Audeze LCD-MX4
Oct 20, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #61 of 907
Has anyone ordered an lcd-mx4? I am tempted to because it looks great but am hesitant given the $3000 price. Initial impressions from rmaf seem good but of course auditioning an open headphones in that environment isn't ideal.

At that level you should audition it vs blind buy. IMO if you were shopping for Audeze LCD-??? even up to an LCD-4, the MX4 will be satisfying. Like you said show conditions and noisy so caveat. I was most interested in the LCDi4 and the LCD-4 when I first stopped by. Both are amazing. The next time I stopped by I heard the MX4 out of the Chord and I thought it may well be on the level of the LCD-4. The 4 was plugged into the King amp and also sounded great. I think the track selection was diff between the units so I couldn't really A/B. then I tried to plug the 4 in to the Chord, tried to ballpark level match but that's rough at best. I felt like the MX4 was punchier/snappier and maybe that was cause it was easier to drive. Overall soundwise I thought it was close or near the level of the 4. Add in that it's lighter weight, easier to drive.

Someone who is better to articulate/review/compare under private room quiet conditions is better than me to try and make a review. But I think the MX4 is a winner. Even if you lose a little bit in resolving power I thought it has as much bass etc, plus it's $1k cheaper. If I was trying to decide right now based on what I heard I would chose the MX4 unless maybe for some reason I'm set on carbon fiber headband and wood accents (I'm not). I'm sure someone will come along and review them side by side and declare the LCD-4 the winner. And even if that ended up being true some of the benefits and good-enough that the MX4 brings would still probably make it the winner for me.

Oct 23, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #63 of 907
At that level you should audition it vs blind buy. IMO if you were shopping for Audeze LCD-??? even up to an LCD-4, the MX4 will be satisfying. Like you said show conditions and noisy so caveat. I was most interested in the LCDi4 and the LCD-4 when I first stopped by. Both are amazing. The next time I stopped by I heard the MX4 out of the Chord and I thought it may well be on the level of the LCD-4. The 4 was plugged into the King amp and also sounded great. I think the track selection was diff between the units so I couldn't really A/B. then I tried to plug the 4 in to the Chord, tried to ballpark level match but that's rough at best. I felt like the MX4 was punchier/snappier and maybe that was cause it was easier to drive. Overall soundwise I thought it was close or near the level of the 4. Add in that it's lighter weight, easier to drive.

Someone who is better to articulate/review/compare under private room quiet conditions is better than me to try and make a review. But I think the MX4 is a winner. Even if you lose a little bit in resolving power I thought it has as much bass etc, plus it's $1k cheaper. If I was trying to decide right now based on what I heard I would chose the MX4 unless maybe for some reason I'm set on carbon fiber headband and wood accents (I'm not). I'm sure someone will come along and review them side by side and declare the LCD-4 the winner. And even if that ended up being true some of the benefits and good-enough that the MX4 brings would still probably make it the winner for me.
CanJam or meets I always kinda treat like a nice place to get a taste on a lot gear but then to get a full experience to go visit a dealer to get a listen in environment close to your home environment. I kinda fell in love with the MX4 at RMAF and that is one of my most anticipated upcoming headphones from my listening at the show. The lighter weight and the headband improving the comfort really is something you need to feel if the old lcd line ever felt heavy.

Oct 27, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #64 of 907
Seems surprising there are so few MX4 impressions. People should have them in hand by now if the shipping date of the 23rd of October was to be believed. Would really love some Ether Flow comparisons.

Oct 31, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #65 of 907
Anyone heard these outside RMAF yet?

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #66 of 907
44e6e48ed9.jpg

Burning em in and posting impressions also a little unboxing video tomorrow!

Nov 3, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #67 of 907
44e6e48ed9.jpg

Burning em in and posting impressions also a little unboxing video tomorrow!

Nice! I look forward to hearing some decent test condition impressions.

Nov 3, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #69 of 907
nsj88lL.jpg

3IHYPRd.jpg

VUnYHCS.jpg

Lighting wasn't the greatest, sorry for the little blurry pics.

