Audeze LCD-MX4
Nov 21, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #94 of 907
We had a mini headphone meet at my office, and I had a chance to listen to the MX4 alongside LCD-X, LCD-3, and my own LCD-2.1(and Focal Utopias), driven by the EAR HP4 and a Schiit DAC. My biggest impression was how much more comfortable the MX is compared to all the other LCD headphones. The difference is much more than just the weight -- the new design makes the headphones roughly as comfortable as my Utopias. As for the sound, everyone agreed that the MX4 was better than all the other LCDs we had on hand (but we didn't have the LCD-4). Compared to the Utopias, they were just different -- less open, less hard hitting, but also more relaxed. Try both -- you'll likely know which sound signature you prefer.

Nov 21, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #95 of 907
We had a mini headphone meet at my office, and I had a chance to listen to the MX4 alongside LCD-X, LCD-3, and my own LCD-2.1(and Focal Utopias), driven by the EAR HP4 and a Schiit DAC. My biggest impression was how much more comfortable the MX is compared to all the other LCD headphones. The difference is much more than just the weight -- the new design makes the headphones roughly as comfortable as my Utopias. As for the sound, everyone agreed that the MX4 was better than all the other LCDs we had on hand (but we didn't have the LCD-4). Compared to the Utopias, they were just different -- less open, less hard hitting, but also more relaxed. Try both -- you'll likely know which sound signature you prefer.
Less hard hitting? Isn't the bass a lot stronger on the MX4?

Nov 21, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #96 of 907
I wouldn't say the bass is "a lot stronger on the MX4". It's a bit deeper, but not drastically so. But what I meant is more that the Utopia has a significant advantage in transient speed, which give the entire frequency spectrum a more open and vivid character. I'm not saying that it's necessarily better, but certainly different. It's the kind of thing you'll notice in the first 10 seconds in comparing the two. Reasonable minds can differ over which is preferable.

Nov 23, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #99 of 907
Nov 23, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #101 of 907
Good first review. Thanks, Mike. Doesn't quite encourage me to give up my Xs, yet. A listening test for myself would be a must.

Definitely you are pointing in one of the keys of this model because when most of the people are looking ahead (LCD4) others are thinking about behind (LCDX).

Let’s see which is the right place for this new headphones.

Nov 24, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #103 of 907
Audition pair from The Source AV in Torrance, CA

Shout out to @TSAVJason and @TSAVAlan for getting these out to me for a nice and pleasant audition.
My favorite audio dealer around. No hassle, straight answers with legit fast shipping, best prices and service. Thanks guys :)

20171124_143357.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #104 of 907
Audition pair from The Source AV in Torrance, CA

Shout out to @TSAVJason and @TSAVAlan for getting these out to me for a nice and pleasant audition.
My favorite audio dealer around. No hassle, straight answers with legit fast shipping, best prices and service. Thanks guys :)

So, dot dot dot, what do they sound like? Or have you had time to plug them in?

Nov 24, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #105 of 907
So, dot dot dot, what do they sound like? Or have you had time to plug them in?
I'm slowly getting accustomed to them. I will do a little sound comparison in a few days with the Focal Clear. One thing I can mention they are extremely comfortable, and super easy to drive, I'm using them with the Chord Mojo and they are on level green in volume which is really low and they sound pretty sweet right now. They are brand new, I was told to give them a few days before they sound their best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back