Kinera H3

Average User Rating:
4.57143/5,
  1. crabdog
    "A new contender"
    Pros - Gorgeous design. Great quality cable. Useful accessories. Clear and detailed sound.
    Cons - No lip on the nozzle - some ear-tips not held securely
    DSC_0101.JPG

I guess it's time to accept that most of us can't keep up with all the new earphone manufacturers coming out of China. But there will always be those who create something unique, special or remarkable that brings them onto our collective radar while others fade back into obscurity. The former is where we are today with Kinera and all the hubbub that has arisen surrounding their latest (and only second) product release.

Formed in 2007 the company was moderately successful with their first earphone the BD005, a low budget, dual driver hybrid and now they're expanding their product lineup with a new triple driver hybrid the Kinera H3. Early impressions and reviews have been almost unanimously positive and for good reason but are they really that good? Read on to find out how I feel about them and hopefully it will help the reader to decide whether they want to grace their ears with the Kinera H3.

Disclaimer: This sample was sent to me for the purpose of an honest review. I have no affiliation with the company and all observations and opinions are my own, based on my experience with the product. I'd like to thank Kinera for the opportunity to test the H3.

At the time of writing the Kinera H3 retails for $99.

Like most people on this type of site I'm a lover of music. In my younger days I spent several years as a hip-hop DJ (using real vinyl and turntables) as well as producing a variety of music on computer using a combination of MIDI and live instruments. I did a Home Studio Sound Certificate at the Milton School of Audio Engineering in Brisbane, Queensland which covered the setup of audio for playback and recording in a studio environment along with other basic engineering principles. Nowadays I prefer to simply listen to and enjoy music.

My taste in music has changed a great deal over the years. For a long time my only interest was in rap and hip-hop music. Now though I listen to all kinds of music including jazz, classical, rock, psytrance, folk and ambient. I listen to music everyday using portable gear consisting of a DAP and mostly IEMs or simple desktop setup consisting of a laptop and DAC at work and my desktop setup at home which is based around my PC or Shinrico D3S with a DAC, often but not always including a tube amp and full-sized headphones or speakers.

My preferred sound signature is fairly balanced with slightly elevated mid-bass and deep well-extended sub-bass, clear and resolving midrange with a touch of warmth and clean, airy treble. I'm not offended by brighter sounding gear but dislike any sibilance. The majority of my music is 16/44.1 flac files as I stopped using physical media (CD/vinyl) many years ago and prefer the convenience of digital formats.

Packaging and accessories

The H3 comes in a nice, textured black box with the brand name and model number embossed in gold print on the top. After opening the magnetic flap/lid you're presented with an airline adapter, a 3.5 mm to 6.35 mm adapter and semi-hard carrying case. Under the case is a user manual and thank you card. The case is very handy and large enough to easily accommodate the earphones with ample space left to throw in a small DAP. It's a bit too big to fit in your pocket but is the perfect size to carry in a bag.

Inside the case you'll fine the earphones, cable and 3 pairs of silicone ear-tips (S, M, L). The silicone tips are really nice quality, being supple yet grippy so you can imagine my dismay when I had confirmed that they are all too small for my ears.

20170801_222611.jpg 20170801_222630.jpg 20170801_222712.jpg 20170801_222742.jpg 20170801_222910.jpg

Let's take a minute to talk about the cable. This is an exceptionally nice cable for an IEM in this price range. It's supple yet feels durable and there's no stickiness to it. Starting at the top are the 2 pin connectors with a very subtle yet clever system of colored dots on the front side to denote Left and Right (blue for left, red for right). The connectors sit securely in the earphones but are still very easy to remove and insert. Further down is the flexible, transparent Y-split, accompanied by a matching cable cinch/chin slider. The cable terminates in a straight, metal plug that is quite long but of good quality with excellent strain relief.
    20170801_223351.jpg 20170801_223331.jpg

Build, comfort and isolation

The designer/s of the H3 must have been feeling inspired when they created this IEM as they've produced something that not only looks fantastic but is also extremely comfortable. I feel that the appearance alone of the H3 played a big part in the early hype of the product as it looks very premium and more like higher priced IEMs.

The outside of the acrylic shells is an inverted teardrop shape in glossy black with the brand logo printed in gold lettering. On the inner part of the shells is the same material but here it's translucent allowing you to glimpse the internal drivers and wiring. This part is shaped similarly to a custom IEM and there's a small vent just next to the female 2 pin connector. All the edges are rounded and smooth plus the face-plate and main body are seamlessly joined adding to the overall aesthetics.

Although the H3 looks a little awkwardly shaped on the inner side it actually provides a very nice and comfortable fit. It was quite a bold move by the company to adopt this build but it has paid off handsomely, resulting in one of the most comfortable CIEMs that I've ever used. The shells fit wonderfully inside the conch of the ear which also means they don't protrude out as much as you might expect.

There are some shortcomings in the build though and the first lies in the design of the nozzles. The usual lip or ridge is absent here and that coupled with a slightly more narrow than average diameter means that ear-tips have a tendency to come off when removing the earphones. Secondly I was experiencing a lot of driver flex, mostly when first inserting or readjusting the shells but also when moving my jaw. Fortunately the driver flex has all but disappeared with the tips that I finally settled on (remember the provided ones were all too small for my ears).

Due to the way the H3 sits in and fills the ear's conch sound isolation is above average but keep in mind they are vented so some sound will still come through. Regardless of that though, these still block out a good deal of sound and are very suitable for noisy environments, allowing you to enjoy your music without needing to pump up the volume to dangerous levels.

20170801_223255.jpg 20170801_223234.jpg 20170801_223217.jpg

Sources used for testing:
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    • Benjie T6
    • Acoustic Research MR-20
    • PC/Foobar2000 > Topping DX7
    With an impedance of 48 ohms the H3 benefits from some extra driving power and may suffer a little from weaker sources like some smartphones. It's most evident in the authority of the bass notes and I'd recommend using a good DAP or headphone amplifier to get the most out of this IEM.

The H3 has a clear, energetic sound that's packed with detail and has good instrument separation. It can be a little aggressive in the high frequencies and may cause some fatigue if listening to certain music genres (rock, metal etc) or at high volume.

Bass is controlled and has nice body but is pushed back a little behind the mids, particularly the upper mids. Sub-bass reaches fairly low but again struggles to make itself felt due to the overreaching nature of the upper-mid peak. It does have that natural dynamic feel and in the right tracks sounds great and fairly linear, very nicely textured without being overbearing.

The midrange has a lot of clarity and detail, is very energetic up in the higher mids and overall has good tonality. It can sometimes come across as a little thin which you might or might not like depending on personal preference. Vocals sound natural and uncolored and are quite forward while remaining the same clarity seen throughout the midrange.

When we get to the treble there's a peak that brings certain sounds very forward in the mix which can throw off the balance and as a result there's some loss of cohesion. Listening to Ludovico Einaudi's "Indaco" things get off to a good start until he hits the high notes which sound unnaturally loud. A similar effect can be heard on certain high hats and snare snaps among other things. However the timbre remains accurate and adds some shimmer but there is a sense of the sound always teetering on sibilance.

Soundstage is fairly wide and while not the widest to be found in this price range it's also far from being narrow. There's a fair sense of depth as well with fairly good imaging and instrument placement that isn't razor sharp but surely lets you know where sounds are coming from.

20170801_223726.jpg

Comparisons

TFZ Exclusive King ($95-$99 USD)
    Has more more mid-bass punch and is a little warmer in the lower midrange. Is more cohesive and evenly spread in the upper frequencies. Sub-bass digs deeper and gives a little more rumble. More warmth in the lower mids and slightly more in general. I feel it has just a little bit superior tonality. Has a slightly wider nozzle and a lip to keep tips secure. Is easier to drive. The cable is good but not the same stellar quality as the one provided with the H3.

Thinksound ms02 ($99 USD)
    Is more natural and organic with a comparatively relaxed treble. A little more recessed midrange which is noticeably less clear than that on the H3. Switching between the two the ms02 sounds a little muddy in comparison but in reality it isn't - it's just that the H3 has such exceptional clarity in the mids. Has a non-detachable cable. Bass and lower mids have more weight and body than the H3 and it has a more easygoing signature.

12.jpg
    From left to right: TFZ Exclusive King, Thinksound ms02, Kinera H3

Conclusion

Kinera's H3 is a great looking, great fitting IEM that has certainly got people's attention around the web's audio sites and related social media communities. It has a wonderfully appealing design aesthetic that looks premium and desirable but there's still a little room for improvement, mainly in regards to the nozzle. The sound signature of the H3 could be polarizing, appealing to those who like an emphasis on high frequencies and a bright sound but deterring for people who prefer a more relaxed and non-fatiguing listening experience. There's no doubt that it produces a clear and detailed sound but it does so at the risk of being a little too energetic on occasion. It's certainly an interesting product that deserves recognition is it's crowded price bracket and should not be overlooked if you're shopping for something around the $100 mark. With the release of the H3 it looks like Kinera are setting themselves up to be a serious player in the IEM market.

4/5

images

1. 20170801_222742.jpg
    B9Scrambler likes this.
  2. B9Scrambler
    "Kinera H3: What a Gem"
    Pros - Attractive and Comfortable Design - Refined Sound
    Cons - Minor QC Issues - Recessed Mids - No Nozzle Lip
    Greetings Head-fi!

Today we're checking out Kinera's newest earphone, the H3.

The entry level earphone market has seen a massive influx of products that offer ridiculous bang for your buck. The 100 USD price point has gotten particularly competitive this year with products from Simgot, Magaosi, TFZ, Oriveti, and many more coming out to positive impressions and fanfare. Kinera's decision to dive into this price point with a triple hybrid, of which there are already quite a few, means they're going to have to bring something unique to the table to really stand out and make their name.

Does the H3 have what it takes? Let's find out.

DSC01563.JPG DSC01568.JPG DSC01569.JPG

Disclaimer:

A huge thanks to Steve with Kinera for seeing if I would be interested in checking out their new earphone, and for setting me up with a complimentary review sample of the H3. The thoughts within this review are my own and do not represent Kinera or any other entity. There is no financial incentive for writing this review.

