Best portable USB battery backup chargers
Mar 16, 2015 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cel4145

Headphoneus Supremus
Thought it would be useful to start a thread about the best portable backup battery USB chargers. For any head-fier who has a smartphone, tablet, and/or DAP, it's a must have for travel.

I have a couple Anker 2nd Gen 10000mAh Astro E3s and have enjoyed them for the price: http://www.amazon.com/Compact-10000mAh-Portable-External-Technology/dp/B009USAJCC/ I have a back pack and messenger bag that I regularly use, so I keep one in each.

I recently bought a RAVPower Element 10400mAh just to have another extra backup in case my house power goes out and my Ankers are dead. Haven't had a chance to test it yet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009V5X1CE/

Also have a couple of the dCables Bendy & Durable Short Micro USB Charging Cables. They seem better build quality than the cheap ones that come with the backup batteries.

Anyone else have a device they would like to share?

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 5
I use Sony cycle-energy USB batteries and they have been great for over a year with my iPhone.  The big 11000ah silver one I take along on multi-day backpacking adventures with my sons boy-scout troop and at the end of every day I pass it around from tent to tent so everyone can top off their cameras and phones. 
I also use a PNY 2600mah lipstick type unit thats also very good for the price, and I prefer its light weight and small compact form over the Sony packs.

Heres my video review of my packs.

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 5
I've used a pair of Brunton Metal 4400s over the past couple of years and have been really happy with them. The integrated cables are really nice, especially if your devices are micro USB (if you use lightning cords, you'll still have to pack 'em). Initially, I was worried about the durability of them being a weak point, but they've shown no signs of failing. The LCD readout is a nice touch, too. They're built like a tank, which means I'm not worried about tossing them in the bottom of a messenger bag or a backpack (good for camping), but the flip side is that they're a little heavy for a relatively low-capacity charger.

I've recently picked up a RAVPower RP-PB19 15 Ah charger for an upcoming trip, as they're a really good deal on Amazon right now, and RAVPower's customer support is falling all over themselves to make people happy (scan Amazon's customer reviews and you'll see what I mean), which inspires confidence, but I honestly haven't used it enough to provide much of a review.

Feb 19, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 5
  I use Sony cycle-energy USB batteries and they have been great for over a year with my iPhone.  The big 11000ah silver one I take along on multi-day backpacking adventures with my sons boy-scout troop and at the end of every day I pass it around from tent to tent so everyone can top off their cameras and phones. 
I also use a PNY 2600mah lipstick type unit thats also very good for the price, and I prefer its light weight and small compact form over the Sony packs.

Heres my video review of my packs.

As always, Sony is a decent brand so good choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back