Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 3, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #19,141 of 19,142
I still have my late Dad's Dynakit Stereo 70 that he built around 1961. Really nice sounding amplifier.
It needs a full restoration which I may have done in the future. I did some mild DIY stuff a few decades
back (changing out capacitors, resistors etc.) but did not like dealing with the smell of the burning
lead solder, which is very dangerous to breathe in. I guess if you have an exhaust fan to draw the
solder fumes away from you the tinkering would be more enjoyable.
Been using lead/tin solder for 40+ years. Always in a room with ventilation. They make lead free solder, higher temps more brittle.
You can get restore kits for those old dynacos..
I bought a Van Alstine Ultravalve tube amp which Frank VanAlstine improved the basic design .
He doesnt sell it anymore, it was a $1700 amp then $2K..then they stopped making it.
Really a decent 2 ch amp. I use it sometimes with step down resistors...works good but honestly most head amps are just as nice and less
troublesome hooking up..

Alex

May 3, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #19,142 of 19,142
Been using lead/tin solder for 40+ years. Always in a room with ventilation. They make lead free solder, higher temps more brittle.
You can get restore kits for those old dynacos..
I bought a Van Alstine Ultravalve tube amp which Frank VanAlstine improved the basic design .
He doesnt sell it anymore, it was a $1700 amp then $2K..then they stopped making it.
Really a decent 2 ch amp. I use it sometimes with step down resistors...works good but honestly most head amps are just as nice and less
troublesome hooking up..

Alex
Frank builds nice equipment. I have an old dac from AVA circa 2008 that's very nice sounding. Back in the early
1990's I purchased an AVA Fet valve 300i hybrid amplifier that was very pleasant to listen to driving a pair of 15 ohm LS3/5's.
The Ultravalve is fairly rare. I think they actually sell for more on the used market than they did new. Really like all the chrome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back