At the time of this review the Kinera H3 retailed for 99 USD and could be picked up via their store on AliExpress; https://kinera2017.aliexpress.com/store/3102002

Be sure to check them out on Facebook too: https://www.facebook.com/kinera2017/

I'm a 30 year old professional working for what is currently the largest luxury hotel chain on the planet. I have a background in Psychology which probably explains my somewhat dry writing style. My entry into the world of portable audio was due primarily to a lack of space for a full-sized stereo system during my university years, and truly began with the venerable JVC HA-FXT90. After reading pretty much the entirety of IjokerI's multi-earphone review thread, reviews from other established writers, and thus being greatly inspired, I took a chance and started writing my own.

Fast forward a couple years and I'm thankful to have had the opportunity to write about products for wonderful companies like HiFiMan, RHA, Accutone, ADVANCED, NarMoo, Mixcder, Brainwavz, Meze, and many more. I don't do it for money or free stuff, but because this is my hobby and I enjoy it. If my reviews can help guide someone to a product that makes them happy, I'll consider that a job well done and payment enough.

Gear used for testing was a Shanling M1, HiFiMan MegaMini, and my TEAC HA-501 headphone amp. I listen primarily to various EDM sub-genres (liquid drum and bass, breakbeat, drumstep, etc.), hip hop, and classic rock. While I enjoy a variety of signatures I generally lean towards slightly warm with elevated treble and sub-bass, an even mid-range response, and reduced mid-bass. Lately I've been enjoying more mellow and relaxed products with a bass tilt. Two of my favorite in-ears, the Echobox Finder X1 with grey filters installed and the Fischer Audio Dubliz Enhanced are good examples of my preferred signatures.

DSC01552.JPG DSC01553.JPG DSC01557.JPG
    Packaging and Accessories:

The H3's textured, black cardboard box, adorned with gold letting looks quite classy and has a very involving, tactile feel in hand. The magnetically sealed flap opens and closes with a reassuring snap. Lifting it reveals a foam insert which houses cutouts containing a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter, an airline adapter, and a fairly large, rectangular clam shell carrying case. Underneath the case is a business card thanking you for choosing Kinera and a fairly basic manual covering the earphone specs, safety reminders, maintenance tips, the correct way to insert the cable into the earpieces, and warranty information. Within the case you find the H3 itself and spare eartips. The full accessory kit included with the H3 is;

- H3 ear pieces

- 1 cable

- Sony Hybrid clone silicone eartips (s/m/l)

- 1/4" adapter

- airplane adapter

- clam shell carrying case

- Velcro cable tie

Overall it's a fairly basic accessory kit. The included Sony clone tips are of good quality, and without the real thing on hand to compare with I would never have been able to tell the difference. The case is spacious and plenty large enough to hold everything that's included. The airplane and 1/4" adapters are handy, pending you're going to take the H3 with you on flights and hook it up to a desktop system via a 1/4" output. If you're not planning to use those they're a somewhat wasted inclusion that would have been better left out in place of something more useful, such as a mobile cable or a more extensive tip selection.

DSC01554.JPG DSC01556.JPG DSC01558.JPG
    Build, Comfort, and Isolation:

The H3 is a pretty sexy earphone, there's no denying it. My particular example is sitting here looking stunning with it's red/black color scheme, accented with Kinera in gold lettering. Damn, they look good. Adding to the visual appeal is the opaque inner body which allows you to catch a glimpse inside to view the inner workings and layout of the well-tuned single dynamic, twin balanced armature setup. I also appreciate that the fit and finish on my example is nearly flawless, with the only blemish I could locate being a small strip of uncolored acrylic where the black backing and red inner housing meet. It's not something you would notice unless you're deliberately hunting down flaws.

Another bit of visual flair in the H3's favor is the braided 6N silver-plated copper cable terminated in 0.78mm, 2-pin connectors. The braid is tight and consistent below the y-split, but a little loose above, particularly on the right side. I love that Kinera went with preformed, flexible ear guides instead of memory wire. In my experience it's just as effective in keeping the cable in place, but is much more comfortable and less fiddly. The straight jack also gets a big thumbs up as it can easily be disassembled should you damage the cable and need to make some repairs, or decide to re-terminate with a 90 degree angled jack.

The H3's beautiful design, clearly inspired by custom in-ear monitors, also happens to be exceptionally comfortable. All the curves in the body are smooth and laid out in a way that ensures they perfectly conform to my outer ear. Just insert and give the H3 a slight twist which locks them in place. Their design also ensures they are very stable during heavy activity. Keeping in mind that they are not sweat resistant, I could easily see someone using the H3 for working out or some other strenuous activity, because they're not going to be falling out.

IMAG2416_1.jpg
    Given how tightly they conform to my outer ear, the H3 is one of the most isolating earphones I've come across. Toss on some Sony Isolation Hybrids (foam/silicone combination) and these drown out external noise almost as well as a couple active noise canceling earphones I've got on hand, those being the Mixcer ANC-G5 and OVC H15.

To counter all this overwhelming positivity, I must point out a couple minor QC issues that cropped up. Note that I haven't seen mention of these two items in any other comments or reviews. In the ear piece itself, when removing the cable the metal contact/sleeve pulls out slightly. The straight jack's strain relief doesn't fit as tightly as it should, and as a result can be pulled out of place and up the cable. Neither of these issues have stopped me from using the H3, nor have they gotten worse after weeks of heavy use.

Overall the H3 isolates well, is wonderfully built, and visually is an absolute stunner. Minus the aforementioned QC issues, my only concern about the H3 is the lack of a lip on the nozzle. When trying out alternate tips I found some had a tendency to slip off. Not an issue unique to the H3, but a mild annoyance nonetheless.

DSC01564.JPG DSC01565.JPG DSC01566.JPG
    Specifications:

Impedance: 48Ω

Frequency Response: 20-20000 Hz

Sensitivity: 101 dB

Cable: 6N silver-plated copper with 2-pin, 0.78mm connectors

Tips: Due to the nozzle design I didn't really have any success tip-rolling with the H3 since none of my wide bore tips would stay on. Alternate tips that worked were Dunu's Heir-style tips from the Titan 1, KZ's "Starline" tips, and HiFiMan's compact dual-flange tips. None of them affected the H3's sound in any significant way. While all testing was done with the stock mediums, Dunu's tips were the most comfortable for me.

Source:I didn't find the H3 particularly hard to drive though it did seem to scale nicely when moving from something portable like a phone or Shanling M1, to my desktop amp the TEAC HA-501. Through the TEAC the H3 sounded quicker across the board and it's treble presentation was tighter and cleaner.

The H3's two balanced armature drivers and one dynamic driver deliver what I hear as a warm, slightly skewed v-shaped signature with the lower mid-range being the least prominent aspect of it's sound. It's makes for an exciting listen, and one of the better options in it's price range.

Treble has shown itself to be well extended with an airy, detailed, presentation. Given the H3's stock sound runs a little bright, treble heavy tracks can be quite fatiguing, especially as the volume increases. One quality I appreciate is that while the H3 is very detailed in the treble regions, its not unforgiving. This could be seen as both a positive and a negative, but to me it’s a plus. I can use the H3 with poorly recorded or low quality files and I’m not overwhelmed and distracted by flaws in the track. They’re there, but not brought to the forefront.

Mids on the H3 are pulled back a bit, particularly the lower mids with some male vocals coming across quieter than they should. This is most notable with much of the hip hop I listen to where male vocals fail to stand out and instead occupy the same space as the background instrumentals. Female vocals fare better and display the prominence I would expect within the context of a track. Although the H3's mids are slightly recessed, their weight and thickness somewhat makes up for the set back placement.

In the low end is where the H3 truly excels to my ears. From the perspective of quantity, the H3 carries with it a healthy, robust bassline. It's got some serious mid-bass punch backed by an addictive sub-bass rumble that routinely had me seeking out tracks with a sub-bass focus. The balance between mid- and sub-bass is tuned so neither takes a more aggressive stance. The H3's bass is also highly textured and fairly rapid, making it an awesome pairing with the liquid drum and bass mixes I listen to on a routine basis.

The H3's sound stage displays more width than depth, with channel transitions being very clear and stepped accurately. While not massive, the excellent imaging and separation qualities make this a very engaging earphone. During my initial impressions I had a feeling these would be quite effective for accurate sound positioning in gaming, an impression which ended up being fairly accurate. They perform in line with two earphones I routinely use for gaming, the Fisher Audio Dubliz Enhanced and Brainwavz B100, and almost serve as a go-between for the two very different signatures of those earphones.

Overall the H3 is a very crisp and clean sounding earphone with a good amount of refinement to it's signature. I prefer a more forward mid-range but the detail and clarity this hybrid set up brings to the table makes this tune more than adequate. It would also be nice if it's treble was less prominent. It seems unnecessary and doesn't really add anything, falling into that trap of advertising it's a hybrid by emphasizing the detail and clarity a BA can bring to the table.

Select Comparisons:

DSC01632.JPG
    Audbos K3 (119 USD): The K3 is a solid all-round earphone with fantastic build quality, a great accessory kit, and a competent u-shaped tune. It's a great sounding earphone, but the H3 is better. I find the K3 to have a warmer, darker presentation than the H3. This makes them less immediately engaging but better for longer listening sessions. While still quite detailed, the H3 shows off better retrieval and improved texturing. This statement is especially applicable to the low end where the K3's lack of punch and texture is quite apparent. The K3 doesn't have the end-to-end extension of the H3 either, resulting in a more mid-bassy presentation. The H3's sound stage is also larger and more dynamic than the K3s.

Where the K3 makes up some ground is in it's accessories. The included tips are some of my favorites due to the sticky compound and proven durability. It also comes with two cables terminated in MMCX which you can argue both for (widely supported) and against (durability). The primary cable is especially nice, and is one of my favorites due to the flexible yet dense sheath and well-shaped preformed ear guides. Audbos's semi-hard carry case is a notable step up in quality over the H3's, with it's faux-leather exterior and soft, spacious interior adorned with two large pouches for holding everything securely in place. While I greatly prefer the K3's accessory kit, the H3's excellent sonic performance takes my preference.

