CanJam @ RMAF 2017 (October 6-8, 2017) Impressions!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #316 of 373
Wanted to share the great news that we got via a Facebook update from Mo's sister this morning.....thanks to everyone in our community for the wonderful support!

"So grateful my brother Maurice Washington got through his surgery to remove his tumor and the clot, with NO complications! God is good!!!
1f64c_1f3fe.png
"

Oct 16, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #317 of 373
@miceblue

That final Audio DIY IEM thing looked like a lot of fun, I wish i could have done that. Did it cost any money?

Also @third_eye That is amazing news to hear! When he gets back and is up for it we have to all get together in SoCal and take him out to dinner!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #318 of 373
Wanted to share the great news that we got via a Facebook update from Mo's sister this morning.....thanks to everyone in our community for the wonderful support!

"So grateful my brother Maurice Washington got through his surgery to remove his tumor and the clot, with NO complications! God is good!!!
1f64c_1f3fe.png
"

I'm so incredibly relieved. Unreal support from all of us, 24k in just a couple days is amazing.

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #319 of 373
I am so impressed with this community, I just checked the balance in the gofundme and it's $22k. Unbelievable.
I had donated couple of days ago and didn't get any updates yet. (EDIT, just read the post after this).
I thought it said he had an aneurism on Go Fund Me, but it mentioned a tumor. Benign or malignant?

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #320 of 373
I am so impressed with this community, I just checked the balance in the gofundme and it's $22k. Unbelievable.

1f64c_1f3fe.png
"

@moedawg140 is an awesome guy!! Met him at all CanJams I attended so far (3 in total, including last week in Denver).
Always fun to chat with him, and as a relatively newbie in this hobby - he has been always great answering my questions and exchange opinions.
I cannot think of anyone more worthy of our help :)
I am REALLY happy and relieved to hear the good news. Cannot wait to see Moe in SoCal during next CanJam (in April 2018)!

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #321 of 373
Oct 16, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #322 of 373
You the man @moedawg140. Glad to hear this have been thinking of you all day. Even threw on my one more triple driver in your honor. Thanks @third_eye for the update.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 16, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #323 of 373
It kind of irks me when people mis-pronounce names like how Audeze is pronounced Aw-dih-see, not Aw-deeze; you're missing a whole syllable there.
They should have called it Odyssey then :darthsmile:

Oct 16, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #324 of 373
They said it was a "cavernous tumor" which is probably a "Cavernous Malformation" or "Vascular malformation"
But this is only form what I can gather from the various communications. I obviously do not have all the details...so...FWIW
Vascular malformations are localized collections of blood vessels that are abnormal in structure or number, lead to altered blood flow, and are not cancerous (nonneoplastic).
I had donated couple of days ago and didn't get any updates yet. (EDIT, just read the post after this).
I thought it said he had an aneurism on Go Fund Me, but it mentioned a tumor. Benign or malignant?

Oct 16, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #325 of 373
My 4,000+ word CanJam at RMAF show report is live on Enjoy the Music! Many thanks to the Head-Fi crew for putting on a terrific show.

You can check out my show report here:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/CanJam_Denver_2017/CanJam_Denver_2017_a.htm

Yours is the first report that I’ve seen regarding a firmware MQA update for the iFi DACs - I don’t even see any mention of it on the iFi website. Previously I thought only the nano black label and probably the Pro would do MQA. Do you know if the firmware enables a full decode or is a software unfold required?

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #326 of 373
Yours is the first report that I’ve seen regarding a firmware MQA update for the iFi DACs - I don’t even see any mention of it on the iFi website. Previously I thought only the nano black label and probably the Pro would do MQA. Do you know if the firmware enables a full decode or is a software unfold required?

I believe it does the full decode. They were playing tidal at their booth and it was set "Hif"i when I got there, and after talking with them I switched it over to MQA with passthrough... I believe that means the hardware is doing all the work. It did sound very nice with the Masters tracks I listened to once I switched it over. Apparently it is working with most of their devices now, but I guess they are still tweaking it before release because there was still a problem with one of the devices. (It might have been the Nano, but I'm not sure... I do know that they have it working with the micro iDAC2 and the micro iDSD Black Label for sure).

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #327 of 373
miceblue, you have the best RMAF impressions, thanks! I spent way too much time in the CanJam headphone room and the Audioengine room, because I was afraid if I heard all the speakers at the show that I could get my hands on then I'd be really unhappy that I couldn't afford them. I can't stop thinking about the PS Audio room with Focal Sopra No.3, and now I believe that they were dozens of rooms with great speakers that I missed.

I regret that I didn't take up an offer to trade the 2015 demo Chapman T-5 speakers for my 1991 Rolex Explorer II, when the trade was offered at the show a couple of years ago. But I've been happy with my AV123 X-static speakers in the main room and the PSB Imagine Mini bookshelf speakers in my bedroom, but maybe I'll upgrade my speakers someday. My next speaker purchase is the PSB Series 450 Subwoofer, as I'm using a pair of cheap subs with each of my speaker setups (TV room and bedroom) that just don't reach down below 30Hz as well as they should.

I listened to your binaural demos tonight with my CEntrance DACmini > HiFiMan RE-1000 customs (beta test), and the Bob Carver demo recording was simply fantastic, and the Martin Logan demo recording was also pretty good as well. My other IEM are still out in my backpack in the car from last weekend.
Thank you for the kind words! I missed out on most of the RMAF stuff last year, so this year I wanted to spend a day going through the Marriott's "speaker tower" working from the top floor down. The systems in those rooms are, for the most part, way out of my budget, but it was really fun to see the unique setups in the rooms I visited. The Bob Carver line array speakers were certainly one of the more uniquely designed speakers that I saw there. I didn't expect to hear that kind of sound from them and I was really surprised at their ability to image.

@miceblue

That final Audio DIY IEM thing looked like a lot of fun, I wish i could have done that. Did it cost any money?
Yes, it was a $55 fee. The folks at Final had mentioned that the metal shell used for these kits is similar to their Piano Forte in-ears, which are upwards of $150. I would say it was worth the fee if you're interested in experimenting with different filters and for getting a very nice in-ear earphone package in general.

They should have called it Odyssey then :darthsmile:
Aw-deez; the -sey in Odyssey is silent. : p

Oct 18, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #330 of 373
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back