CanJam @ RMAF 2017 (October 6-8, 2017) Impressions!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #228 of 373
* Echo box

Headphones prototype called Vanguard.
Very comfy open back. Handled bass and sub bass very well. No harshness at all. Very fun listen.
Expected in 5-6 months for $349. I would very seriously consider adding them to my collection at that price!

That looks an awful lot like the Sivga SV005....

7431541ZKqZbDiwL.jpg

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #231 of 373
Hmmm.... That is like asking a mom (or dad) who is their favorite kid :wink:
OK, here is my best and honest answer - if I had to choose only 1 headphone:
* If you want an open back - Mr. Speakers AEON open. That is an easy one!
* For closed, it is super hard for me to choose between Mr. Speakers AEON closed and ZMF Atticus. Honestly, they're both amazing! If you want it closer to neutral - AEON Closed. If you want it much warmer than neutral - ZMF!

Hope that helps :)
That's very reassuring Zachik. I admit I'd been having second doubts about jumping on the AFO 2days ago after reading show impressions

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #234 of 373
Oh, man! Didn't notice the black tape. They are definitely using the Sivga shells for the prototype.

Usually the approach for a prototype is to make something so horrendous looking no would want to steal the design.

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #235 of 373
Thank you! That does help narrow it down. What's surprising to me is that you chose AEON open instead of Ether flow open! I have a business trip to LA this Thursday, so I'm hoping to go to Source AV and audition each of the headphones you recommended and then let my ears decide.... I definitely appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.
Let me know which you chose! :)

As for AEON open over Ether Flow open:
I believe the Ether Flow open is technically superior. It is a little more detailed, and more neutral. However, I tend to gravitate towards headphones that are slightly (or more than slightly) warmer! Also, a $1000 price difference is very hard to ignore :wink:
Honestly, I would be very happy with either, but a little happier with the one that leaves $1000 in my wallet (or more likely, let me buy more stuff).

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #236 of 373
Alternatives such as?
Mr. Speakers AEON Open. List at $799 and are superior in every way!
HiFiMAN Edition X v2

I hope 2 alternatives are sufficient... :wink:

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #237 of 373
That's very reassuring Zachik. I admit I'd been having second doubts about jumping on the AFO 2days ago after reading show impressions
You should not have any 2nd thoughts! Dan has done it again!! :wink:

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #239 of 373
Mr. Speakers AEON Open. List at $799 and are superior in every way!
HiFiMAN Edition X v2

I hope 2 alternatives are sufficient... :wink:

I see. I think our tuning preferences are way different. The Aeons were disappointing for me. Edition X wasn't bad but it lacked attack and felt a bit thin to me. I think the HP3 will be more my speed since I'm a closet bass head who prefers warmer headphones. It sounds like the HP3 has fantastic bass with a smooth midrange and above average treble extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back