DSC01634.JPG
    Fischer Audio Dubliz Enhanced (109 USD): The Dubliz Enhanced has been one of my benchmark products in this price range since reviewing them back in April. They do everything well and nothing poorly, all wrapped within a warm, non-fatiguing yet very detailed signature.

As you would expect from the statement above, the Dubliz Enhanced and the H3 are very different beasts. The H3 is significantly brighter than the Dubliz. Comparing the two back-to-back the H3's extra shimmer and sparkle up top makes for a much more exciting, but also fatiguing, and less natural listen. Without hesitation I can say the Dubliz Enhanced has a significant edge in the mid-range. It's much more forward, authoritative and lush, giving up nothing in terms of detail and clarity to the H3. Bass is a much more even comparison with the two performing about on par. Quantity is quite similar with the Dubliz having a more prominent mid-bass hump. While the H3 has a more airy presentation, the Dubliz sounds larger and displays greater variance on the same tracks in how far it will distance sound.

Build is also quite different with the Dubliz having a solid aluminum shell in a more traditional and versatile barrel shape. Fit and finish is clearly in Fischer Audio's camp. While I found the H3's custom-like shape more comfortable and much more secure, it's size and unique shape means it's not going to work for everyone. The Dubliz should offer more universal appeal in terms of fit.

Given the great variation in signature and design, I find these two earphones complimentary. If I want an exciting listen I'll listen to the H3. If I want something more mellow but no less detailed, I'll choose the Dubiz Enhanced. Edge goes to the Dubliz for the more natural presentation and forward, lush mid-range.

DSC01636.JPG
    TFZ Exclusive King (99 USD): The King is less bassy and has a much more prominent mid-range (especially lower mids) with a similarly enthusiastic treble presentation. I found the H3 to show off more sparkle in the upper ranges, giving cymbal hits a more engaging sound. Neither sounds quite right since the King is a bit dry in it's presentation, but I prefer the H3's presentation. The biggest knock against the H3 in this comparison is the recessed mid-range which really stands out when flipping between the two earphones. Detail is nearly on par but male vocals simply sound too far away and quiet. Guitars also have a rawness and texture to them that's missing on the H3. The H3 is significantly bassier but retains the speed and punch of the King, while improving on raw extension. The King has the larger sound stage, without question, though imaging and layering qualities are quite similar. Neither sounds even remotely congested.

They are both beautiful looking products with great build quality. Since I haven't run into any QC issues with my King (fixed cable version btw) I'll have to give it the nod. Security in fit and comfort are clearly in the H3's wheelhouse though, especially given the weight the King carries. Accessories are about even. I like the variety and quality of the King's included tip set, but the H3's carrying case offers much more protection than the King's soft, faux-leather baggy.

It's hard to say which one of the two I prefer. The H3 is better fitting and more comfortable and I appreciate it's bass presence and smoother, more refined sound. The King's mid-range really highlights the H3's recession and shortcomings in that area, however. I suppose the King would be better for more serious listening, while the H3 would make for a more livable daily beater.

DSC01640.JPG
    TFZ Exclusive 5 (92.90 USD): I find the 5 a more fitting comparison to the H3 given it maintains nearly all of the positive qualities of the King while adding in a more robust low end. This results in a signature that's more in line with the H3's.

Once again the 5 is less bassy than the H3, but not to the same extent as the King. It's bass feels a touch less nimble than the H3's and less balanced with it's focus shifted more to sub-bass regions. The 5 has lots of heft and weight behind it's bass though, a quality I find quite unique to that earphone. The H3's treble presentation is brighter, thinner, and more sparkly than the 5. The 5 shares the King's slightly dry sound and as a result the H3's treble is more engaging for me, though I also find it more fatiguing. The mid-range is once again the area where the H3 doesn't cut the mustard. While the 5's mids are not quite as forward as the King's, they're still much more prominent than the H3's. Maintain the lush texturing of the King and add in the unique weight and heft of the 5's presentation and the H3 falls short of the mark. Sound stage is much closer with me giving a slight edge to the 5.

Despite being much smaller, the 5's ear pieces are all metal and as a result significantly heavier than the H3 and it's use of lightweight acrylic. The 5's design to my ears is more ergonomic and more comfortable than the King but it still falls short of the H3, never feeling quite as secure and unobtrusive. As much as I like the look of the 5, it's much more subtle than the H3, lacking it's attention grabbing qualities. The 5's accessories are pretty much the same as the Kings, so I'm split there.

When it comes down to it I prefer the competing 5's sound but the H3's design and comfort.

Final Thoughts:

The H3 has proven itself an excellent entry into a very competitive segment. The custom-like design looks absolutely phenomenal to my eyes and it's well-thought out ergonomics make the H3 one of the most comfortable earphones I've come across to date. This backed by a refined, v-shaped signature that compares well with other offerings in the segment makes them a pretty easy recommendation. I only wish the mid-range was pulled forward into the mix where it wouldn't simply play a supporting role.

If this is an indication of the quality of products Kinera can bring to the market, I'm excited to see where they will go next. For now, if you're considering a new earphone around 100 USD, Kinera's H3 should be vying for your attention.

Thanks for reading!

- B9Scrambler

***** ***** ***** ***** *****​

Some Test Tunes:

Aesop Rock - Skelethon (Album)

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (Album)

Elton John - Yellow Golden Brick Road (Album)

King Crimson - Lark's Tongues in Aspic (Album)

King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black (Track)

Supertramp - Crime of the Century (Album)

Infected Mushroom - Converting Vegetarians (Album)

Infected Mushroom - Legend of the Black Shawarma (Album)

Gorillaz - Plastic Beach (Album)

Massive Attack - Mezzanine (Album)

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors (Album)

Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels (Album)

The Prodigy - The Day is My Enemy (Album)

Tobacco - F****d Up Friends

Felt - Felt 2 (A Tribute to Lisa Bone)
  3. Cinder
    "A Triple-Threat Underdog"
    Pros - Ergonomic design, good bass signature, incredible lyric-intelligibility, good cable, 2-pin, good case
    Cons - Minor cosmetic issues, very minor build deficiencies in the cable
    Kinera H3 Review: A Triple-Threat Underdog

If you had told me two months ago that I would be seriously considering a Kinera IEM for my daily-driver I would have laughed in your face. After all, don’t they only make super-cheap budget IEMs?

Well, not anymore.

With their brand-new triple-driver hybrid IEM, the H3, featuring two balanced-armature drivers and a single dynamic driver in a three-way cross-over, Kinera has broken into the higher-tier market of portable audio. But is is special enough to be worth your attention?

You can find the H3 for sale on Penon Audio, here, for $99. The H3 comes in three color variations, Blue/Black, Red/Black, and Black.

Disclaimer: This unit was provided to me free of charge for review purposes. I am not affiliated with Kinera or Penon Audio beyond this review. These words reflect my true, unaltered, opinion about the product. I would like to offer a sincere thank you to Steve from Kinera.

Preference and Bias: Before reading a review, it is worth mentioning that there is no way for a reviewer to objectively pass judgment on the enjoy-ability of a product: such a thing is inherently subjective. Therefore, I find it necessary for you to read and understand what I take a natural liking to and how that might affect my rating of a product.

My ideal sound signature would be an extended sub-bass with a leveled, but textured, mid-bass. The mids should be slightly less pronounced than the treble, but still ahead of the bass. I prefer a more bright upper range.

Source: The H3 was powered like so:

HTC U11 -> USB-C adapter -> earphones

Nexus 6P -> earphones

HTC One M8 -> earphones

Hidizs AP100 3.5mm out -> FiiO A5 3.5mm out -> earphones

HiFiMAN SuperMini -> earphones

PC optical out -> HiFiMe SPDIF 9018 Sabre DAC 3.5mm out -> earphones

All music was served as MP3 @320Kbps or as FLAC.

The H3 did audibly, though subtly, benefit from amping in the lower register.

Sound Signature
    Initial Impressions:

The H3 immediately caught my attention with how “fluid” it sounded. Excellent dynamics and depth immediately gave me a respect for the audio engineers at Kinera. I didn’t think I was listening to a $99 IEM. Part of my early enthusiasm was due to the fact that my ears had not previously been exposed to W-shaped frequency responses.

Upper-treble is boosted past the lower-treble. There’s a spike in the mids, especially around the 2KHz–5KHz range, and the bass is matched with the mids, being only slightly more pronounced.

Treble: Songs used: In One Ear, Midnight City, Outlands, Satisfy

Treble is clear, precise, and detailed, providing a nice layer of air in most recordings. It’s not quite as breath-taking on IEMs like the Accutone Pisces BA or Heir 4A.I S, but it is definitely there.

High-hats and cymbals are well-bodied and have a quick attack and decay. However in spite of the H3’s treble’s technical prowess, it just misses some of that sweetness found in other IEM’s treble. It’s not a deal-breaker, but something worth noting if that is a major quality you look for in your IEMs.

I’m glad to report that the H3 passes my sibilance testing with flying colors! At least in most cases. The crossover must be reasonably sensitive, because amping the H3 in certain (albiet very strange and uncommon) source configurations can lead to a moderate amount of sibilance. However none of the sources listed above were causing any problems.

Mids: Songs used: Flagpole Sitta, Jacked Up, I Am The Highway, Dreams

The H3 has really robust mids, especially where vocals are concerned. Lyric intelligibility is way above average at this price point, and punches squarely with some IEMs three or four times its price, easily. I can recall several instances where I was left thinking to myself “Oh, so that’s what he’s been saying” on songs I’ve listened to for five years!

But instrumentally the H3 is no slouch either. Guitars, acoustic and electric, both have a nice timbre. Electric crunch and distortion is particularly enjoyable on the H3 meaning all you edgy death-metal listeners out there should feel right at home.

Pianos are also nice, but a little lacking in body for my tastes. This is my only real complaint with the H3’s sound signature: where the lower-mids at? This is a matter of personal preference, obviously, but it would be nice to see Kinera create an IEM that had a bit of a warmer lower-midrange.

