my head.

I thought the top screw was loose, so I had tried to check while listening and accidentally pushed the headphones down. It was like someone switched on a 10db bass shelf. It was ridiculous!

They felt fine on my ears, but thinking about it now my actual ear canals have been at the very bottom of the ear cups. What an idiot!! This is like someone's given me a free upgrade on what were already my favourite headphones.

NOW I'm finally hearing the subwoofer effect people have been talking about. I've honestly been sitting here cackling away to myself. It's like having a jet engine next to my ears.

I've put on Korn's Freak on a Leash for a laugh because it's the boomiest song I know. It's like being at a gig. Totally mental. And it's bringing another dimension to basically everything else I'm playing. Even classical.

This is an absolutely insane experience. I dread to think how many people have walked away from these headphones unimpressed all because they didn't get a proper fit.

If you've been lacking bass, folks, try this out.

Today is only a few hours old for me and I already know I"m going to get ZERO work done. Sounds good to me :)
For me, the "aha, subwoofer" moment came when I read some advice somewhere on this thread to hinge the headphones so that the front of the ear pads create a gap the front of my ears. A little distance and air away from my ears and BABOOM!

I'm pretty sure the 1266 have ended my headphone search and I have very little interest to pursue other headphones. I had been thinking long and hard about getting Susvara, but I think I'd rather just save that money.

May 23, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #22,494 of 22,500
I`ve had my 1266 for soon to be two years now. Before the 1266 I bought and sold headphones quite often, but I really can`t see the point of doing that now, my search has ended.
I've had my 1266 PHI TC for almost 4 years and before that I had a similar experience to you - I bought and sold a lot of headphones at a big loss. My search is definitely over. There are a few models that I find interesting but none of them would replace the 1266 PHI TC - they would complement it at best.

May 23, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #22,495 of 22,500
For me, the "aha, subwoofer" moment came when I read some advice somewhere on this thread to hinge the headphones so that the front of the ear pads create a gap the front of my ears. A little distance and air away from my ears and BABOOM!
I find it sounding unnatural and strange this way. I much prefer controlling the subwoofer bass by leaving a gap at the back. You tilt it inwards and this way you also focus the stage in front of you rather than behind. That’s always my default tilt position

May 23, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #22,496 of 22,500
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
May 23, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #22,497 of 22,500
I loaned out my Utopia before your Bliss arrived. Looking forward to getting it back!

You were right about 1266 on Bliss, btw. It's fantastic. Preferred it on Bliss over Envy. Better dynamics and punch. It's more 'lovely' on Envy the way it stages and images, which you would expect on tubes vs solid state. But the imaging sounds more highly resolved on Bliss, more distinct.
Try it on WA33, you’ll be even more impressed than with Bliss (I had both)

May 23, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #22,498 of 22,500
I find it sounding unnatural and strange this way. I much prefer controlling the subwoofer bass by leaving a gap at the back. You tilt it inwards and this way you also focus the stage in front of you rather than behind. That’s always my default tilt position
I'll try it- Easy enough to test and compare between the two angles.

May 23, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #22,499 of 22,500
I do it similarly or angled with gap towards the bottom back

May 23, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #22,500 of 22,500
I think there are a bunch that challenge the 1266, but nothing beats it. For me Fostex th-900 mk2, Denon 9200, Utopia 2022 come to mind. Stellia wasn’t for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back