CanJam @ RMAF 2017 (October 6-8, 2017) Impressions!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #346 of 373
Sundara is definitely not a contender.

+1 for ÆON Open.

Agreed; the main "contenders" within that bracket are gonna be the ÆON (open), the new AR planars and maybe the LCD2C (if they don't mess it up)/the Elear if it comes down in price for good. I doubt the Sundara is trying to compete there, at least I personally am not ecstatic about the idea of paying 500 bucks for a 400i successor.

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #347 of 373
Yeah I'm drawing towards that too. What about the lcd2

I like the LCD2, but the ÆON is better in many ways. If you have a good amp and bass is the priority, LCD-2 pre-fazor is a good pick, but the imaging is a bit of a mess compared to the ÆON, which is a more refined all-rounder.

The dark horse here is the Acoustic Research AR-H1, which I thought was absolutely phenomenal at $599. But my experience with it is limited at this point, I'm not quite sure how it will compare to the ÆON Flow Open... it's going to have to be really good once I get it in a home setting to win that battle.

Oct 19, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #349 of 373
I like the LCD2, but the ÆON is better in many ways. If you have a good amp and bass is the priority, LCD-2 pre-fazor is a good pick, but the imaging is a bit of a mess compared to the ÆON, which is a more refined all-rounder.

The dark horse here is the Acoustic Research AR-H1, which I thought was absolutely phenomenal at $599. But my experience with it is limited at this point, I'm not quite sure how it will compare to the ÆON Flow Open... it's going to have to be really good once I get it in a home setting to win that battle.
I see. I have ordered the massdrop liquid carbon. I am also planning on getting a chord mojo. Do you think the aeon will pair good with either of those two amps

Oct 19, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #352 of 373
I see. I have ordered the massdrop liquid carbon. I am also planning on getting a chord mojo. Do you think the aeon will pair good with either of those two amps

Yes. Unquestionably.

Oct 19, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #353 of 373
What did you think of the NAD Viso HP70? Differences between the ANC of it and the PSB?

I heard the PSB M4U1 awhile back and for me it was a prime example of a headphone that although technically decent, failed almost all over the board. Plasticky, unnatural sound with artificial soundstage plus some really bad ergonomics and comfort.

On the other hand, I use the Nad Viso HP50 daily. Beautifully balanced closed sound and really nice isolation. (it's a bit warm and drowns out the human voice just the right amount). Best closed back (and by that I mean really closed, looking at you Fostex) cans under $300 IMO.
I was really excited to hear that the new HP70 is coming out. If the sound is the same and the ANC is good then I just lost a bunch of money I think.
I didn't like the hp70 really, to closed feeling imo, I mean it sounded mor closed off than I wanted. felt like there was no where for the sound to go. wasn't looking for that. the m4u8 is closed also, but I didn't go over looking to buy another set of bt headphones. And I haven't heard the hp50. but I think the m4u8 is better over all. the anc on it is a little better I think, but was really good on both the hp70 and m4u8. I think the hp70 is starting at $379, maybe wait 6 months to a year to see if it goes down at all.

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #354 of 373

I just got the AR-H1 yesterday and my initial impression is that it is indeed phenomenal for the price. Great build quality - better than the Aeon closed I had, and a lot of other higher priced headphones for that matter. I wasn't that crazy about the Aeon closed. That's why I wasn't too enthused about the open one and decided to go with the AR-H1.

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #355 of 373
I didn't like the hp70 really, to closed feeling imo, I mean it sounded mor closed off than I wanted. felt like there was no where for the sound to go. wasn't looking for that. the m4u8 is closed also, but I didn't go over looking to buy another set of bt headphones. And I haven't heard the hp50. but I think the m4u8 is better over all. the anc on it is a little better I think, but was really good on both the hp70 and m4u8. I think the hp70 is starting at $379, maybe wait 6 months to a year to see if it goes down at all.

Thanks.

Well the schtick with the HP50 is that it follows the Harman target curve so it's very 'on point'. I like that. I know that it's maybe 60% of the quality of any other open pair that I own but a FR that is 'right' goes a long way for me. Especially when going closed.

Btw, I don't prefer warm headphones, which the HP50 are a bit (the highs are not recessed which is fantastic).

I'll definitely wait for the price to soften, retail price of headphones these days is ridiculous.

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #356 of 373
I just got the AR-H1 yesterday and my initial impression is that it is indeed phenomenal for the price. Great build quality - better than the Aeon closed I had, and a lot of other higher priced headphones for that matter. I wasn't that crazy about the Aeon closed. That's why I wasn't too enthused about the open one and decided to go with the AR-H1.

Ahh I really wanted to try these at the show and didnt make it to their booth. It was high on my list and I just forgot. I liked the Aeon Closed oddly better than the open but... That was in that noisy room. Really want to try the AR.

Oct 21, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #357 of 373
Based off what you heard, what was it lacking?
Sorry for late reply! Was not checking the head fi cuz it was too busy haha. To me nothing is lacking. Just a bit smoother maybe. But yea, no serious listening session. Only 1 song and i forgot what song is that. It is super comfy!!!

Oct 21, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #358 of 373
Can somebody give more impressions on new Fostex TH60RP, please?
T60rp is just so good. It has the fostex sound signature if you ever listen to fostex. Not far away from TH600/610

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #359 of 373

You’ve gotta post some initial impressions now!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back