Bass: Songs used: Moth, Gold Dust, In For The Kill (Skream Remix), War Pigs (Celldweller Remix)

Bass isn’t particularly aggressive, but it is definitely there, and is undeniably punchy when amped correctly. In terms of bass signature, I’d have to say the H3 is pretty linear, with a slightly higher emphasis on mid-bass than sub-bass. Still though, the H3 has pretty good extension down to the 30Hz-50Hz band giving it a good rumble.

Electronic music fans rejoice; bass drops and chaotic rumbly choruses sound wonderful through the H3, just don’t expect it to shatter and skulls.

Packaging / Unboxing
    The H3 comes in high quality packaging not often seen at this price point. The textured box has a premium feel to it, with the earphones and accessories well-protected within.

Build
    Construction Quality

The H3 is very well constructed and is reminiscent of CIEMs in composition. The driver housings are made from a plastic composite which is a single seamless shell.

[​IMG]
    The face-plate is well-polished, and the Kinera logo is printed very accurately onto it with no noticeable flaws.

[​IMG]
    The nozzle is average in length, and is tipped with a finely-perforated metal grill. There’s no real lip to speak of, so some after-market eartips may slip off, though I’ve not had any issues so far.

[​IMG]
    Kinera chose to go (thankfully) with a 2-pin connector for removable cables. The female half of the mechanism is slightly recessed into a cleanly-cut depression. The metal sits flush with the shell, inspiring confidence in me regarding the H3’s longevity.

[​IMG]
    The H3’s cable is one of the best around at this price range that I’ve tested, if not the best. It’s a four-strand braided silver cable using a double-chain braid below the plastic Y-splitter, and a simple twist-braid above it. It’s similar in geometry to the copper cable used by the new Simgot IEMs, though it is much more thick.

[​IMG]
    The cable terminates in a metal-enclosed 3.5mm jack. The H3’s cable implements a stress relief system I’ve been vouching for for a long time: a double plastic sleeve. It’s essentially two completely separate malleable acrylic cylinders set inside one another. It works really great, though the outer cylinder appears to be in need of better adhesive. It won’t be an issue with the majority of cases, but a strong (and fast) sideways pull on the cable perpendicular to the housing of the jack could dislodge the outer cylinder.

I’m just nitpicking.

[​IMG]
    The cable uses memory-wire guides. They are well-made, well shaped, and mold to the ear. I’ve got no reason to worry about their longevity.

I don’t know what wizardry Kinera employed, but on their first real high-end IEM they succeeded in making one of the most ergonomic universal IEMs I have ever had the pleasure of using. I spent multiple days using the H3 for a full 8-hour work day. I had zero comfort issues.

Accessories

[​IMG]
    The H3’s accessories are okay, but definitely not the best I’ve seen for $99. Inside the box you’ll find:

• 1x 6.2mm to 3.5mm jack
    • 3x extra eartips
    • 1x semi-hard case
    • 1x airline adapter
    The silicone tips are ok, but nothing to write home about. It appears that the case, while quite good, is a branded OEM case. It’s got more than enough for all the accessories, the IEM, and even a USB-C adapter.

Summary
    The H3 is an absolutely wonderful IEM from one of the companies who I’d least expect. If you are looking for detail, well-tuned sound, exceptional ergonomics, and durable-detachable cables, the H3 is definitely worth looking at. Good job Kinera, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.
  4. HiFiChris
    "Kinera H3: A very interesting & decent Newcomer"
    Pros - good imaging, SQ matches the price, w-shape -> no bog-standard tonality, superb build quality on CIEM-/CUIEM-level (if consistent QC), removable cables (2-pin)
    Cons - (potential QC inconsistencies,) soft and slow bass response, lipless nozzle, 6 kHz treble emphasis might not please everybody
    Preamble:

Originally posted on my German audio review site, the "Kopfhörer-Lounge", here comes my review of the Kinera H3, an affordable universal fit triple-driver hybrid in-ear that, despite its moderate price, is manufactured the same way CIEMs and customisable UIEMs are created. It features removable cables, too.

Introduction:

If you haven’t heard of the company “Kinera” before, then you are not alone, since before fellow Head-Fi member @Hisoundfi introduced me to them, I hadn’t heard of them either.

Fast forward a few days, Steve from Kinera got in touch with me and asked me whether I would like to review their latest in-ear called H3, a triple-driver hybrid model with a quite typical layout of one dynamic driver for the lows and two Balanced Armatures for the rest of the frequency spectrum. He offered to send me a sample at no cost for me, and all I should do in exchange was to give him my honest opinion on the in-ear that would be used for feedback and further improvements, and to write a just as honest and unbiased English review of it (I also had to agree that they can use my posts, impressions, comments and reviews for their social media platforms).

[​IMG]

I agreed, and so here we are now, with a review of a very beautiful and professional looking hybrid in-ear with ergonomic acrylic shells and removable cables for just around $99.

Some additional information about Kinera: they are a Chinese audio manufacturer and established in 2007. Before making their own earphones, they manufactured micro speakers for military detection. Besides the H3, they currently have the lower-end BD005 hybrid in-ear in their product portfolio that retails for less than $30.

According to their information, they have different distributors around the world and are currently expanding their product line to the >$100 market, and are working on future products at a higher price point and technical level that might feature the ability to tune the sound by changing the crossover by using switches.

They do not have a fully finished international website yet, but are quite active on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kinera2017/

Technical Specifications:

Max Input Power: 10 mW
    Cable Length: 1.2 m
    Wire Material: 6n single crystal copper plating silver
    Plug Material: 3.5 mm gold-plated
    Earphone Connectors: 2-pin (0.78 mm)

About hybrid In-Ears:

As you can already see from the technical specifications and introduction, the Kinera H3 is a little different from most In-Ears produced in the past decade and doesn’t only rely on dynamic or Balanced Armature transducers for sound reproduction, but combines both in one shell.

Most In-Ears use dynamic transducers for audio playback which have the advantage of covering the whole audible spectrum and achieving a strong bass emphasis without much effort. Valuable dynamic drivers are often said to have a more bodied and musical bass that has a more soft impact and decay and lacks of the analytical character that BA transducers are known for. On the downside, in contrast to headphones with other driver principles, dynamic transducers often have a lower resolution.

Higher-priced and especially professional IEMs mostly use Balanced Armature transducers, which usually have got a higher resolution than dynamic drivers, are faster, more precise and have got the better high-level stability, which is important for stage musicians that often require higher than average listening levels. On the downside, it is quite hard to cover the whole audible spectrum with just a single BA transducer and strongly emphasised bass is only possible with multiple or big drivers. Some people also find In-Ears with BA transducers to sound too analytical, clinical or cold (in several active years in a German audio community where I wrote multiple reviews, gave dozens of purchase advice and help, from time to time I heard people that got into BA earphones for the first time using these attributes for describing BA earphones, especially their lower frequencies).

Hybrid IEMs unite the positive aspects of both driver principles and use one dynamic transducer for the lows reproduction and at least one BA driver for covering the midrange and highs, wherefore the often as “musical” described bass character remains and the BA transducers add resolution, speed and precision to the mids and highs (, at least in theory) – and that’s what the Kinera H3 does with its technology. It is addressed to those people who perceive the clinically-fast character of BA transducers as unnatural and prefer body and weight, but want to keep the mids’ and highs’ resolution, nimbleness and precision.

Delivery Content:

Despite still falling rather into the lower budget category, the H3 comes with a delivery content that clearly surpasses what one would expect for around $100:

[​IMG]

The cardboard box has got a magnetic flap.

[​IMG]

Inside, one can find an airplane adapter, 6.3 to 3.5 mm adapter, a spacious carrying case and last but not least a warranty card as well as manual.

[​IMG]

Inside the Kinera-branded carrying case, one can find the in-ears, already with the cable attached and a Kinera-branded cable tie, as well as three pairs of Sony-like silicone tips.

Looks, Feels, Build Quality:

That the H3 retails for only around $100 is definitely not obvious in any way – its shells are actually extremely similar to those of universal demo models of custom-moulded in-ears or customisable universal fit in-ears, featuring a black, real faceplate with a golden Kinera logo that is perfectly attached to the acrylic body, without any visible seam or edge.

The bodies are made of transparent red acrylic and look really nice (other colours such as blue and black are available as well). Inside, one can see a real crossover, the dynamic driver and two balanced Armatures as well as the sound tubes with an acoustic damper being visible in the tube coming from the two BA drivers.

The dynamic driver is rear-vented, however the placement of the vent is rather cleverly done on the shells’ upper side wherefore it shouldn’t be blocked as much by the ear as if it were in a different spot (blocking the vent by the way results in a decrease in bass quantity, as it could also be expected for a back vent, along with a slight increase in lower midrange quantity).

[​IMG]

The Kinera H3 really is a perfectly built acrylic in-ear with a highly ergonomic, semi-custom-IEM-like shell design, and is on par with excellently built, much higher-priced customisable universal fit and custom-moulded in-ears. This is definitely applause-worthy, and given what it takes to manufacture these shells (they are hand-made and hand-finished after all), it even makes me somewhat speechless that this is possible for such a low price (oh boy, those poor underpaid Chinese workers…).

[​IMG]

The only thing that could be improved is the nozzle that does not have a lip/barb/collar wherefore the ear tips, while they seal just as good as they should, can come off rather easily.

Something also rather special although not as unique anymore as some years ago, is that the H3 also features detachable cables with 2-pin connectors.

The cable has got four single silver conductors that are coated with a clear insulation and twisted. Strain relief is good and the y-splitter is low in profile and features a nice chin-slider.

This cable is also very soft and flexible.

It might carry some moderate plastic smell in the first few days but it mostly fades away after around one week.

[​IMG]

My UERMs’ cable is still a bit more premium in terms of appearance and haptics, however the cable Kinera uses comes very close.

- - -

Update:

On the replacement H3 with blue shells I received (you will learn why somewhat further down this review), build quality was still good, however not as perfect (unlike the red H3 I initially got that was absolutely flawless and perfect in terms of build quality and finish): the logos weren’t 100% mirrored, the left side wasn’t buffed and polished well enough (the surface was ever so slightly hazy above the logo instead of being clear), and the transition from the faceplates to the bodies, while still good, was slightly visible and tactile in some areas.

