ZMF Aegis Official Thread
Jun 5, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #1,156 of 1,167
I sure need to look for a better rectifier.. i wonder if anyone here has comment about how sophia 274b aqua sounds? Does it keep up with NOS rectifiers?
I am using one on my DNA Stellaris and like it quite a bit, w/r/t several others I've tried, including a few nos. Different amp of course, but as with the Aegis, the DNA isn't spec-ed for a true 274b. Used to use the Aqua on a Lampizator dac before getting a true 274b clone there.

Jun 5, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #1,157 of 1,167
Just received the new addition. This is my first 'full on' headphone tube amp and am looking forward to exploring and trying the best headphone pairing (currently have the Caldera Open and Verite Closed).

However, the wooden face plate on my unit has some play on the right side and I shifts up and down between my fingers. It moves a few mm up and down and is noticeable. Thankfully it does not pull off. The left side is pretty solid. I noticed it it immediately after unpacking and placing the amp its place.

Is there any way to tighten this up @L0rdGwyn @zach915m ? Any ideas from anyone else are certainly welcomed. TIA !

Jun 5, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #1,158 of 1,167
I just listed some Aegis-compatible NOS power tubes and rectifiers in classifieds if anyone needs something.

Jun 5, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #1,159 of 1,167
Just received the new addition. This is my first 'full on' headphone tube amp and am looking forward to exploring and trying the best headphone pairing (currently have the Caldera Open and Verite Closed).

However, the wooden face plate on my unit has some play on the right side and I shifts up and down between my fingers. It moves a few mm up and down and is noticeable. Thankfully it does not pull off. The left side is pretty solid. I noticed it it immediately after unpacking and placing the amp its place.

Is there any way to tighten this up @L0rdGwyn @zach915m ? Any ideas from anyone else are certainly welcomed. TIA !
Let me look into how it's attached tomorrow to see how easy tightening that is. Wanna send me and our support an email so we cna respond to it tomorrlw when I'm back at the shop?

Zach@zmfheadphones.com and support@zmfheadphones.com

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 5, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #1,161 of 1,167
Just received my unit today! Absolutely stunning! Will spend some time with it and report back.

One thing I am wondering, though… is there any way to increase the sensitivity of the VU meters? At my listening level they barely move at all.

Jun 5, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #1,163 of 1,167
Just received my unit today! Absolutely stunning! Will spend some time with it and report back.

One thing I am wondering, though… is there any way to increase the sensitivity of the VU meters? At my listening level they barely move at all.

The Vu meters are controlled by output voltage of your preamp. Insert a preamp with 4x gain such as the Schiit Freya+ and watch that baby vu meter jump in excitement :)

Jun 5, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #1,164 of 1,167
The Vu meters are controlled by output voltage of your preamp. Insert a preamp with 4x gain such as the Schiit Freya+ and watch that baby vu meter jump in excitement :)
Might need to ELI5. If I increase the input voltage won’t I just have to decease my listening level at the amp? Seems to me like the VU meters respond to the potentiometer on the amp as well.

Jun 5, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #1,165 of 1,167
I’ve now got my Elite connected with my 2K Copper cable plus matching adapter to the 6.35mm jack and my Atrium Closed connected with my Verite Silver cable to the XLR jack. This way they’re both connected all the time and all I have to do is flip the output and impedance switches when I swap headphones. I’m using “low” for the Elite and “medium” for the AC.

This is probably going to be a temporary arrangement since I have a custom fabric cover on the way to me from Poland that will require me to unplug the headphone cables every time I want to cover the amp. I really hope they had the forethought to add a little extra room for a volume knob. I didn’t think to mention this, so I’ll just have to wait and see if it fits when it gets here.

Jun 5, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #1,166 of 1,167
Might need to ELI5. If I increase the input voltage won’t I just have to decease my listening level at the amp? Seems to me like the VU meters respond to the potentiometer on the amp as well.

You will decrease the level at the amp to maintain listening levels but the vu meter will still be jumping with higher input voltage peak to peak swings compared to just lower input voltage to the amp

Jun 6, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #1,167 of 1,167
You will decrease the level at the amp to maintain listening levels but the vu meter will still be jumping with higher input voltage peak to peak swings compared to just lower input voltage to the amp
Hmm, I am perplexed. I have an RME ADI-2 and the VU meters seem to respond to changes in both the output level of the ADI-2 and the potentiometer of the Aegis itself. So, maintaining the same SPL via some combination of DAC output voltage and the Aegis' volume pot results in no change in the VU meter.

Anyway, just going to enjoy the music for now and worry about this later. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back