Tube rolling thread | UltraSonic Studios
May 23, 2024 at 3:23 AM Post #3,706 of 3,711
The story of the 6AG7. I never heard of this tube but got one by mistake. Looks nice, seems an 9W pentode.

I never thought to try these, I would need a pair anyway but it seems some others already did that here. From what I see these work in the 6SJ7 -> something adapters. In my case my adapters 6SJ7 -> are built towards 6J5 but should also work in 6V6. I measured that I need around -9.3V for 180V/4mA and this means I can put in the other channel one Mullard ECH3 and then just check how this sounds in the other channel. I might do this in the future, I doubt anyone used around 6AG7 and they are dirty cheap on Ebay, 2-3 USD in the US.
I have tried these as drivers and have adapters for them. They are extremely powerful sounding with a ton of gain, least in my amp they were. I actually liked them so much that I grabbed a good NOS stock of them to be used in later projects!

EDIT: If you have ever tried the 6AC7/6AJ7 pentode triode strapped in the driver position, they are quite similar. Actually, I found both of these dirt cheap metal cans easily good enough to buy a good NOS stock of each. They both share the same qualities, some of the most dynamic and engaging sound from any tube I have heard with a ton of gain. Actually, I shall give them a try in my circuit tomorrow!

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 3:52 AM Post #3,707 of 3,711
I have tried these as drivers and have adapters for them. They are extremely powerful sounding with a ton of gain, least in my amp they were. I actually liked them so much that I grabbed a good NOS stock of them to be used in later projects!
What do you understand for "ton of gain" mr. Lion? Since it a pentode I doubt it goes above mu=20. That is peanuts for me, 60-70 is what I would call high gain. Anyway I'll try to prioritize my test of the piece I have because I was right when finding potential in this and you confirmed me. Some complain about microphony with it, I'll check this.
EDIT: If you have ever tried the 6AC7/6AJ7 pentode triode strapped in the driver position, they are quite similar.
No, I wanted to try 6SJ7 but never actually done this. I have those adapters in the box, near other tens of adapters.

May 23, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #3,708 of 3,711
What do you understand for "ton of gain" mr. Lion? Since it a pentode I doubt it goes above mu=20. That is peanuts for me, 60-70 is what I would call high gain. Anyway I'll try to prioritize my test of the piece I have because I was right when finding potential in this and you confirmed me. Some complain about microphony with it, I'll check this.
In the amps I used them in which were designed for 6SN7, by estimate (by ear and volume pot positions) they had at least twice the gain of a 6SN7.

May 23, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #3,710 of 3,711
Anyone into 6AG7? LOL

1716454529322.png

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back