CanJam @ RMAF 2017 (October 6-8, 2017) Impressions!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #241 of 373
Interesting as I thought HP-3 is superior to Aeon Open in every way

I see. I think our tuning preferences are way different. The Aeons were disappointing for me. Edition X wasn't bad but it lacked attack and felt a bit thin to me. I think the HP3 will be more my speed since I'm a closet bass head who prefers warmer headphones. It sounds like the HP3 has fantastic bass with a smooth midrange and above average treble extension.

I thought they were both very good in their own way. It just seems to be a matter of personal preference.

Yup - definitely a matter of personal preference!
One thing that I believe we can agree on - the HP3 needed more amping than the AEON. In other words, AEONs are easier to drive.

Oct 11, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #242 of 373
Apparently the HP-3, when it becomes available, will list for 50% more than the Aeon. I imagine that will be significant for some.
I would like to hear more form anyone who has heard both the Aeon open and closed version. I have a set of the closed version and really like them. I am trying to decide whether the purchase of the open version would be a worthwhile investment.

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #243 of 373
Oct 11, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #244 of 373
Wonder write up. Thanks.

You and I are polar opposites on some, and agree on others. Perfect example of why everyone needs to listen for themselves to make purchasing decisions.

this was my single biggest take away from 2 days listening to stuff. Everyone hears things differently and everyone will like different things. Its much much more personal than I previously thought. I could listen to something right next to someone and then we talk about it and be 100% different opinions. I actually loved that. But, it makes me understand now not to buy something without hearing it first.

That's actually why I spent so much time there listening and re-listening to things just so I now have a much better idea of what I like and what I dont like and can now even explain why :wink:

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #245 of 373
I would like to hear more form anyone who has heard both the Aeon open and closed version

I heard both and I own the Aeon closed. The Aeon open sounds of course like the closed sibling but with a larger soundstage (the closed variant is known to have a narrower soundstage than the Ether C Flow). So if you like the closed and like big soundstage, this is for you. I can't say much about the width because it was particularly noisy around the MrSpeakers booth.

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #246 of 373
Thanks for that!
Would you say that they maintain a similar tonal balance. Though some disagree, obviously, I like the tonality and timbre presentation of the closed model. Interestingly, though some complain, I don't find the closed model to be even lacking bass response. I don't even find what some say is a thinness in the lower midrange to be a problem, given good amplification.

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #247 of 373
Thanks for that!
Would you say that they maintain a similar tonal balance. Though some disagree, obviously, I like the tonality and timbre presentation of the closed model. Interestingly, though some complain, I don't find the closed model to be even lacking bass response. I don't even find what some say is a thinness in the lower midrange to be a problem, given good amplification.
IMHO the open has a little warmer sound signature, and little extra bass.
I own the AEON closed and the Ether Flow open, BTW.

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #248 of 373
oh man, what a show! This was my first ever, and while I realize looking through this thread there was a lot I missed that I forgot about, I listened to a ton of stuff some for quite a while. E.G. the final Audio D8000s and the MR Speakers Aeon open. Spent hours just between those 2. so many reps and attendies were awesome to talk with as well. other things I listened to, I now know what DAC and amp i'm getting, schiit Audio Gungnir and jotunheim. Those guys were sooo awesome! And honest. Enjoyed the hiFi man Edition X 2, the Audeze MX4 which I didn't expect to enjoy tbh and the XC were quite good as well. I love my HD800S, so loved hearing a pair on the hDVD820. incredible! phiio and a&K were great visits, phiio had an Auteur, unfortunately got talking to jeff and Brian so didn't get to hear that headphone much at all, but really liked what I heard for the little I did listen. Audiotechnica SR7 and SR9, not bad, but not priced compeditively for the sound. Blue Satelites wipe the flor with both of them. That said, I did kind of like the sr7 and if it were $200 rather than $300, it would be a steal and really compeditive imo. the ADX 5000 was really nice to listen to honestly, in colored and really balanced well. even though the DAC is less than half the cost, I think they'd sound pretty awesome with the DAC3 from benchmark. Wouldn't put the ADX at $5,000. They could use a touch mor bass i'd say, but not much, and I think everything else about them could be maintained. Also they fit oddly on my head. Therres a curve on the band that hugs the outside of the top of my head in a weird way that didn't bother me necessarily, but I would not buy it with that kind of fit. Heard the PSB M4U8 and i'll be selling my QC35s likely once it comes out. Some of the switches could use a bit mor travel on them, but the ANC was truly top notch and there a very versital pair that will run Wired, bT and USB. Theres an NAD version as well, but thought the design was different which is fine, but weird to me. Also had a mor closed sound imo. Checked out Shures BT cable for their IEMs and imo they don't lose as much fidelity as I thought they would in BT. not going to buy it, but had to know since I have some 425s.

