CanJam @ RMAF 2017 (October 6-8, 2017) Impressions!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #211 of 373
Nobody went to listen new ESS AMT headphones?
I did. I had an ESS PS-8 in the late seventies, so I've been a fan for a long time.

They only had the hybrid version, not the AMT only version. The hybrid was OK, nothing special. Pretty detailed. I'm not good at judging coherence, measurements would help. The headphone didn't stand out as anything special, but not horrible either, for the short time I listened.

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #212 of 373
@Snowpuppy77 - if you haven't heard them through the Woo WA8 (the 2nd setup on Klipsch table) - you missed out big time!
That setup was a very significant step up.

Thank you for that. I did not get a chance to hear the W8 with the Klipsch. Wish I did. Will keep that in mind and hopefully get a chance to hear the new Klipsch on a better amp. I was wondering if the amp may be part of the problem. I used the amps coax input from my FiiO X5.

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #214 of 373
Thanks to everyone who came out to CanJam RMAF 2017, it was a great event and our biggest RMAF to date! For those that could not make it, please visit the CanJam Global 2018 thread for information on our 2018 events and look forward to seeing everyone at CanJam NYC 2018 this February!

IMG_0015.jpgIMG_0032.jpgIMG_0021.jpg IMG_0026.jpg IMG_0020.jpg IMG_0029.jpg IMG_0025.jpg IMG_0022.jpg IMG_0027.jpg IMG_0019.jpg IMG_0018.jpg IMG_0023.jpg IMG_0028.jpg

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #215 of 373
Do you think the new Headamp Gilmore Lite MK2 would be a good pairing with the HP3?
Would you describe the Gilmore as bright? I found the GSX MK2 to be an unpleasant listen so Im curious how the new Gilmore Lite compares.

A bright amplifier can make my Edition – X sound a little fatiguing, and I did not find that to be the case with my headphones on the Gilmore Lite.

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #216 of 373
* Mr Speakers - meeting Dan (@mrspeakers) is always a pleasure! One of the nicest guys in the industry :)
OK, I already own the Ether Flow Open (EFO) and Aeon Flow Closed (AFC). Does the new Aeon Flow Open (AFO) sound any good? Absolutely! Are they better than EFO? No, IMHO. They are warmer / more fun signature.
Here is my “buyer’s guide” for Dan’s crazy good portfolio:
- For neutral and detailed: buy Ether Flow Open (if price difference is not an issue)
- Fun and warm great all-arounder: buy Aeon Flow Open
- Got to have closed headphones that sound great: buy Aeon Flow Closed

* ZMF - Zach (@zach915m) and Bevin are so great, and I am grateful I can call them my friends! Repeating my comment about Dan above - definitely among the very nicest people around :)
Auteur vs. Atticus - Auteur is great! Atticus is great! Sound signature is close (to my ears), which is great for anyone who likes Zach’s house sound. So how do they differ?
Auteur is a little more detailed and closer to neutral.
Atticus is smoother and warmer.
Both are very highly recommended!

* Focal
Clear - first, as background, I was never impressed by Elear or Utopia. I never found them exciting personally (and tested them on any imaginable setup at CanJams).
The new Clear, to my ears and taste, beat both Elear and Utopia easily! For their price ($1500) - I can name a few headphones that match my personal taste better, but those are the first Focals I did not completely yawn at. Did not post any photo since many posted photos already...

Thanks for you notes on these headphones! My preferences are very similar to yours (warm and smooth instead of sharp). My question to you is - if you had to choose only 1 headphone to take home fom Mr Speakers, ZMF, and Focal... which would it be?

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #217 of 373
Can anyone compare the advanced planar (name's Alpha I believe?) to the Acoustic Research one? I wasn't able to make it to this year's RMAF yet these two seems to me the biggest contenders for $500-$1000 planar given how much positive reviews they get.

Oct 10, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #218 of 373
Do you think the new Headamp Gilmore Lite MK2 would be a good pairing with the HP3?
Would you describe the Gilmore as bright? I found the GSX MK2 to be an unpleasant listen so Im curious how the new Gilmore Lite compares.
I have not tried the Gilmore Lite MK2 with the HP3, so I have no idea. I thought their own DAC/Amp was pretty anemic, and way preferred it with the warm (and probably more powerful) WA8.
As for the Gilmore being bright or not - I have auditioned it with ZMF Atticus and Auteur, as well as Mr. Speakers Ether C Flow. None made me hear any brightness. They all made me feel / believe that the Gilmore is very neutral. Adding no coloration to the music, and let the headphones character show itself.

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #219 of 373
It is both warm and slightly V-shaped, those two are not conflicting each other.
Good question. I definitely heard the warmth. It could have been a little V-shaped, but if so - not to an extreme.
Keep in mind:
- Show floor is not very quiet.
- I spent 10 minutes with them.
- I was not particularly looking for anything specific. Just an high-level impressions.

Bottom line:
For $1200 - I would personally not buy them! There are better (and cheaper) alternatives IMHO for open back warm headphones.

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #220 of 373
Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #221 of 373
Thanks for you notes on these headphones! My preferences are very similar to yours (warm and smooth instead of sharp). My question to you is - if you had to choose only 1 headphone to take home fom Mr Speakers, ZMF, and Focal... which would it be?
Hmmm.... That is like asking a mom (or dad) who is their favorite kid :wink:
OK, here is my best and honest answer - if I had to choose only 1 headphone:
* If you want an open back - Mr. Speakers AEON open. That is an easy one!
* For closed, it is super hard for me to choose between Mr. Speakers AEON closed and ZMF Atticus. Honestly, they're both amazing! If you want it closer to neutral - AEON Closed. If you want it much warmer than neutral - ZMF!

Hope that helps :)

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #222 of 373
Oct 10, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #223 of 373
Hmmm.... That is like asking a mom (or dad) who is their favorite kid :wink:
OK, here is my best and honest answer - if I had to choose only 1 headphone:
* If you want an open back - Mr. Speakers AEON open. That is an easy one!
* For closed, it is super hard for me to choose between Mr. Speakers AEON closed and ZMF Atticus. Honestly, they're both amazing! If you want it closer to neutral - AEON Closed. If you want it much warmer than neutral - ZMF!

Hope that helps :)

Thank you! That does help narrow it down. What's surprising to me is that you chose AEON open instead of Ether flow open! I have a business trip to LA this Thursday, so I'm hoping to go to Source AV and audition each of the headphones you recommended and then let my ears decide.... I definitely appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Oct 10, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #224 of 373
Can anyone compare the advanced planar (name's Alpha I believe?) to the Acoustic Research one? I wasn't able to make it to this year's RMAF yet these two seems to me the biggest contenders for $500-$1000 planar given how much positive reviews they get.

Here's my notes on these two. Show condition disclaimer applies.
Advanced Alpha planar. High clamp, but comfortable pads. Nice, detailed sound. Balanced bass. Needs an amp. Stage just ok. Maybe a little shouty, and fun, but enjoyable. Missing something, upper mids? PF Slone song made me wince on these. Not great for male vocals. 499

The $599 planar sounds pretty good. nothing bad to report. I like 'em. Maybe a little V shaped, but enjoyable to listen to.

SOOO hard to really judge a the show, but my nod goes to the AR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back