[​IMG]

So my suggestion to Kinera is to definitely work on the quality control (which might however also mean that there will be a slight price increase). Even though the in-ears are handmade and hand-finished, it is not fair that some people might receive products that feature top-notch build quality only known from perfectly crafted CIEMs, whereas others might get a set of in-ears that is still well-built but not perfect.

Comfort, Isolation:

Due to the ergonomic shell design that is CIEM-oriented, the fit is nothing but excellent, at least for me. People with really small ears might experience some fit issues because the shells are more on the medium size on the scale, however this should not be any problem for everyone with medium and especially large ears.

The ear guides have got a memory shape but do not feature any steel wire inside. While they might look like they are quite tight when not in the ears due to their quite small appearing radius, they are unnoticeable when the H3 is inserted into one’s ears and they automatically adjust their shape to the ears’.

Noise isolation is better than average for in-ears with vented shells. Noise from the outside is blocked out sufficiently well and almost reaches the level of in-ears with closed shells.

My main sources for listening were the Cowon Plenue 2, iBasso DX200 (AMP2 module) and Stoner Acoustics UD125.

The largest included silicone tips were used for listening.

- - -

Frequency response measurements can be found here.

Keep in mind though that I am not using a professional measurement coupler but a Vibro Labs Veritas coupler that was pseudo-calibrated to more or less match an IEC711 coupler’s response with applied diffuse-field compensation that is definitely not perfect at the current state and shows too little level around 3 and 6 kHz. But if you mentally visualise somewhat more level in those areas, the result will be fairly close.

Tonality:

The first H3 I received unfortunately suffered from channel imbalance in the lows due to a faulty dynamic driver (one side was warmer sounding than the other despite almost identical sub-bass levels and perfect channel matching in the mids and highs). The replacement (with blue shells) that arrived a few days later fortunately did not suffer from any imbalance issues at all.

The Kinera H3 sports a w-shaped frequency response – its sub-bass and midbass, midrange and middle as well as upper treble are emphasised.

Compared to an in-ear that stays diffuse-field flat in the bass, such as the Etymotic ER-4S/SR, and compared to 1 kHz, its bass is emphasised by around 8-9 dB.

Doing sine sweeps, I can hear the lows starting to climb around 300 Hz, with the climax being reached at 60 Hz although there is not much less presence between 80 and 120 Hz. The sub-bass does not roll off but keeps the presence.

Since the emphasis mainly concentrates on the sub-bass and midbass (that is a bit warmed up), it does not bleed into the midrange and the H3 doesn’t have a dominant upper bass although it is punchy and undeniably forward.

The midrange is emphasised, quite forward and therefore doesn’t sound recessed at all but has got more of an “in your face” character, not unlike the hybrid DUNU Alpha 1 earbuds or Shure SE425 but with a stronger emphasis compared to the latter, however the Shure is tuned very differently (quite neutral).

Vocal balance and midrange timbre, unlike some other hybrid in-ears in the sub-$100-range, is pretty good and realistic, with an overall fairly uncoloured midrange with just a hint of brightness and air that just very slightly lacks some lower vocal warmth as counterweight.

At 6 kHz, in the middle treble, I can hear an emphasis, along with another, however more broad-banded and weaker one in the upper highs around 8 kHz. The level is quite neutral above that and the extension in the super highs above 10 kHz is good until around 14 kHz.

This guarantees for enough countervailing brightness to keep the balance upright due to the bass and midrange emphasis, however since the first emphasis is set rather low with around 6 kHz, cymbals gain some raw and metallic touch, that, while not too unnatural or distracting, can get a bit too energetic with more complex and faster-paced tracks with a lot of treble action while everything is fine with slower recordings and genres as well as those tracks that are not super energetic when it comes to cymbal play. Except for the 6 kHz elevation that can definitely be a bit too metallic and strong with songs that feature an energetic and fast cymbal play, the highs appear realistic and natural.

Having the emphasis happen between 8 and 10 kHz instead of 6 and 8 kHz would have made the cymbals lose their metallic touch with more energetic recordings, but then again the H3 is a sub-$100 hybrid in-ear and there are other examples that are less even and less realistic in the highs.

Resolution:

Overall, the resolution is neither outstandingly good nor in any way really underwhelming and bad – it is average and about what you would expect to get for the price.

Speech intelligibility is really good, with the upper mids being less well defined and separated with busier recordings compared to the upper treble that is very convincing and definitely better than what the price might suggest when it comes to separation, definition and detail retrieval (I assume that the crossover frequency is around or above 3 kHz).

[​IMG]

The dynamic driver’s bass has got a quite nice texture that, while it doesn’t reach the level of the much more expensive HiFiMan RE2000 at all and doesn’t even come any close, is still nice and appears rather nicely layered.

However, the Kinera’s bass is generally more on the slower, softer, somewhat muddier and less detailed side, especially when comparing it to higher-end hybrid in-ears. While this might even be desired by some people (I’m referring to the softness and the “body” that it might add to the sound perception) and is not a very big deal for a hybrid in-ear in this price range, the bass could definitely be better defined and tighter with medium-paced and especially fast recordings.

Soundstage:

The Kinera H3 has got a rather wide soundstage with a really decent amount of depth (with about 70% of its width), creating a nice illusion of space and three-dimensionality.

Imaging is fairly convincing as well and only suffers from slightly blurred edges due to the soft bass response. Directions are easy to spot nonetheless.

Playing more complex and faster recordings with many musicians and tonal elements playing at the same time, the soundstage does not collapse but remains fairly intact with just somewhat more blurriness between the instruments due to the bass response.

---------

In Comparison with other In-Ears:

iBasso IT03 (>>$):

The Kinera’s shells appear more premium because they are hand-made like it is done for CIEMs, and the cable is more flexible as well (both in-ears have got removable cables), however the iBasso might have the benefit of better build quality consistency and quality control.

Both in-ears are ergonomically shaped and very comfortable.

Both have got about the same amount of sub-bass and an overall quite comparable bass emphasis that stays nicely out of the midrange, while the H3 has got the slightly warmer midbass.

The H3 has got the more forward vocal range while the iBasso’s is slightly brighter.

The Kinera is somewhat brighter in the upper treble.

The iBasso’s bass that is much tighter, better controlled and detailed – it is one of the tightest and fastest hybrid in-ears that exists anyway, despite the emphasis in the sub-bass. This is no competition at all.

There is no large difference in perceived midrange details but the iBasso appears more resolving here as well, while it has also got the somewhat better separated and more detailed upper treble in comparison.

When it comes to soundstage, the Kinera’s is somewhat wider and especially deeper, however the iBasso’s features the sharper and more precise separation and no haze between and around instruments (mainly due to the much tighter and faster bass).

Fidue A73 (>$):

The Kinera has got removable cables, the Fidue hasn’t. Both in-ears are supposed to be worn with the cables around the ears. The Fidue has got the smaller shells but both in-ears are very comfortable.

The Kinera’s shells appear more premium because they are hand-made the same way as it is done for CIEMs and customisable UIEMs, however the A73 might have the advantage of a better build quality consistency.

The Fidue’s bass is less emphasised but thicker in the fundamental range/lower midrange, giving deep voices and instruments in this range more body.

The Kinera has got the somewhat more forward midrange.

The Fidue is brighter in the upper treble around 8 kHz that some people might perceive as somewhat sharp but features a dip in the middle treble (and therefore also lacks the Kinera’s 6 kHz elevation) that generates headroom for it.

Fidue’s A73 stays better focussed with fast and complex recordings and also features the somewhat better midrange resolution. In the upper highs however, it is the H3 that resolves better and has got the slightly better separation.

The Fidue is also rather soft in the bass – however, it is better controlled and especially more detailed, better textured and noticeably better defined compared to the Kinera’s, especially when playing more complex and faster recordings.

The Kinera’s soundstage is larger and airier with more room around and between instruments, while separation is comparable.

1More E1001 (<$):

The Kinera has got removable cables whereas the 1More does not. The H3 has got the superior cable as well.

In terms of housing design, both are utterly different with the handmade Kinera representing the classical CIEM demo shape while the E1001 has got more traditional shells.

The 1More is more v-shaped sounding, with a noticeably stronger sub-bass emphasis and the audibly more recessed seeming vocal range.

The Kinera features the higher resolution in the midrange, especially lower midrange, along with better speech intelligibility while treble separation and detail retrieval are quite comparable.

When it comes to the bass, both in-ears aren’t fully convincing and lack tightness, control, speed and definition while the 1More is ultimately slightly tighter and faster in the lows but appears more one-noted and doesn’t fully reach the Kinera’s separation, definition, layering, texture and details in the lower frequencies.

In terms of soundstage, both feature a fairly wide presentation while the H3 has even got a bit more spatial width. The Kinera however offers more spatial depth and therefore sounds more three-dimensional, along with the cleaner separation and somewhat more precise imaging.

Conclusion:

What makes the Kinera H3 stand out from the crowd in the $100 price range is that it has got removable cables, and especially that it is handmade and hand-finished in the same way as custom-moulded in-ears are. A lip on the nozzle would not hurt though.

Craftsmanship and build quality are outstanding for the price and can be on the same level as well-crafted, much more expensive custom-moulded and customised universal fit in-ears (however this is potentially not true for all delivered units as the finish on the blue replacement set I received shows – Kinera should definitely improve in the quality control department to make sure that every in-ear that was built is identically superbly finished).

[​IMG]

Tonally, it has got a w-shaped sound signature that is rather well-made but could use a bit less 6 kHz elevation, however this is not a too big deal for the price.

Detail retrieval is just as you would expect it to be for the price category. The H3 has got a nicely resolving midrange and well-separated upper treble along with a pretty open sounding soundstage, however its bass should and could benefit from more speed, tightness, control and definition.