What did you think of the NAD Viso HP70? Differences between the ANC of it and the PSB?

I heard the PSB M4U1 awhile back and for me it was a prime example of a headphone that although technically decent, failed almost all over the board. Plasticky, unnatural sound with artificial soundstage plus some really bad ergonomics and comfort.

On the other hand, I use the Nad Viso HP50 daily. Beautifully balanced closed sound and really nice isolation. (it's a bit warm and drowns out the human voice just the right amount). Best closed back (and by that I mean really closed, looking at you Fostex) cans under $300 IMO.
I was really excited to hear that the new HP70 is coming out. If the sound is the same and the ANC is good then I just lost a bunch of money I think.

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #250 of 373
20171011_152056.png
They are, but not many will want to wear it because it is wearing something green on the head, something people usually avoid doing.
Team Green!

Oct 11, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #253 of 373
I have not tried the Gilmore Lite MK2 with the HP3, so I have no idea. I thought their own DAC/Amp was pretty anemic, and way preferred it with the warm (and probably more powerful) WA8.
As for the Gilmore being bright or not - I have auditioned it with ZMF Atticus and Auteur, as well as Mr. Speakers Ether C Flow. None made me hear any brightness. They all made me feel / believe that the Gilmore is very neutral. Adding no coloration to the music, and let the headphones character show itself.

What were the dynamics like? Punchy or smooth? Not many impressions out there, sorry for pestering.

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #254 of 373
Almost no talk about MrSpeakers ES?

Disclaimer - Headphone impressions are so subjective at the these shows, with so many different people having different tastes. Mr Speakers, HiFiMan, Audeze, etc make so many good sounding headphones, and which is best will depend on the listener.

I mentioned earlier that the Mr Speakers ES were my favorite headphone made by Dan, but they really need a Blue Hawaii class amplifier and so that additional price tag limits my desire big time. They were fast, detailed, spacious, and balanced sounding. But they did tend to break up at very high volume levels much more easily than their planar magnetic counterparts, and so maybe the ES or the Amp still hasn't caught up if you like to play them loud and feel some hard hitting bass impact (the Planars do that quite well).

I also heard the Mr Speakers ES in a very different rig in the quiet room than the Stax SR-009 + KGBH at the Headamp table, which was my favorite rig at the Headamp table. The Mr Speakers Ether Flow and Ether C Flow still make more sense on a bang for the buck phone from Mr Speakers, as they were driven very well by the Headamp GS-X Mk2. I preferred the LCD-3 more, but those were a lot heavier and cost quite a bit more and they don't isolate like the Mr Speakers Ether C Flow which I like more than the open version.

However, after comparing the Mr Speakers Ether Flow vs my Edition-X on a portable DAC/amp, and hearing the Edition-X on the Gilmore Lite Mk2 right before trying the Ether C Flow on the GS-X, I still prefer the Edition-X unless I need a closed phone to isolate external sounds.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #255 of 373
What were the dynamics like? Punchy or smooth? Not many impressions out there, sorry for pestering.
Andrew - you're not pestering :wink:
Hmmm..... I did not take notes whether the headphone was punchy or smooth. I prefer not to "guess" since I am not sure (listened to dozens of headphones in 3 days - whatever I did not take notes of, is a blur). Sorry. Maybe others remember or took notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back