CanJam @ RMAF 2017 (October 6-8, 2017) Impressions!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 12, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #271 of 373
Thanks for your feedback I think hype was created by Tyll I am now doubting, I should've trusted my own judgement and have not sold my Ether C flow I deeply regret now.

Have the Ether C Flow and a friend has the Aeons we've traded a few times. The two headphones are priced quite in line with their quality. Aeon is great at it's price point, it's a long way from the Ether C Flow. After his hyperbolic diatribes on the Elaer and the Aeon and spending time with both headphones, I moved Tyl down below Z-Reviews on the list of people who I care about what they say. That's pretty far down the list. At least Zeos is funny.

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #272 of 373
Have the Ether C Flow and a friend has the Aeons we've traded a few times. The two headphones are priced quite in line with their quality. Aeon is great at it's price point, it's a long way from the Ether C Flow. After his hyperbolic diatribes on the Elaer and the Aeon and spending time with both headphones, I moved Tyl down below Z-Reviews on the list of people who I care about what they say. That's pretty far down the list. At least Zeos is funny.

Which reviewers do you recommend? Im always on the look out ...

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #273 of 373
Headphones feel underpowered with it or what?
not about under powered. I just feel better with other dac amp ive used

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #274 of 373
It's quite possible the Aeon's need a break-in period, and when I listened to an Aeon and didn't like it, might have been a new unit. It's also possible that Tyll had a fully broken in unit when he did his review and others did not. Since reviews of the Aeon are all over the place (from meh to great), I wonder if this is a factor. Tyll also pointed out that position of the Aeon on the head is very important to good sound. I didn't believe in break-in for headphones until I got my ether c. 100 hours really did make a different. Not all headphones will benefit from break-in, but if the Ether C did, and since the Aeon uses similar technology, one might assume that Aeon would benefit too.

As for Tyll, I trust his ear more than just about anyones. He prefers a more laid back signature than I do, so I take that into account. If he likes a headphone, it's signature is probably neutral to slightly warm. If he says it has a little too much energy up top, I will probably like it :) Tyll is very consistent and straight forward. Sure, he's not all that entertaining to watch, but his written reviews are extremely good, helpful, and consistent.

Hell, I would pay a subscription cost for InnerFidelity, if they had a premium service!

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #275 of 373
Which reviewers do you recommend? Im always on the look out ...
His review disposition is based on tonality. Irritationans from spikes, peaks, and dips, make things sound unrealistic even if it is more resolving. The more neutral, the more accurate. Sure the TH900 has better technicalities than a Mr Speakers Mad dog, but which one would I pick to listen to more ofte ? The Mad dogs because the clean and clearer treble of the TH900 is too elevated.
I wouldn't ask him for respected reviewers based on his baseless comment. In fact no reviewer will always get it right and be someone you agree with.

Oct 12, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #276 of 373
... I moved Tyl down below Z-Reviews on the list of people who I care about what they say. That's pretty far down the list. At least Zeos is funny.

+1 for Zeos being funny. Once in a while, I actually agree with his reviews, but I guess even a broken clock shows the correct time twice a day :wink:

Oct 12, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #277 of 373
not about under powered. I just feel better with other dac amp ive used

Darn, I've been holding out for this new Sennheiser 820 for so long.. been saving my lil money and now I hear it isn't even worth it..

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #278 of 373
His review disposition is based on tonality. Irritationans from spikes, peaks, and dips, make things sound unrealistic even if it is more resolving. The more neutral, the more accurate. Sure the TH900 has better technicalities than a Mr Speakers Mad dog, but which one would I pick to listen to more ofte ? The Mad dogs because the clean and clearer treble of the TH900 is too elevated.
I wouldn't ask him for respected reviewers based on his baseless comment. In fact no reviewer will always get it right and be someone you agree with.
LOL! I would totally pick the TH900. In fact, I own a pair! The Mad Dogs were like Mud Dogs to me.

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #280 of 373
And the point went over your head
I apologize for my slowness. You used a number of pronouns without reference, so I was assuming you meant Tyll. Did you mean someone else?

But you are correct. I didn't understand the point you were trying to make.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #282 of 373
LOL! I would totally pick the TH900. In fact, I own a pair! The Mad Dogs were like Mud Dogs to me.

The Mad Dog 3D Pro were the turning point for me.

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #283 of 373
Any thoughts on the Gilmore vs the Burson Soloist mk2? I really like Burson but the form factor of the Gilmore is a definite +

I need an amp which has the juice for my 6XX as well as working with lower impedence Planars like the Aeon :)

OK, spent the last hour or so with the Gilmore Lite MK2 and the AEONs (closed). As promised.
The Gilmore Lite MK2 is a GREAT matching with the AEON closed. The sound signature, in 2 words, is liquid and smooth. Had to check and double check it is not a tube amp... such a pleasant sound with a hint of warmth. Cannot wait to hear what a half decent DAC would do (currently, using the built-in DAC of the Schiit Jotunheim...)

I hope it is useful information. Highly recommended combo!

Oct 13, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #284 of 373
OK, spent the last hour or so with the Gilmore Lite MK2 and the AEONs (closed). As promised.
The Gilmore Lite MK2 is a GREAT matching with the AEON closed. The sound signature, in 2 words, is liquid and smooth. Had to check and double check it is not a tube amp... such a pleasant sound with a hint of warmth. Cannot wait to hear what a half decent DAC would do (currently, using the built-in DAC of the Schiit Jotunheim...)

I hope it is useful information. Highly recommended combo!

hey thanks very much for this info. Nice to hear Aeon works well..and I've heard direct from Zach that his 300ohmers work great too on it.. my plan will be to run my mojo into it DAC wise btw.

I've reached out to headamp and as Im based between USA and Europe I'll need two power supplies which will actually make it easier as I'll only ever need to carry the amp unit in my suitcase :)

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #285 of 373
I moved Tyl down below Z-Reviews on the list of people who I care about what they say.
I respect your view. We all hear differently. I heard Z-Reviews rave about cans being warm that I found strident. I've heard Tyll call the Oppo PM3 rolled off in the bass after reading many here praise their low end. My hearing response favors the "Harman Curve" he speaks of (the reverse of the Fletcher Munson curve mainly). Z-Reviews likes treble, as the Ether C Flow Closed were brutal in the high end like Tyll also found. The AEON was better for my ears up there, and the Ether C Flow Open was amazing, some of the best opens, ever. I more rely on his view of things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back