Overall, the presentation is fairly nice for the price with a generally matching sonic performance and a unique level of build quality and features one would not expect to get for around $100.
    voxie and jeffhawke like this.
  5. ryanjsoo
    "Kinera H3 Review – Sensation(al)"
    Pros - End to end extension, Bass definition, Natural yet clear midrange, Great ergonomics and isolation, Fantastic cable
    Cons - Larger size may not suit everyone, Some cosmetic QC issues, Separation could do with some work, Thinner treble
    Introduction –

Kinera is yet another up and coming Chi-Fi manufacturer who, until now, have yet to really produce a runaway hit. To my knowledge, they have only one in-ear under their belt, the BD005, which was well received amongst a small group of enthusiasts but failed to really capture the iem market like other in-ears from TFZ, Magaosi/Audbos and even Simgot. So it came as a surprise when their newest earphone, the H3, blew up on social media. With an immensely prospective triple hybrid driver setup combined with a very reasonable $100 USD asking price, the H3 almost instantly became one of the most talked about, sought after earphones on the net.

Though I’m not one to be swayed by common perceptions, after all, budget hybrid earphones are nothing we haven’t seen before from manufacturers like 1More, Xiaomi and Magaosi. And in many ways, the H3’s reception very much reflected that of the K3 Pro with early impressions comparing them favourably to more expensive models and the same amount of ecstatic excitement orbiting every teaser post on social media. With that said, let’s see how good the H3 really is.

Disclaimer –

I would like to thank Steve from Kinera Audio very much for his quick communication and for providing me with the H3 for the purpose of review. All words are my own and there is no monetary incentive for a positive review. Despite receiving the earphones free of cost, I will attempt to be as objective as possible in my evaluation.

About Me, Background, Gear of choice, Preferences and Biases –

I generally prefer a u-shaped sound that is close to neutral. I like a lot of detail and clarity but can appreciate a smooth, laid back sound. I’m not particularly treble sensitive so I may be more forgiving of brightness over darkness. I will note if I use a different eartip/pad/cover during the review and describe the sound changes.

Accessories –

[​IMG]

While they aren’t quite as lavishly packaged as the K3 HD and Simgotearphones, the H3 nonetheless has a much nicer unboxing than most Chi-fi earphones. They come packaged within a textured hard box with gold print denoting the brand and model. The box magnetically latches open to reveal the hard case, flight adapter and ¼” adapter within foam.

[​IMG]

The case is on the larger side and is similar to units included with Shozy products, it is protective and adequately stores the earphones and accessories in addition to a small DAP though portability is not ideal.

[​IMG]

Inside the case is the H3 and 3 pairs of Sony hybrid style ear tips. The tips are very comfortable and mimic the superb fit and seal offered by the authentic Sony’s. While a few of them had offset stems, I didn’t find this to noticeably affect fit and they are otherwise well moulded. I’m a huge fan of the Sony Hybrid tips and unsurprisingly, Kinera’s imitation tips provided much the same experience with comfort and seal.

Design –

The H3 is an intriguing earphone with a custom style housing that reminds me of Ibasso’s IT03 albeit appreciably more compact. They assume an over-ear fit and achieve impressive comfort and solidity despite their unorthodox housing design and entirely acrylic construction. At present, Kinera provide the H3 in red, black and blue, all with the same black faceplate.

[​IMG]

Despite being entirely constructed from plastic, the H3’s feel very solid, rigid and well-weighted in the hand whilst remaining forgiving on the ear. Their semi translucent housings add a lot of visual intrigue to their funky design and their gloss black faceplates adorned with golden Kinera logos are both classy and eye catching. Kinera is using a two-layer process to achieve a uniquely smooth look on the faceplates. Unfortunately, my set was riddled with small bubbles and even a notably large one on the tip of the left earpiece out of the box. Perhaps there was some issue with the lamination since my unit is a pre-production review sample and the earphones are otherwise flawless with no seams of joining issues, I am also able to press the clear coat back onto the underlying paint though it only holds temporarily.

[​IMG]

And in terms of fit, don’t let their larger dimensions and strange protrusions deter you, the H3 provides a very solid, stable fit that is easily one of the best I’ve experienced around this price. The earphones slot into the ear with authority and lock firmly into place, staying put when running. Furthermore, they do so without any sense of discomfort like the iBasso IT03, providing great if not perfect comfort over long listening sessions. Buyers also shouldn’t worry too much about public appearance, due to their medium depth fit, the earphones don’t protrude too much and look quite subtle when worn with only the black faceplate visible to onlookers.

[​IMG]

The nozzle itself is perfectly angled though it has no fluting or ridging so eartips can be prone to falling off. It is of a common size, fitting T200 Comply foam tips in addition to CP100 Spinfits and Sony Hybrids which is great for those that can’t find a solid seal with the included tips (though they are almost identical to Hybrids). The tips is finished off with a nice metal filter that prevents earwax and debris from entering the housings.

[​IMG]

The H3’s are vented though very minimally so and they produce as strong a seal as the fully sealed TFZ King. Some driver flex is present though I didn’t notice any audio degradation over time. Isolation isn’t as flawless as the fully sealed King but remains immediately superior to more open hybrid designs like the K3 Pro and I had no issue using the H3’s on public transport. That being said, one thing Kinera could consider in a predecessor, is relocating the vent on the tops of the earphones to another location. I found that the left vent was covered by my ear while the right vent was left open, simply due to the shape of my ear. However, this produced a different amount of isolation in either ear, creating an uncomfortable sensation and finding the right was a bit more finicky than necessary.

[​IMG]

Fortunately, the H3’s come with a fabulous 0.78mm removable cable system that is perhaps not as widely adopted as MMCX but is more reliable and less temperamental. The cable itself is of terrific quality, it’s a 6N silver plated copper design with a nice braid and super soft texture. The cable is supple, easily coiling for storage and quickly untangles when removed from a pocket/case. In addition, the pre-formed ear guides were perfectly shaped for my ears unlike the TFZ Exclusive series, Magaosi K3 earphones and Simgot EN700 Bass, producing superior stability, comfort and practicality. The cable also resists microphonic noise when walking and its smoother texture avoids catching on clothing. This is topped off with a low-profile y-split that avoids severing the cable to enhance durability and a case friendly Oyaide style plug with ample strain relief.

[​IMG]

The H3, despite some small quality control issues with my unit, nonetheless delivers some of the best ergonomics I’ve experienced around this price. They have a solid but lightweight build that is stable in the ear, great passive noise isolation, a strong, reliable seal and pleasing comfort. Moreover, their excellent cable really enhances usability and their classy look provides a splash of colour without coming off as even remotely gaudy.

Sound –

The H3 combines a single dynamic driver with two balanced armatures of unspecified size and model creating a very convincing hybrid setup that easily rivals the Magaosi K3 Pro and 1More Triple Driver. While I was immensely excited to crack the H3 open and give them a thorough listen upon receival, I was at the time committed to my review of the Magaosi K3 HD, a similarly priced earphone that utilizes a similar hybrid driver setup. But even coming from the more expensive K3 HD, the Kinera H3 immediately impressed me with their excellent detailing, natural midrange and bass performance that far outstripped the competition. The H3 is not the flagship killer than many have put it out to be, but it is a fantastically well-tuned earphone nonetheless and one that many buyers in the market for a sub $100 earphone can strongly consider.

Tonality –

The H3 is a v-shaped earphone with an emphasis on sub and deep-bass and lower treble. And though they carry a slightly brighter sound with less present lower midrange elements, they lack the immediate sense of brightness created by the TFZ King. They are a slightly more aggressive earphone that lies closest to the TFZ King in tuning from the earphones around this price that I’ve tested, though their more even midrange grants them with an appreciably more balanced sound on a whole and they never came off as mid-forward or mid-recessed to my ear.

Drivability –

The H3 is a relatively easy earphone to drive with a higher 101dB sensitivity that makes them just a little less efficient than the TFZ King. Unfortunately, this also means they pick up the same amount of hiss from most sources though noise is hardly as noticeable as something like the Campfire Jupiter. Moreover, with a 48ohm impedance, the earphones aren’t as sensitive to output impedance as the majority of hybrid earphones nor are they excessively power hungry, making them a nice daily in-ear that works perfectly with portable sources. From my HTC 10, the H3 sounded very nice with no hiss and a very similar tonality to my sub-1ohm Oppo HA-2. My 10 and iPod Touch also provided more than enough volume, I typically stuck to 1-3/16 volume levels, leaving plenty of overhead for louder volume listeners. And despite that higher impedance, the H3’s didn’t find a huge benefit from amplification though they did scale nicely when plugged into my HA-2, Mojo or X7 with notably improved bass resolution in particular. The H3 is well designed to maximise their sound quality from portable sources with enough technical ability to take advantage of dedicated DAC/AMPs.

Soundstage, Imaging and Separation –

The H3’s soundstage is one of the weaker aspects of their sound though it is good enough to avoid holding the rest of the sound back. The H3 doesn’t have the most spacious presentation, the K3 HD, King and EN700 Bass all sound immediately wider than the H3 though the Kinera hardly suffers from congestion. They have a wider presentation, width sits on the periphery of that out of the head sensation but rarely extends much beyond. Depth is similarly intimate to the K3 HD, which is enough to convincingly portray live recordings but still lacks the immersion of higher priced in-ears like the 1More Quad Driver. Imaging is good, not great and instruments have accurate placement even if they can’t always be pinpointed; the King does quite a bit better in this regard. The H3 also has some issues with separation, again, they never sound congested, but mids aren’t quite as layered as the King and highs sound more integrated but intimate than the K3 HD.

Bass –

The first thing I noticed was the H3’s exceptional bass reproduction that seemed all too developed for an earphone costing just $99 USD. I do feel like that statement requires some context, the H3’s still don’t possess the slam and definition of the Flares Pros or New Primacy’s for instance but, when compared to the rather uninspiring competition, the H3 is easily one of the best. This begins with their fantastic sub-bass extension that matches the class-leading Basic, slightly edges out the TFZ King and provides a substantial leap over the EN700 Bass and Magaosi earphones. Tuning is also very well considered, bass has slight emphasis throughout and while bass is linear, sub and deep bass are their driving force. Quantity wise, they are closer to the King than the warmer K3 HD though low notes have great depth augmented by a nice sense of power and weight. They also lack the bloat of the Simgot’s and Magaosi’s in addition to the muddiness of the Basics by nature of their tuning. The H3 is also appreciably more textured and defined than the King, bass on the H3 is taught and easily the most balanced and linear of all the aforementioned earphones.

