Can Con Sydney Australia 7.5 Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 29
Here's an Imgur album of the better photos that I took, didn't manage to cover much of the gear everyone brought though, spent too much time in listening to them. Thanks for everyone for attending and pkwak for the organizing!

https://imgur.com/a/I2Ilj

If anyone wants the RAW files to do any post processing themselves, I can send them a Google Drive link or something.

Nov 11, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 29
Here's an Imgur album of the better photos that I took, didn't manage to cover much of the gear everyone brought though, spent too much time in listening to them. Thanks for everyone for attending and pkwak for the organizing!

If anyone wants the RAW files to do any post processing themselves, I can send them a Google Drive link or something.
Nice shots Brian!

Nov 11, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 29

I'm definitely getting myself an f/1.8 35mm lens now...

Nov 11, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #7 of 29
Thanks everyone for coming had great fun~ Will miss you guys but hopefully I will come back for a visit and perhaps have a small meet~
And special thanks to sandalaudio for managing the thread~

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #9 of 29
This is my 3rd attendance at a Can Con Sydney meet and I've gotten to know the small group well by now. A great bunch of guys that have great love for this very engaging hobby. The gear on display were quite outstanding for such a small group and as usual I didn't have time to sample everything. The day went by too quickly !

Some of the gear that impressed me:-

Woo Audio Wa5 - stunning tube amp in both looks and sound. This is what I call end game or close to it. Texture laden with the clarity of a bright spring day and a euphonic tone that only good tube amps can produce. This makes me all the more want to listen to a EC Studio, DNA Stratus, Glenn 300b, EL3N and OTL amps just for comparisons.

Abyss headphone - a very unusual looking headphone that won't win any beauty contest but one of the best sounding headphones I've heard to date. Articulate, great soundstage and did almost everything right but the mids seems more recessed compared to Utopia.

Focal Utopia - 2nd time I've heard this headphone. I spend considerable time with it on my Yggy and Rag setup and then on Yggy and Wa5. I much prefer it on the latter. Great sounding headphone. My favourite of all the headphones I've heard so far. A narrower soundstage but it's not a detriment for me. Great on vocals and a good selection of music, from classical, jazz to classic rock. A sweet sounding headphone that almost had a bounce in the tone. Lively and spirited with a clarity that is second to none. I would love to own one.

Bottlehead Crack / with Speedball and Chord Mojo as DAC - I thought this sounded lovely with Atticus and Eikon. Shows you don't need to spend big to get a very enjoyable system.

Lastly, opinions varied on Eikon and Atticus. Some prefer Eikon whilst others prefer Atticus.

Great to see @wink again. So generous of him to donate some great headphones (including a T1) as lucky draw door prizes.

So to everyone, thanks for a great day of listening to music and sampling gear. Special thanks to Paul. We will miss you when you move to Melbourne.

Till we meet again, UT.

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #10 of 29
Some photos I took with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge mobilephone. :)

Abyss with Yggy and Rag
20171111_143904.jpg

Woo Audio Wa5
20171111_135925.jpg

Utopia with Yggy and Rag
20171111_133416.jpg

V1 dac/amp
20171111_135445.jpg

Eikon and Atticus
20171111_135408.jpg

Bottlehead Crack with Speedball
20171111_130230.jpg

A shot of some of the attendees.
20171111_143032.jpg

Nov 11, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 29
Would have loved to stayed all day, but great to spend a few hours catching-up and trying out some old gear, and some new gear as well.

Really enjoyed spending some more time with the utopia, on both the Rag/Yggy stack and the WA5. Simply stunning, so resolving.

My favourite discovery of the day had to be the Eikon - thanks Matthew for bringing it along with the Atticus for comparison. It imaged crazily-well on the Schiit stack, and has so much detail yet so much character. Very fun on the Bottlehead as well! Think it'll definitely be my next upgrade path...

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #15 of 29
Did anyone bring any electrostatic gear ?
There was a raffle/door prize of a stax headphone and a blue hawaii amp. .

I think it was John that one that one

You should have come along.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back