Astell&Kern AK70 MK II and Michelle Limited IEM coming in October
Sep 20, 2017 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73
Astell&Kern will have three new products make their official US debut at CanJam RMAF 2017. The new dual-DAC AK70 MK II, Michelle Limited IEM and AK CD-Ripper MK II will be available in October 2017.

AK70 MK II

AK70_MK__09_large.jpg

The AK70 MKⅡ Is The First Dual DAC Astell&Kern Player Available for Under $1,000.

The Astell&Kern AK70 MKⅡ will be available in October 2017 for $699.

The Astell&Kern AK70 MKⅡ features two major upgrades from its sibling, the AK70. The new AK70 MKⅡ is a dual DAC player, featuring two Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC chipset, one each for the left and right channels. The separate DAC for each independent left and right audio channel produces a wider soundstage and better stereo separation.

The new AK70 MKⅡ features almost twice the power output from the 2.5mm, 4-pole unbalanced output than the AK70. With 4.0Vrms of balanced power output, the AK70 MK II can drive any headphone on the market today with ease, even the most inefficient headphones being used today.

In addition to 3.5mm unbalanced and 2.5mm, 4-pole balanced headphone outputs, the AK70 MKⅡ also features digital out via USB. The AK70 MKⅡ supports native DSD output via USB through DoP (DSD over PCM) and converts DSD to PCM for output to external USB Audio devices that do not support DoP. This allows users a range of options to connect their own favorite external DAC.

Other features of the Astell&Kern AK70 MKⅡ include:

• Dual Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC Chipsets (CS42398 x 2)
  • Supports high-resolution audio up to 32-bit/384kHz PCM (downconverted to 24bit/192kHz PCM) and up to double-rate, 5.6MHz DSD (converted to PCM)
  • 64GB internal flash storage with single microSD card slot for up to 256GB of additional storage memory
  • DLNA 1.0 Compatible
  • Wi-Fi enabled, supports OTA firmware updates and streaming music from other devices on the same network
  • Supports AK Connect app, available for iOS and Android devices
  • USB DAC function – can be connected to a Mac/PC to bypass internal sound card and output hi-res audio
  • CD-Ripper compatible, allowing the user to rip music directly to the player without the need for a computer.
  • TIDAL streaming music service

Michelle Limited In-Ear Monitor

Michelle_Limited_01_1024x1024.jpg

Astell&Kern, along with partner Jerry Harvey Audio, the premier manufacturer of professional, studio quality in-ear monitors, jointly announce a new second generation In Ear Monitor. Called the Michelle Limited, a special edition product produced in Korea and the latest entry-level model in the Jerry Harvey Audio Universal Fit Siren Series.

The Astell&Kern Michelle Limited Universal Fit In-Ear Monitor will be available in October 2017 for $399.

The Michelle Limited features three 3-way balanced armature drivers which boast a much smaller size and amazing efficiency compared to conventional dynamic drivers. The Michelle Limited also features Jerry Harvey Audio’s patented FreqPhase™ technology which adjusts the length and shape of the tube that is connected by a nozzle to each driver, to minimize the phase shift of each frequency and produce a more accurate sound.

Just like its siblings, the Michelle Limited is based on years of proven, patented, professional sound technology from Jerry Harvey Audio who has been making custom IEMs for years.

The Michelle Limited features a detachable, Silver Tinsel Cable with 2-pin connector. The cable is manufactured by first compressing the silver plated copper wire, which is then flattened and rolled into a steady interval that is then used to wrap around the Kevlar. Conventional straight cables do not handle the frequent bending of cables and often short out. The intertwined cable disperses the stress to the cable and offers better resilience.

This newly developed cable has astounding tensile strength and delivers the full dynamic range of music. Two types of cables are provided - a 3.5mm unbalanced and 2.5mm balanced cable.

Also included in the Michelle Limited package are 3 different sized silicon ear tips (S/M/ L) to provide the best in-ear fit, wax tool and a carrying case.

AK CD-Ripper MK II

AK_CD-RIPPER_MK__04_1024x1024.jpg

The AK CD-Ripper MKⅡ will be available in October 2017 for $400.

Since most laptops and computers today do not contain an optical drive, the new AK CD-Ripper MK II is the perfect accessory to simply and easily digitize and add your entire CD collection to your Astell&Kern portable hi-res audio player.

Copying a CD to your Astell&Kern player could not be simpler. Connect the AK CD-Ripper MK II to your player and touch the CD ripping icon to begin. Musical tracks can be saved as FLAC or Wave formats and can be ripped at various speeds. The Wi-Fi connected Astell&Kern player will access Gracenote’s extensive music database and will automatically add all of the metadata such as album title, artist, genre and album art.

The unique design of the CD-Ripper MK II provides for the most accurate, error-free ripping experience. Constructed of machined aluminum, the body of the unit has increased weight to effectively limit vibrations caused by CD spinning. The triangular support damper under the body utilizes a string structure to further manage vibrations from CD rotation to prevent read errors and ensure the most accurate CD rips.

The CD-Ripper MK II is fully compatible with all Wi-Fi enabled Astell&Kern players including the new A&ultima SP1000 and KANN. Both micro-USB and USB-C cables are included.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Sep 20, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 73
I think I'll be purchasing my first A&K DAP & possibly IEM. Arghh! I wouldn't normally say this about JH Audio IEMs, but it looks like the Michelle Limited could be a good value, with the 2 cables & at $100 less than the previous Michelle. The CD ripper looks to be more of a niche item, but I can see the value in it.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #3 of 73
I pre-ordered the CD Ripper Mk2. I have been ripping CDs using my PC laptop with an optical drive in it. I was thinking about potential errors with the flimsy cheap drive.
Actually, one time there was a small but noticeable sound quality difference among the same tracks but ripped at different times.

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #6 of 73
Does the CD ripper only work with their DAPs? Or would it work with Mac/Windows?

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 73
I have been ripping CDs using my PC laptop with an optical drive in it. I was thinking about potential errors with the flimsy cheap drive.
Actually, one time there was a small but noticeable sound quality difference among the same tracks but ripped at different times.

Use Exact Audio Copy, in 'Secure' mode. Problem 99.9% solved.

That aside, I'm pleased to see iRiver pursuing the substantially-sub-$1000 market with the AK70 Mkii.

Sep 20, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #10 of 73
Sep 20, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 73
Hello Jason, regarding the balanced output on the MkII:
The background on my AK70 is dead silence even with my most sensitive items. Being a much powerful balanced output on the MKII, will it change the background quality?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back