When listening to Earth, Wind & Fire’s “In the Stone”, the H3 easily provided my favourite rendition among these earphones with a tight, snappy sub-bass rhythm accompanied by full yet textured mid-bass and a slightly warmer upper-bass response that avoided midrange spillage. By contrast, the slower K3 earphones and Simgots struggled to extract texture from the rapid bass line while the King’s slightly muddier response and mid-bass dip (relative to the H3), sapped them off some bass detail. The H3 still isn’t the fastest earphone I’ve heard, far from it, even the King has slightly better transience partly due to their leaner response and generally well-tuned driver. That being said, they very skillfully combine the fuller tuning offered by many earphones around this price with the technical strengths of TFZ’s budget masterpiece. Of course, buyers need to consider that the K3 still doesn’t compete with hybrid earphones like the $300 New Primacy or the $1000 AKG K3003 nor do they come close to the single dynamic driver ie800 and Flares Pro; those earphones are tighter, more detailed and more textured. But considering that those earphones also cost magnitudes more, the H3 is truly a mastery of both tuning and quality, they are a rarity at this price.

Midrange –

The H3’s continue their tirade of superiority into their midrange which is similarly very well considered for their asking price. Some added clarity imbues subtle immediacy to midrange elements without sounding thin, raspy or unnatural as some clarity orientated earphones around this price tend to. The H3 is also quite balanced through their midrange with just a slightly brighter tuning that is immediately clearer than the Simgot EN700 Bass, more balanced than the V-shaped K3 earphones and more even than the mid-forward King. Male vocals are very well done, full-bodied and clear if not quite as clean sounding as the TFZ King. Simply Red’s “Stars” sounded raw and vibrant, yet not artificially so while Ed Sheeran’s “Castle on the Hill” was flattered with full yet defined vocals. Upper mids are similarly flattered which is rare given that most budget earphones struggle a bit with female vocals. The H3 once again impresses with its well-refined tones, vocals never come off as fatiguing, strident or over-forward and guitars are sublime with excellent detail retrieval that matches and occasionally outdoes the K3 HD. And while the H3 is slightly more aggressive in its presentation, female vocals are smooth and well-bodied as are strings, trumpets and wind instruments.

In terms of outright resolution, layering and clarity, no earphone around this price I’ve heard notably bests the TFZ King though the H3 comes remarkably close. In addition, the H3 takes a step back on clarity in favour of a little more midrange body, lacking the sligthly off voicing of the King. They also sounded more “correct” to my ear when switching from the Magaosi K3 HD and when switching from more expensive in-ears such as the $599 64Audio U3 and $800 Campfire Jupiter. Usually, direct comparison to these in-ears really reveals the flaws in a budget earphone’s tuning but the H3 had no outstanding tonal deviations even if quality and refinement weren’t competitive. The H3 was also surprisingly consistent and forgiving of different mastering styles; whether I was listening to the brighter tones of the pop charts or the mellower mastering of classical and jazz, the H3 provided a revolving, natural and perfectly bodied response. As for the downsides, the H3 doesn’t have the greatest midrange layering and separation and they do lack the transparency of higher priced or more neutral offerings like Hifiman’s RE400/600, but they do provide an exceptionally pleasing tonality with gobs of detail and nuance; something that is surprisingly hard to come by and that many manufacturers would like to charge a lot more for.

Highs –

While the H3 greatly impressed me with their detail retrieval and clarity, treble isn’t quite as flawless as the bass and midrange responses with some tonal oddities that compromise refinement and, at times, detail. The H3 is roughly in-between the K3 HD and King in tuning with a slightly more aggressive lower treble response and some extra middle treble granting them with great clarity to treble notes. Listening to David Bowie’s “Everyone Says Hi” and the H3 provided a clarity that was on par with the TFZ King yet one that was similarly a little thin if not quite as splashy. The H3 did sound more tonally pleasing to my ear than the King and due to their more even treble, especially with regards to lower/middle treble, they were also appreciably more detailed. In fact, the H3 has similar detail retrieval to the exemplary K3 HD making them one of the most detailed earphones around this price. In addition, the H3 manages great high-frequency resolution and very good extension that was on par with the K3 HD and King if not immediately superior; high-hats have pleasing texture and cymbals are granted plenty of air, strings sound expansive and the H3 produces some nice shimmer when called for. Moreover, they do so without sounding metallic or harsh, the H3 never came off as fatiguing to me even when listening to brighter tracks.

But where detailing and clarity are all immensely impressive, the H3 does suffer from some treble issues. For instance, cymbals do tend to sound tizzy and very high-frequency details get thinned out and a little truncated despite their extension being quite good. While the H3 isn’t as peaky as the K3 Pro, the K3 HD is a slightly more even treble performer, with similarly impressive detail retrieval on top. The H3 isn’t inherently flawed with regards to high-frequency reproduction but I do have to be critical. And to my ears, the treble tuning on the H3 slots in nicely with the rest of the sound even if they are lacking some body, smoothness and that last element of refinement.

Verdict –

It can be hard reviewing an earphone like this, one that is so thoroughly hyped but so thoroughly dismantles the competition. Because while there is no doubt in my mind that the Kinera H3 is a fabulous earphone, it is still far from a perfect iem and even $200 earphones like the Pinnacle P1 will easily best them in terms of sheer sound quality. But that’s not to say that the H3 is a bad buy because, at just $99, they provide exceptional refinement within their tuning while retaining a truly surprising amount of nuance. The H3 has replaced the TFZ King as my $100 benchmark with that similar technical ability wrapped within a more pleasing, linear tonality and a more stable, compact shell.

[​IMG]

The H3 gets a resounding recommendation for any buyer looking for a u-shaped earphone with great detailing, a clear but natural midrange and a class leading bass response. Of course, bass lovers should still look into the Oriveti Basic and those who prefer a more dynamic tonality can definitely consider the K3 HD, but the H3 provided the nicest balance of elements to my ear. To top it off, they also have a super stable, comfortable fit and an excellent cable that is better than those included on earphones costing several hundred dollars. Their excellent noise isolation and removable cable also make them a practical, durable daily driver and their added stability over the TFZ King makes it the clear choice for any kind of active use.

Verdict – 9.5/10, There is no shortage of readers asking for the best ~$100 earphone on the market and Kinera have done a great thing, they’ve made my job a lot easier, the H3 makes an easy recommendation not only due to their accessible yet highly enjoyable sound but also their featured design and excellent build. And while I do have some qualms with quality control, any issues I experienced didn’t affect listening.

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed my review, please have a look at my blog for more just like it:
  6. yacobx
    "Kinera H3"
    Pros - Fit, Sound Quality, cable, Case
    Cons - Power hungry
    The Kinera H3 is the newest addition to their IEM family. Most of you may know this brand from their entry level IEM the BD005. It was a dual driver, single BA single dynamic. It was popular for its price and the sound quality it achieved at its price point. I have not ever had the chance to listen to it but from reviews I have read – I have an understanding that it comes across bass heavy. Initially, I thought that this would be the same for the H3. I was wrong. It was all by chance that I met their rep named, Steve Tong. Over lengthy conversations on Facebook messenger I began to understand the new direction that Kinera is headed in. The H3 is just the start of their new direction.

Kinera's Facebook

Jake 3 (1 of 1).jpg Jake  (1 of 1).jpg Jake 4 (1 of 1).jpg Jake 1 (1 of 1).jpg Jake 2 (1 of 1).jpg

Let’s talk about the earphone and accessories for a moment. The Kinera H3 comes in a very professional looking box (my opinion is based on the fact that I get lots of ear buds and they come in just a bag most of the time lol). Once you open it up there is their contact info and warranty card. Underneath that is the IEM carrying case and an adaptor for professional use. The H3 is packed safely away in the carrying case. As soon as you open it up you will most likely be amazed by the quality of the cable and earphone. Speaking of the cable – I love the Velcro strap included to keep tidy. Also included is the tip selection that look very similar to the Sony tips but at not the same. The nozzle is smaller on the tips included with the H3. The Sony tips slip right off. The earphone is made of ABS acrylic. Feels very high end and sturdy. Wearing them is the best experience I have had with an IEM to date. For reference, I am comparing this to the Jomo 6r universal when I am talking about fit. The case does a nice job keeping all the tips and earphone protected during travel. That case style has become popular but for good reason.

KINERA H3 2Balanced Armature+1Dynamic Driver Triple Drivers Hybrid Detachable In-ear Earphone ( copied from Penon Audio)

Description

• Max Input Power: 10mW
    • Cable Length: 1.2meter
    • Wire Material: 6n single crystal copper plating silver
    • Plug material: 3.5mm golden plated
    • Earphone interface: 2-pin (0.78mm )
    Package

• Kinera H3
    • 6 pairs of silicone eartips (S/M/L)
    • 2 adapters
    • Carry box

On to the sound, this is where things get interesting. Earlier, I talked about how the IEM was not bass heavy. This is true, I find this IEM to be what some people refer to as flat or balanced. Those words are overused in this hobby… Whatever... it is true. The IEM is power hunger. It is listed as 48 ohms and if you use it on an underpowered source is sounds bright. The H3 also needs burn in time. If you play the H3 on a weak source the dynamic drive takes a back seat and the upper frequencies sound thin. For example, I used my IPhone 7 plus for a couple hours and it was obvious the dynamic driver was struggling. I do not suggest any weak sources. As I write this review I am using the Hifimediy Sabre 9018. It is my favorite go to USB dac for on the go or at work. With a set up like this or better (like a good DAP or DAP AMP combo) the H3 can shine. All the frequencies are present and cooperate with each other well. The Bass is deep and has a natural quality only dynamic drivers can produce. The Mids are coherent and have wonderful separation far beyond what their price tag dictates. The Highs are perfect for me. What I mean by that is that they are right on the edge of being sharp but don’t cross the line. When Kinera included their frequency response graph with the earphone I thought that this earphone was going to be rolled off highs and strong bass. It was not. Don’t be fooled by the graph – all the other reviewers are also talking about the present highs. I looked further into the topic and the graph is actually very similar to a popular Camp Fire audio IEM. It was just the way that they squashed the graph together on the high end that made it look that way. The Soundstage is a good mix of intimate and has enough width to fill the head space. Personally I prefer intimate earphones over super wide. With that being said I am a happy camper. IMG_5818.JPG

( I have tried many tips and settled on Spinfit CP 100 mediums for my favorite )

Overall, this is an exciting step for this company as they head in a new direction. I have been privy to what things are to come and let me be first to say – keep an eye on these guys as they are on a mission to give the people what they want. Good quality for a good price.