Here is the unboxing!

Had em burning in since last night on the Sony TA-ZH1ES, giving them a listen soon!

Available to order and demo now from The Source AV

Thanks for the unboxing, they are some really nice looking headphones! I don't suppose you could you weigh them please? :L3000:

Nov 5, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #70 of 907
nsj88lL.jpg

3IHYPRd.jpg

VUnYHCS.jpg

Lighting wasn't the greatest, sorry for the little blurry pics.

Here is the unboxing!

Had em burning in since last night on the Sony TA-ZH1ES, giving them a listen soon!

Available to order and demo now from The Source AV

These Audeze headphones come with a pretty heavy duty case. Any short impressions yet?

Nov 8, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #71 of 907
Thanks for the unboxing, they are some really nice looking headphones! I don't suppose you could you weigh them please? :L3000:
Tried putting it on our little scale for weighing packages and got 0.56 kg

These Audeze headphones come with a pretty heavy duty case. Any short impressions yet?
Certainly!

The weight and comfort on the MX4 is wonderfully, very nicely distributed and quite comfy with the memory foam ear pads.

Compared the MX4 to the LCD-4 with the SP1000 and listened to Thriller. The MX4 I was hitting around 80 with the SP1000 where as I getting to 110 with the LCD-4 getting it to equal volume and both I had going in balanced. The MX4 right from the get go was a bit punchier and just sounded a bit fuller sounding compared to the LCD-4 which I was more used to hearing it on a bigger desktop amp. Thriller on some headphones which I found bright would sometimes get me fatigued but the MX-4 I wasn't experiencing any of that.

Pretty quick and short but I hope that helps!

Nov 8, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #72 of 907
lcd-4 quite obviously isnt made for a portable dap.....

Nov 9, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #74 of 907
Tried putting it on our little scale for weighing packages and got 0.56 kg

Certainly!

The weight and comfort on the MX4 is wonderfully, very nicely distributed and quite comfy with the memory foam ear pads.

Compared the MX4 to the LCD-4 with the SP1000 and listened to Thriller. The MX4 I was hitting around 80 with the SP1000 where as I getting to 110 with the LCD-4 getting it to equal volume and both I had going in balanced. The MX4 right from the get go was a bit punchier and just sounded a bit fuller sounding compared to the LCD-4 which I was more used to hearing it on a bigger desktop amp. Thriller on some headphones which I found bright would sometimes get me fatigued but the MX-4 I wasn't experiencing any of that.

Pretty quick and short but I hope that helps!

Thanks for the impressions. Sounds like I will probably like these a fair bit as I love warmer headphone (Z1R). How would you say it compares to the Ether Flows? Also is that weight with or without the cable as something doesn't add up. Audeze said it is 30% lighter than any other LCD model but that should make it no more than 486g as the heaviest is the LCD4 at 695g...

Ah well i am going to try and demo these next week anyway so let's see how it goes :D

Nov 9, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #75 of 907
lcd-4 quite obviously isnt made for a portable dap.....
Yeah, in retrospect even something as hefty as the SP1000 wasn't the greatest choice but I at least wanted to get some albeit short impressions on the MX4.
Thanks for the impressions. Sounds like I will probably like these a fair bit as I love warmer headphone (Z1R). How would you say it compares to the Ether Flows? Also is that weight with or without the cable as something doesn't add up. Audeze said it is 30% lighter than any other LCD model but that should make it no more than 486g as the heaviest is the LCD4 at 695g...

Ah well i am going to try and demo these next week anyway so let's see how it goes :D
I weighed them without the cable which I believe is close to the official Audeze weight.

The Ether Flow is my personal at home headphone and I would say the MX4 is a warmer sound in comparison but not really overly so in my opinion. Soundstage was rather similar in memory, possibly I would say the MX4 is a wider. The MX4 is without an easier headphone to drive than the EF, on some of my smaller DAPs I have round the office the MX4 gets pretty loud pretty fast and the EF I think something beefy like an AK Kann drives it quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back