Disclaimer – I received these IEM’s for free for my opinions. Please ask me any questions you have.
    jeffhawke likes this.
  7. audio123
    "Kinera H3 - Triple Hybrid Delight!"
    Pros - Treble Extension, Soundstage Width & Transparent Mids
    Cons - More Sub-Bass Extension
    Introduction
    Kinera produced their first iem in BD005 which is a 1 Balanced Armature + 1 Dynamic design. I get to know the existence of BD005 through E-earphone and I started to follow the brand as they look good. When Kinera started asking for reviewers to help them review their Kinera H3 which is their new product in a standard triple hybrid configuration – 2 Balanced Armature & 1 Dynamic, I decided to take up the opportunity. I would like to thank Kinera for this review unit and I will give my judgement on the H3. So far as of now, you can purchase the Kinera H3 through https://penonaudio.com/KINERA-H3 . The H3 will be available in 3 different colours – Blue, Black & Red. For more information on Kinera, you can check https://www.facebook.com/kinera2017/

upload_2017-7-20_22-23-31.png

• Max Input Power: 10mW
    • Cable Length: 1.2meter
    • Wire Material: 6n single crystal silver plated copper
    • Plug material: 3.5mm golden plated
    • Earphone interface: 2-pin (0.78mm)

Unboxing & Accessories
    The Kinera H3 comes in a black rectangular box sporting a golden Kinera logo on the surface. Inside the box, you get a 6.3mm to 3.5mm golden plated adapter, airplane adapter, user manual, appreciation card and a black storage case which contains a pack of eartips (S, M, L) & the Kinera H3.

The adapters are quite useful for different purposes – travelling and home usage. User manual gives a detailed explanation on how to use the Kinera H3. I like the concept of providing an appreciation card in the package which is a nice gesture as it gives a premium feel to the user. The eartips provided are silicone and they reminded me of the Sony Hybrid Silicone eartips.

The black storage case has a black Kinera logo on it and it is rectangular. The exterior of the case is smooth and semi-hard. The case has a black colour zipper. Unzipping the case is quite smooth as the zipper does not get stuck in the process of unzipping. I have to point this out as I had bad experiences with some cases in which there is too much resistance in unzipping it. Inside the case, the interior is made of a fleece-like material. One side of the case has a cloth mesh which is used to function as a separate compartment to put accessories such as the adapters and eartips. In my case, I put either another iem or an upgrade cable. This type of case has been one of my favourites due to the size and the soft texture.

upload_2017-7-20_22-25-53.png
    upload_2017-7-20_22-26-1.png
    upload_2017-7-20_22-26-7.png
    upload_2017-7-20_22-26-17.png

IEM Build & Design
    The Kinera H3 that I am reviewing is in red colour. I expect the build quality to be the same for other colours too. The H3 has a glossy black faceplate with a gold Kinera logo on it. The combination of black and gold synergises with one another well and I am a big fan of the aesthetics. The shell is a dark translucent red and you can still see through to observe the drivers. The dynamic driver is pretty noticeable since it is the biggest in size. It utilises 2-pin 0.78mm flushed socket for the detachable cables. Moving on to the design, it is akin to a custom iem shell but in a universal form, just like the iBasso IT03. In my opinion, the shell is quite perfect for my ears but this can be subjective as we have different ears, thus we will have different fittings of it. The nozzle is straight and I am able to use SpinFit tips with it. I tried with other tips from Acoustune, JVC or Sony and it yields a good result as it can fit. The nozzle has a metal mesh too which is used to block earwax from going into the interior of the iem.
    upload_2017-7-20_22-28-42.png
    upload_2017-7-20_22-27-2.png
    upload_2017-7-20_22-27-6.png
    upload_2017-7-20_22-27-13.png

Cable Build & Design
    The cable is not your usual stock cable. It seems to be an upgrade over the normal stock cable for detachable iems. As stated in the specifications, the material of the cable is made of 6N single crystal silver plated copper. Let start off from top to down. At the 2-pin connector, you will see a marking of different colours on each respectively. Red colour will indicate the right side while blue colour will indicate the left side. It is a nice touch so users can differentiate between left & right. There is a memory wire area whereby the cable is being enclosed in a transparent heat-shrink tube. It is very flexible and different from the usual stiff memory cable. The cable is braided with 4 wire conductors. There is a translucent y-splitter. The jack is 3.5mm gold plated and has a silver housing with grip.

upload_2017-7-20_22-29-29.png
    upload_2017-7-20_22-29-33.png
    upload_2017-7-20_22-29-49.png

Sound Analysis
    Lows

The H3 has a sub-bass extension that goes rather deeply with a nice rumble. The mid-bass is not very authoritative. It is controlled and smooth. The bass has an above average decay and the bass note packs a punch to it. I find it very controlled for a dynamic driver. The bass does not hit hard at all and instead it helps to add some body to ease the transition into the midrange so the lower mids will not be lean. I was on low gain initially but after changing to high gain on my DAP, the bass becomes more tight and clean. It gives a kick to the bass as it is being expressed with more authority. Either low or high gain, I still find the bass rather pleasing and there is no shortage in the quality and quantity.
    Mids
    The midrange is slightly recessed. The lower mids have a nice body to it that suits male vocals particularly well. The mids are slightly bright due to the detailed upper mids. Midrange is very transparent and crystal clear without sacrificing on any aspects of the midrange. It packs details and does not sound analytical at all. Instead, it is very lively and natural. There is a good balance between technicality and musicality.
    Highs
    The treble has great clarity to it and most important is that there is no sibilance even with SpinFit tips. It is extended well without any graininess. The crisp gives the treble a nice bite that adds a dynamic punch to your music. In my opinion, the treble can do well with more body so it will be a fuller performance. Other than that, I feel it has an appropriate amount of air, extension and clarity.
    Soundstage
    The H3 has a wide soundstage which is above average. It gives a 3D feel and encapsulates the listener in the process. The depth of it is decent enough to give some intimacy. With its width, it enhances the overall imaging and provides a fuller sound.

Comparisons
    I use the Ibasso DX200 to compare the iems.

Kinera H3 vs iBasso IT03 with Stock Cable
    The H3 has less sub-bass quantity and extension than the IT03. The mid-bass on both iems are approximately the same with H3 slightly ahead due to its more dynamic punch. Overall, IT03 bass is much tighter with a faster decay. I would say H3 has a thicker bass note than IT03 so it makes IT03 seem very clinical and precise when comparing both of them. The lower mids on both are very similar. I would choose the H3 for the midrange as the upper mids is not as shouty as IT03. H3’s upper mids are much more smooth and crisp. IT03 has better extended treble and provides more sparkle than the H3. Soundstage on both has similar width but H3 has more depth, thus it is able to provide more intimacy for vocals.

Kinera H3 vs Fidue A83
    The H3’s sub-bass does not extend as deep as A83 and has less quantity too. The mid-bass of A83 is more controlled and reserved than the H3. H3’s bass is more detailed and clinical than the A83. The decay of H3 is quicker due to the bass note on the A83 having more weight. This does not mean the A83 bass is sluggish, it just cannot keeps up with the H3. The lower mids on both are approximately the same. The upper mids on H3 is more forward than A83. There is a slight grain to A83 in comparison to the H3. H3 has slightly more airiness than A83. The sparkle on both are quite close. A83 has a deeper soundstage while H3 has a wider soundstage. Instruments positioning is better on the H3.

Kinera H3 vs FLC8S (Red-Grey-Gold)
    The H3 sub-bass extension is not as deep as FLC8S but it has more quantity. The H3’s mid-bass has more slam to it and enhances the dynamics. Lower mids on the FLC8S are thinner than H3 and male vocals sound grainy. The upper mids of FLC8S is more articulate and smoother than the H3. There is more crisp to it as such. FLC8S treble is more extended and with the air and sparkle it boasts, the H3 is unable to keep up with it. FLC8S has a slightly wider soundstage and both shares similar depth.

Kinera H3 vs Oriolus Forsteni
    The sub-bass extension on both are around the same but Forsteni has more crisp to it. The Forsteni has a much clearer bass definition. Mid-bass of Forsteni provides more thump to the music. The lower mids on both are on the thin side. The upper mids of H3 has more definition to it and there is less grain. It is more pleasing to hear the H3. The treble of Forsteni is extended better with more air but it is shouty in comparison to the H3 which gives one a more intimate feel. Both has similar width on soundstage and H3 has a more depth.

Kinera H3 vs Campfire Audio Dorado
    The sub-bass of H3 is less extended than the Dorado. Dorado has better bass definition and there is more quantity. The mid-bass of H3 has a sweeter punch to it. Lower mids of Dorado is thicker than the H3. Upper mids of H3 is presented more clinically than the laidback Dorado. Dorado has more air and sparkle in its treble department which makes the mids more recessed than H3. Dorado has the advantage in soundstage for both width and depth.

upload_2017-7-20_22-32-51.png
    upload_2017-7-20_22-33-0.png
    upload_2017-7-20_22-34-13.png

Conclusion
    I am pretty impressed by the H3 after being exposed to many top performing triple hybrids in the market already. The H3 has a very controlled bass and sweet upper mids. The bass quantity may not be for bassheads but I feel at its price point, the bass definition is excellent. Whether you want to listen to male or female vocals, the H3 does them justice. I am delighted to be able to listen to the Kinera H3.

upload_2017-7-20_22-33-8.png